Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical CompuSTAR Remote Start - Anyone have one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Newdl
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CompuSTAR Remote Start - Anyone have one?

Does anyone have a compuSTAR remote starter on thier MINI?

My parents have decided to get me this for my 22nd birthday. We have the #1 automotive acessories installer/retailer in the nation (rated by mobile electronics mag.) that will be doing the install. I am simply wondering if anyone else on this site has had this installed and what they think of it.

I understand the "issues" with installing a remote start in a manual. The kit I may be getting WILL NOT START UNLESS THE SYSTEM KNOWS THE CAR IS IN NEUTRAL!!!!

So, let me know!!!!!!!!!!!

(if you have any remote start your input would also be quite a help.)

Old 10-16-2006, 06:28 PM
Newdl
5th Gear
anyone?

Old 10-17-2006, 02:22 AM
BFG9000
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard you have to activate the system before you shutoff the car, for it to remote start later.

It leaves the car running until after the last door is closed and locked with the remote, sort of like a "turbo timer." The thinking is if the car was running in neutral when everybody was out of the car, it should be safe to start up unattended later too.

But my MINI warms up faster (and guzzles more gas) than any car I've ever had, so I've never bothered looking into a remote starter for it. That and I mostly drove it in Hawaii.

And I'm sure with all the BMWs around the installers should be very familiar with how to bypass the key chip ignition lock by now.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:41 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Because you have to park the car in neutral, I would use this system only on level ground. There have been numerous reports of handbrake failures resulting in MINIs rolling away on an incline (prevented if parked in gear).

Old 10-18-2006, 11:47 AM
Newdl
5th Gear
anyone else?

Old 10-18-2006, 11:59 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm going to be doing one for my Dad on his Toyota Camry but its a Bulldog system and it needs a special hanress adapter I don't have yet. Installs on these look fairly easy, I'll never do it on my MINI; bypassing the disabler and missing the sonderful starup sound just aren't worth it to me butp best of luck, if I come up with any tips after I get the Camry install done I'll be sure to apss them along.

You don't seem to have any specific questions, so I'm not really sure what you're looking for.

Old 10-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Newdl
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Newdl
that is my qustion...but thanks for your help

Old 10-18-2006, 06:04 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
that is my qustion...but thanks for your help
Ok
This threw me I thought oyu were looking for something more I just couldn't gather what.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:09 AM
jody
2nd Gear
I don't know so, I'll they you why you should not!

I asked a similar question about a month ago and all I receive was excuses why I should not do this. I'm looking to install a alarm and auto start like I have in my truck...
Was told how unlikely it is to have mini stole...got to leave in netural...(Never thought I might have an automatic)....allot of reasons not to but not any help...Let me know if you figure it out.....then someone will be here that can respond in a positive manner rather than make every excuse under the sun why you should not install it....(I wish if people don't know how to intall items, they would put their hands some where other than the keyboard to say "NO NO"...Look at post (Alarm Systems ) on page 2 and see what I mean...

My parents have decided to get me this for my 22nd birthday. We have the #1 automotive acessories installer/retailer in the nation (rated by mobile electronics mag.) that will be doing the install. I am simply wondering if anyone else on this site has had this installed and what they think of it.

I understand the "issues" with installing a remote start in a manual. The kit I may be getting WILL NOT START UNLESS THE SYSTEM KNOWS THE CAR IS IN NEUTRAL!!!!

So, let me know!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-24-2006, 07:28 AM
Chimera
5th Gear
I've also found that most people on here are against remote starters, probably because they assume everyone has manuals. I'm getting an RS (probably a Clifford) installed in my MCSa soon, my only concern is where they run the antenna for the started. On my wife's Scion tC they put the antenna on the windshield behind the rear view mirror, and ran the cable down the A pillar on the driver's side. On the MINI there are airbags in the A pillars, so I don't know where they will run that antenna wire....I guess I'll find out soon.

Old 10-24-2006, 02:19 PM
jody
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Chimera
I've also found that most people on here are against remote starters, probably because they assume everyone has manuals. I'm getting an RS (probably a Clifford) installed in my MCSa soon, my only concern is where they run the antenna for the started. On my wife's Scion tC they put the antenna on the windshield behind the rear view mirror, and ran the cable down the A pillar on the driver's side. On the MINI there are airbags in the A pillars, so I don't know where they will run that antenna wire....I guess I'll find out soon.

Let me know how the install goes...
Thanks

Old 10-24-2006, 04:58 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Look at this CompuSTAR webpage: http://support.fortinautoradio.com/f...rfirstechllc/#
They do not support BMW/MINI, no doubt because the smart chip in your key is required to start the car.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Chimera
5th Gear
Almost all remote start brands offer an add-on module that bypasses the transponder using a hidden key in the car. I intend to use my plastic valet key for that purpose, since it's not much use for anything else.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:47 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
In any case, you need to verify with Compustar. Either their website is out of date or you need to look at other vendors.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:30 AM
wkndracr
4th Gear
There shouldn't be any issues installing the remote start on the MINI, regardless of which brand you use. The ignition wiring is pretty standard, not like the new GMs where there is no starter wire, just a data line that does start, second ignition, accessory and keysense. I installed a system on a manual trans 3 series years ago that works like the one you describe (the engine stays running until you open and close the door), and it worked great and never came back with any problems. Assuming they will use a "key in a box" solution to bypass the immobiliser, the only drawback may be an exposed ring of wire around the key cylinder which is unavoidable on most bmw's due to the design of the key cylinder, but with the rubber that surrounds the cylinder on the MINI, they can probably sandwich it between the rubber and the plastic cylinder.