Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical water temp.gauge

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 10:13 AM
leon lindberg
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
water temp.gauge

I have a '05 mini cooper s. I need to install a coolant temperature gauge and would like to know if there is a place on the engine for a mechanical gauge. And also an oil pressure gauge.

Old 09-11-2006, 06:55 PM
One-D
2nd Gear
www.bentleypublishers.com

Mini service manual.

www.mossmini sells the manual for $84.95 (Part No. 100-067)

You want an electrical gauge, both water temperature as well as oil pressure.

Oil pressure, you buy a tee to mount both the factory one and the aftermarket gauge one.

Water temperature... don't have clue where to tap. Perhaps there is a location within the engine block --- a service manual can help you

Old 09-13-2006, 05:59 PM
90STX
5th Gear
Another option is a Scan Gauge II. It reads from the OBDII port, and will display numerical readings for four sensors at a time. Choices include coolant temp, intake air temp (post intercooler), manifold pressure (boost, in absolute values), timing, throttle position, closed loop vs open loop, actual mph, rpm and probably something else I'm not remembering right now.

The coolant temp reading is actual, not what is displayed on the factory "gauge". Same for mph. The MINI speedo reads high but the ECM knows the real speed and that is what comes through the OBDII port. If you've changed tire diameter, you can adjust displayed speed up and down in 1% increments.

Display backlight color is user editable, and includes an amber that matches the factory lighting quite well.

http://www.scangauge.com/

Scott
90SM

Old 09-14-2006, 09:59 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I installed a 'true' water temp gauge on my '03 with nav (which has no gauge at all, just a light). I used the block drain plug just above the starter. This area is in direct contact with engine coolant flow, unlike solutions which use a tee to mount a sensor in the radiator hose. Such installations tend to read lower in normal operating conditions, and very low before the engine reaches operating temperature and the thermostat opens (until that time there is no flow in that hose).

The block drain port is a common 3/8" pipe thread (not metric). Note that the starter is in close proximity to the port, and depending on the design of your sensor, you might have to loosen the starter in order to have clearance to thread the sensor in. Most mechanical gauges have a rather large sensing bulb with capillary tubing and required adaptor nut and as such wont fit. Any single-wire electric temp sender will fit without problems or a need for starter removal. I installed a full-sweep (270 degree needle swing) Auto Meter temp gauge which has a two wire sender which needed the starter to be dropped.

Note that in order to work in this area, you have to remove the exhaust header for clearance. Simply remove the header flange and pipe joint and lower the header rather than removing it entirely. Use a bucket to catch the coolant that will escape, and return it or replace it when done.