Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Fuse for the remote lock / unlock?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 04:58 PM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuse for the remote lock / unlock?

The remote lock / unlock decided to quit on me. I know the battery is charged in the key, and figure the circuit for the remote is protected by a fuse. (?)

Anyone know which one it is before I turn "Sam" over to Dr. Hendrick in Charlotte? I hate to drive that distance just for a blown fuse.

Help, please?

And yes, I did a search on the forum, but couldn't find anything for the remote...

Old 09-14-2005, 05:00 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rev. Limiter
The remote lock / unlock decided to quit on me. I know the battery is charged in the key, and figure the circuit for the remote is protected by a fuse. (?)
Wouldnt it be simpler to pop open the key, find the battery type and get a new battery?

Old 09-14-2005, 05:33 PM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Wouldnt it be simpler to pop open the key, find the battery type and get a new battery?
It's not the key.

I found a hot wire for my radar detector and it worked fine until I found a pothole from He** on the way to D.C. (on I-95) the other day and it shorted.

Just can't find the right fuse...

Old 10-09-2005, 03:46 AM
Arly
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuse for central locking

The fuse is located at the top of the 3rd collumn of fuses in the fuse box in the car. It is a 20 amp fuse. It is the first one at the top of the 3rd collumn, according to my Bentley Manual for 2002 thru 2004 MINI Coopers.

Hop this helps,

Old 10-10-2005, 05:28 AM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
Turned out that I had to "reformat" the key so it would talk to the car. My SA talked me thru it over the phone, and now everything seems to work okay. (Put the key in the ignition, turn to first click, remove, hold the wings down while pressing the unlock button three times - slowly - and it should work...)

I asked why the key would "forget" the code, and he said that he didn't know. But the more I think of it, the more I believe that the magnet money clip I was using was screwing things up. I know you are suppose to keep those money clips away from credit cards because it can scramble the info on the magnetic strip.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:10 PM
sck_nogas
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Rev. Limiter
Turned out that I had to "reformat" the key so it would talk to the car. My SA talked me thru it over the phone, and now everything seems to work okay. (Put the key in the ignition, turn to first click, remove, hold the wings down while pressing the unlock button three times - slowly - and it should work...)
Okay, how does one do this? My key (with fresh battery) won't lock/unlock, but the fuse is not blown since the power lock switch works. My questions are...

1) After turning the key to the first click, how to you "remove" and what do you remove? IE> Do I turn the key back to "off" and remove the key? OR something else?

2) Pressing the "unlock button" do you mean the switch under the radio, or the unlock button on the remote. (Isn't that the "wings button"?)

3) How slow should this be done? Hold down the unlock button/switch for 3 seconds, pause for 1 second? Or 3 times within 5 seconds? or?

I've tried alot of combinations, and still no joy in mudville.

Scott

Old 04-26-2006, 02:49 AM
wrecker
2nd Gear
Tiffany at Motot City Mini coached me through this yesterday. This is for an 05.

Insert the key and turn to the #2 position then remove the key. Point the key at the rear view mirror, (Antenna), hold down the unlock button on the remote and hit the Mini wings (Lock) 3 times. You will hear the locks cycle through lock and unlock. Then you must do the second key right away, same sequence but do not put the key in the ignition, just hold down the unlock button and press the lock button 3 times.

Good luck!