Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical How do I remove Right Kick Panel to get to Module?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 07:24 AM
SheaJeff
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I remove Right Kick Panel to get to Module?

I'm installing the factory rally lights, and need to make the last connection to the module behind the right front kick pannel (passenger's side) and can't figure out how to remove the plastic panel to get to the module.

I couldn't find it in the Bentley manual, so I thought I'd consult the REAL experts here.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-28-2005, 04:17 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The panel runs all along under the door.If you want to fully remove it, you need to remove the seat belt bracket (behind the front seat); then you pull the panel away from the door rubber edging - it is held in with snap-in clips all along and you should be able to release them all by pulling the panel apart from the cars body work.

You might consider removing the seat next, to give you room - but I have removed (and replaced) that trim panel without removing the seat; you just have to lever the panel up between body frame and seat, while sliding seat back & forth as needed.

You probably want to remove the glove box too (assuming US LHD car), to give you more room to get access to the BC1 wiring when the panel is removed.

NOTE:
I suspect you can get access without fully removing the panel, just levering it away from the body at the front in the passenger footwell. But it will then be in the way and if you are not confident doing this sort of work, it would be best to remove it completely.

Old 08-29-2005, 04:38 AM
SheaJeff
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Ian. I'll give that a try. It sounds pretty easy.

Is there a torque setting for the seat belt bracket? I've have to check in Bentley manual too.

Old 08-29-2005, 06:12 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SheaJeff
Is there a torque setting for the seat belt bracket? I've have to check in Bentley manual too.
Don't know, sorry.
But make sure it is tight - when my previous MINI had a (failed) stereo upgrade from Tweeter, they left that bracket loose
Only realized because it was rattling - hate to think what would have happened if we had needed the seat belt.