Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical PassPort 8500 Hardwire Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 02:36 PM
LimeyMCS
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PassPort 8500 Hardwire Install

Performed on an 03 MCS with a Passport 8500 & remote kit. A lot of readers suggest using the clock and/or mirror as a power source, however, I recommend against both for the passport because the power & ground cord length limit positioning of the remote unit. The aforementioned might be good for the V1 but these use the switched power to the OBD II port located under the steering wheel

1. Remove plastic cover under the steering wheel by firmly pulling. Pull straight down and it should pop right out.
2. Locate the OBD II port to lower left of the steering wheel - if you're unsure what an OBD port is, look under the dash and you'll see a small black box with a flip down cover.
3. Remove small amount of felt wrap from the wiring harness and locate the two-tone green wire. This is the switched power.
4. Use the supplied line splicer to tap into this green wire - NOTE: these clips do not always penetrate the wire insulation. Rotate the clip once or twice to make sure it connects to the wire.
5. Connect the ground wire to a screw located just under the driver's side air vent, to the left of the steering wheel.
6. Remove the plastic panel on the Right side of the dash - it's the piece closest to the door.
7. Route the "phone cord" which connectsto the detector head unit through this opening, and up between the weather stripping. TIP: Perform a dry fit of the detector cord to get approximate measurement of how much cord is needed to reach the detector head unit. I located my head to the above and to the right of the mirror. NOTE: The 8500 has a rear facing sensor. If you mount it on the right and too high the sensor does not have clear line of sight and will not function (very well.) You want to make sure you have enough at both ends in case you want move them.
8.Continue routing the cord up behind plastic cover on the pillar. TIP: if you're having trouble you can use a very small allan key (or paper clip) like a hook to pull the cover back and make it easier to insert.
9. Continue routing the chord under the headliner. STOP: Before doing this consider washing your hands to avoid getting the headliner dirty.
10. Before final fit test power: power on the car to ensure everthing is working. If it doesn't power up the first time check the power clip to ensure it's connected to wire; wiggle the ground connector to ensure it's properly gorunded.
11.Placing the remote unit is up to you - I placed mine to the left of radio stack in an inconspicuous location that could be easily reached from both the steering wheel and the shifter. I didn't use the supplied velcro but sandwiched the wires between the previously removed panel and the dash. Looks very clean with no exposed wires.

Before re attaching the panel attach the plastic "boot" on the power passport cord to the splitter to ensure it doesn't come loose. You also might want to wrap and secure the excess cable to avoid rattles and wire chaffing. I wrapped with a twist tie and used black electrical tape to secure it the OBD II wire harness.

I haven't taken any pictures, but can if anyone wants to see the finished product

Old 03-31-2005, 06:01 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very timely post LimeyMCS!

Looks like with my Discover credit card cashback, I can essentially get this unit for free at The Sharper Image... sort of a no-brainer...

If not asking too much, I would love to see some photos!

Thanks much.

EDIT: Just noticed that was your first post! Welcome to NAM. You must be the first to post a How-To as an initial post .

Can you elaborate as to what the "remote" kit allows for exactly? Thanks again.

Old 03-31-2005, 07:46 PM
CARdiac
5th Gear
I have heard some people use an "add-a-fuse." What is that?

Old 03-31-2005, 07:56 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Old 04-01-2005, 06:25 AM
LimeyMCS
Neutral
I know there were a lot of posts covering various elements of RD installs but most were for the V1 and the balance of instructions for the 8500 focused on the clock/mirror/visor/add-a-fuse, and involved drilling holes for the ground connection (using the clock/mirror)...I didn't see any with detailed instructions for using the OBD II "method" - I'll take some pics today and post.

The remote kit is a small control unit for 8500 that allows you to run the head unit in dark mode and have it installed up against the headliner - it also has a mute button.

Old 04-01-2005, 07:27 AM
LimeyMCS
Neutral
Here are the "post" pictures

Attached Thumbnails PassPort 8500 Hardwire Install-dsc00124.jpg   PassPort 8500 Hardwire Install-dsc00125.jpg   PassPort 8500 Hardwire Install-dsc00127.jpg  
Old 04-01-2005, 09:18 AM
TonyB
6th Gear
A picture is worth a 1,000 words! Thanks much.

I find myself to be in the ignorant stage at this point when it comes to radar detection, so I appreciate the info. I was sort of hoping that "remote" would mean that one could mount the main unit somewhere more out-of-sight while a smaller sensor(s) could be ideally positioned to recieve such signals...

Very helpful info, thanks again.

Old 04-02-2005, 05:25 AM
azuul
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TonyB
A picture is worth a 1,000 words! Thanks much.

I find myself to be in the ignorant stage at this point when it comes to radar detection, so I appreciate the info. I was sort of hoping that "remote" would mean that one could mount the main unit somewhere more out-of-sight while a smaller sensor(s) could be ideally positioned to recieve such signals...

Very helpful info, thanks again.
I agree exactly. My next purchase is a radar detector, either the Passport 8500 or the Bel (can't remember the number, but its comparable to the Passport). Anyway, I am a novice when it comes to installation and I would like the look to be clean. Thanks for the pics.