Electrical Wiring in Fog Lights/Driving Lights/Side Lights??

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024, 09:13 PM
Alexr54
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation Wiring in Fog Lights/Driving Lights/Side Lights??

Ok so im confused about the terminology i should be using.
My Base R60 came with Parking Lights (This i am sure of).

What i've done so far is removed the parking lights, installed the "fog light" brackets (or whatever they are really called for MINI's) and installed Halo LED "Fog Lights" (?).
I also removed the original button bank and replaced it with a OEM bank with the "Fog Light" button.

I coded in Fog Lights.
Plugged the new button bank in, all buttons i had before work fine but the "Fog Light" button does not do a thing. Which i expected because they are wired in like the Parking Lights were. They are on when the headlamps are on. Which i really don't want.
What i do want is to have them run as DRL's, and also have the "Fog Light" button work for the non DRL portion.

I found this Driving Light retrofit wiring kit 63-12-0-420-298
Not sure if this will do me any good or not.It's on order anyway.
Also found this 61118808706
Again, not sure if this is useful for me or not.

I'm having a really really really hard time finding the information i need in order to replace the parking lights with "fog lights" as if they came with "fog lights" from the factory, with the OEM button for the "fog lights" working in the center dash button bank.
I can wire whatever is needed, i can add or tap into the FRM, i can add a relay, i can tap into the fuse panel. Whatever is needed. Problem is i just don't know what is needed and i cant find it on these forums or anywhere on the internet.
Im probably using the wrong terminology which i am sure is not helping.

Ive asked before and got no replies. But i refuse to give up yet!
Is anyone on these forums able to help me out? Drop some knowledge on me?

Last edited by Alexr54; 05-25-2024 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-31-2024, 08:16 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,004 Likes on 1,800 Posts
Yep, you are going into new territory. I know the cars with factory fog lights in the bumper have that different wiring. That other one might be able to splice in.

Their is a bunch on info on the Gen1 and Gen 2 MINIs, but not much on the countryman with this mod. Also on the final years of Countryman Cars MINI added the DRL factory in the fog light section. So they updated that light and the wiring.

https://www.motoringfile.com/2014/05...nges-lighting/

Driving light kit will work for the "rally light" i guess with some work you could make it the fog light set up. Good luck and post up what you find works.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 05-31-2024, 10:25 AM
Alexr54
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Yep, you are going into new territory. I know the cars with factory fog lights in the bumper have that different wiring. That other one might be able to splice in.

Their is a bunch on info on the Gen1 and Gen 2 MINIs, but not much on the countryman with this mod. Also on the final years of Countryman Cars MINI added the DRL factory in the fog light section. So they updated that light and the wiring.

https://www.motoringfile.com/2014/05...nges-lighting/

Driving light kit will work for the "rally light" i guess with some work you could make it the fog light set up. Good luck and post up what you find works.

Im still trying new things.
For now i went ahead and ordered a used R60 xenon harness for both left/right sides. I believe that harness comes with the wiring for the bumper fog lights.
I also replaced the halogen headlights to xenon. Which are working fine after the coding, except for the high beams.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (05-31-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 02:15 PM
Alexr54
2nd Gear
What ive found so far.

The parking lights and the fog lights use the same wiring colors.
left = bk/gn
right = wh/bl

The fog lights should go into the FMR
left = x14261 pin 50
right = x14260 pin 8

I have not traced them yet to see if this is the same for the parking lights.

Why this information is so hard to come by is nuts.

Old 06-12-2024, 04:44 PM
Alexr54
2nd Gear
This looks like the relevant info.
I am no professional electrician. But seems like the fogs lights are just wired to certain pins in the FRM.
And based on the traces ive done for the parking light wires (same color wires as the fogs) they are plugged into completely different pins on the FRM.

This one looks like its for the rear

This one looks to be for the front

Last edited by Alexr54; 06-12-2024 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-12-2024, 05:40 PM
Alexr54
2nd Gear
Just incase anyone else needs this info. And since its kinda hard to find, and anywhere it can be found is not really in a legible format. And if your dyslexic - forget about it.
Here it is. The pinout for the FWM attached in an excel sheet.
If i can find the time to add wire colors i will. Anyone else can feel free to fix/update it as they see fit.

I find it hard to believe i am the first person to do this with the parking lights to fogs using oem buttons. It did not come with the oem fog light option, i want to add it in while also changing the button bank to use the oem fog light button.
The DRL and what not is in addition to that, but changing the parking lights to fogs and using the button bank for it is the main thing.

The coding is the simple part here it seems. Because that information is at least available. But the wiring seems like its a big secret for some strange reason.
I wish the oem retrofit kits were still being made. But nope.

Attached Files
File Type: xlsx
FWM_Pinout.xlsx (12.5 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Alexr54; 06-12-2024 at 05:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
2014 MC (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 04:05 PM
Alexr54
2nd Gear
It looks like there just is no standard when it comes to the FRM and color coding for each pin.
On my X14260 pin 8 i have a yellow/black (GE/SW) wire.
Nowhere in the entire wiring schematic is there a wire color like that on pin 8 on the X14260 connector.
I have no idea what that wire does now.