Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED fog light bulbs

Old 04-18-2019, 09:26 AM
putttn
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LED fog light bulbs

Anyone know if there are LED fog light bulbs available for the fog lights that are on the lowest part of front bumper?

Old 05-04-2019, 07:56 PM
putttn
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To answer my own question. Yes they are.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:03 PM
Walt
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can one replace the stock bulbs with LED bulbs, without tripping some kind of computer fault claiming the fog light bulb burned out (because the LED's draw a lot less current)?

Old 05-05-2019, 02:12 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 250 Likes on 243 Posts
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Can one replace the stock bulbs with LED bulbs, without tripping some kind of computer fault claiming the fog light bulb burned out (because the LED's draw a lot less current)?
I know not with the front fog lights. Why? Because the kit includes a relay rather than some fancy Motorola IC that can tell you your light burnt out. But I see no point in switching to LES if you motivation is to save power. Why waste hard earned money when your car won't be faster after the switch?

Old 05-05-2019, 02:18 PM
Walt
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pnwR53S View Post
But I see no point in switching to LES if you motivation is to save power. Why waste hard earned money when your car won't be faster after the switch?
Switching to LED's allows one to get a much brighter light, without the higher heat problem as shown over in this other thread here, https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ig-lights.html

BTW, with more light, you can drive faster safely at night.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:17 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 250 Likes on 243 Posts
Remember these are fog lights. Do more lumens work better in the fog? Fog lights work well with a delicate balance of not having too much light that reflect back to you to blind you and with the correct aim angle. So more light does not necessary translate to safer driving. I have no idea the cause of his experience of melted housing. I haven't have this problem with H7 bulbs that is also 55W.