Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical LED fog light bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 09:26 AM
putttn
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
LED fog light bulbs

Anyone know if there are LED fog light bulbs available for the fog lights that are on the lowest part of front bumper?

Old 05-04-2019, 07:56 PM
putttn
5th Gear
To answer my own question. Yes they are.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:03 PM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Can one replace the stock bulbs with LED bulbs, without tripping some kind of computer fault claiming the fog light bulb burned out (because the LED's draw a lot less current)?

Old 05-05-2019, 02:12 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Walt
Can one replace the stock bulbs with LED bulbs, without tripping some kind of computer fault claiming the fog light bulb burned out (because the LED's draw a lot less current)?
I know not with the front fog lights. Why? Because the kit includes a relay rather than some fancy Motorola IC that can tell you your light burnt out. But I see no point in switching to LES if you motivation is to save power. Why waste hard earned money when your car won't be faster after the switch?

Old 05-05-2019, 02:18 PM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
But I see no point in switching to LES if you motivation is to save power. Why waste hard earned money when your car won't be faster after the switch?
Switching to LED's allows one to get a much brighter light, without the higher heat problem as shown over in this other thread here, https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ig-lights.html

BTW, with more light, you can drive faster safely at night.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:17 PM
pnwR53S
Remember these are fog lights. Do more lumens work better in the fog? Fog lights work well with a delicate balance of not having too much light that reflect back to you to blind you and with the correct aim angle. So more light does not necessary translate to safer driving. I have no idea the cause of his experience of melted housing. I haven't have this problem with H7 bulbs that is also 55W.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:46 AM
putttn
5th Gear
The only thing different with these housings was the clear film I installed to prevent a rock from breaking them. It just covered the front of the lens.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:54 AM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by putttn
The only thing different with these housings was the clear film I installed to prevent a rock from breaking them. It just covered the front of the lens.
The clear film likely explains the melting. You would be very surprised how much light is attenuated with it. The light loss translates into heat energy the plastic housing has to dissipate, and these housings are very marginal to begin with having 40w halogen bulb in it.

The films that I am installing onto the Porsche I elect not to have the head lights "protected" and these are the reasons. They are projection lights and who knows the potentially damaging light spectrum that is reflected back into the fixture.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:19 PM
veedubpat
4th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by pnwR53S
Remember these are fog lights. Do more lumens work better in the fog?
When in a properly designed housing with correct cut-offs, yes. More light output low and wide will improve foul-weather lighting performance. Removing blue from the output color spectrum will further this benefit.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:23 PM
pnwR53S
Originally Posted by veedubpat
When in a properly designed housing with correct cut-offs, yes. More light output low and wide will improve foul-weather lighting performance. Removing blue from the output color spectrum will further this benefit.
You should address the big question of LED bulb replacement, not merely if more light the better. e.g. how would you select the proper LED bulb given the housing has correct cutoff. A pretty good chance the LED bulb does not replicate the inefficient halogen bulb that Heller designed for. Oh, and do comment the color spectrum correction too. And I am not the one who want to do the swapping.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:26 PM
veedubpat
4th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
I'm sure you're more than capable of doing a bit of research as the internet has been very alive for over 20 years, so feel free. Select yellow bulbs, updated fog light housings, properly-relayed wiring harnesses, modern LED conversions have adjustable cut-offs built into their design, etc.

Feel free.

My original comment stands: when applied appropriately, more light means better visibility.