North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Electrical (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical-127/)
-   -   Electrical LED fog light bulbs (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical/338088-led-fog-light-bulbs.html)

putttn 04-18-2019 09:26 AM

LED fog light bulbs

Anyone know if there are LED fog light bulbs available for the fog lights that are on the lowest part of front bumper?

putttn 05-04-2019 07:56 PM

To answer my own question. Yes they are.

Walt 05-05-2019 02:03 PM

Can one replace the stock bulbs with LED bulbs, without tripping some kind of computer fault claiming the fog light bulb burned out (because the LED's draw a lot less current)?

pnwR53S 05-05-2019 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Walt (Post 4467760)
Can one replace the stock bulbs with LED bulbs, without tripping some kind of computer fault claiming the fog light bulb burned out (because the LED's draw a lot less current)?

I know not with the front fog lights. Why? Because the kit includes a relay rather than some fancy Motorola IC that can tell you your light burnt out. But I see no point in switching to LES if you motivation is to save power. Why waste hard earned money when your car won't be faster after the switch?

Walt 05-05-2019 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by pnwR53S (Post 4467765)
But I see no point in switching to LES if you motivation is to save power. Why waste hard earned money when your car won't be faster after the switch?

Switching to LED's allows one to get a much brighter light, without the higher heat problem as shown over in this other thread here, https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ig-lights.html :eek2:

BTW, with more light, you can drive faster safely at night. :nod:

pnwR53S 05-05-2019 03:17 PM

Remember these are fog lights. Do more lumens work better in the fog? Fog lights work well with a delicate balance of not having too much light that reflect back to you to blind you and with the correct aim angle. So more light does not necessary translate to safer driving. I have no idea the cause of his experience of melted housing. I haven't have this problem with H7 bulbs that is also 55W.

putttn 06-02-2019 06:46 AM

The only thing different with these housings was the clear film I installed to prevent a rock from breaking them. It just covered the front of the lens.

pnwR53S 06-02-2019 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by putttn (Post 4473354)
The only thing different with these housings was the clear film I installed to prevent a rock from breaking them. It just covered the front of the lens.

The clear film likely explains the melting. You would be very surprised how much light is attenuated with it. The light loss translates into heat energy the plastic housing has to dissipate, and these housings are very marginal to begin with having 40w halogen bulb in it.

The films that I am installing onto the Porsche I elect not to have the head lights "protected" and these are the reasons. They are projection lights and who knows the potentially damaging light spectrum that is reflected back into the fixture.

veedubpat 06-04-2019 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by pnwR53S (Post 4467775)
Remember these are fog lights. Do more lumens work better in the fog?

When in a properly designed housing with correct cut-offs, yes. More light output low and wide will improve foul-weather lighting performance. Removing blue from the output color spectrum will further this benefit.

pnwR53S 06-04-2019 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by veedubpat (Post 4473986)
When in a properly designed housing with correct cut-offs, yes. More light output low and wide will improve foul-weather lighting performance. Removing blue from the output color spectrum will further this benefit.

You should address the big question of LED bulb replacement, not merely if more light the better.:roll: e.g. how would you select the proper LED bulb given the housing has correct cutoff. A pretty good chance the LED bulb does not replicate the inefficient halogen bulb that Heller designed for. Oh, and do comment the color spectrum correction too. :wink: And I am not the one who want to do the swapping.

veedubpat 06-13-2019 03:26 PM

I'm sure you're more than capable of doing a bit of research as the internet has been very alive for over 20 years, so feel free. Select yellow bulbs, updated fog light housings, properly-relayed wiring harnesses, modern LED conversions have adjustable cut-offs built into their design, etc.

Feel free.

My original comment stands: when applied appropriately, more light means better visibility.