Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical frm

Old 11-17-2017, 08:33 AM
icetoni21
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
frm

hi , i m having a problem with the frm , mini s r56, i replace it with a used one all workin axept xenon lights. they are shaking. the frm is hight eks. is it need programing ?

Old 03-06-2018, 12:52 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
was is the same part no? or a compatible one? mine does the same, I will try program it and see if that was the issue.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:18 PM
OGMojotronGT
Neutral
FRM replacement or reflash

Same here - Xenon equipped car, and my replacement FRM is not playing nice with the Xenons or factory fog lights. MiniToBe or icetoni21 did you solve this?

Old 06-01-2018, 04:40 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
The sad news is that when I used ISTA/P to reprogram it along with other modules, I ended up bricking my JBE. Even though I did this many times, for some reason this time it was a knockout. I think because I kept swapping the JBE mamy times, the car now doesnt want to start lol. The good news is the damage hasnt gone furher than the JBE.

Was your FRM an exact match to the one you had?

Forgot to mention that the dealer should replace it at no cost since it is a known issue. Give them a call and see what they say.

The following users liked this post:
OGMojotronGT (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 10:12 AM
OGMojotronGT
Neutral
FRM communication

Thanks for the quick response, MiniToBe! Everything else is now working, except for the flickering lights I was so close. I haven't seen my interior lights or operated my windows in months, until I replaced the FRM last night and it all came on, except for the Xenons!

Admittedly, I didn't spec the VO when I bought the replacement, only looked at part numbers. There are many series of numbers that match, and a few that don't. I'll call up the dealer to see if they'll honor this common failure, lucky for me they're only 3 miles away.

Edit: I'll also be putting the original FRM back in the car to get it over there..

Last edited by OGMojotronGT; 06-01-2018 at 10:14 AM. Reason: added last line
Old 06-02-2018, 11:23 PM
OGMojotronGT
Neutral
Just in time

Called the dealer Friday, happily my car was one covered by the factory extended warranty! Unfortunately it expired 4 months before the FRM decided to brick! Perfect timing....

So I've got my collections of NCSExpert, INPA, BimmerGeeks tools, OBD2<>USB cable and a cleared out garage.. I will have a nice talking-to with the new (to me) FRM tomorrow as long as I can get the software to load on my computer!

Old 06-03-2018, 01:12 PM
OGMojotronGT
Neutral
Still flickering

So after a few minutes digging into NCSExpert, I have got the Xenons to stay on solid with the computer! but they won't stay solid on once the computer is disconnected and I'm using the lamp switch stalk. Strange. Also there is no high beam functionality whatsoever; next I'm going to try to set this FRM to factory VO for my VIN and see what happens. Fingers crossed.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:17 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
It's like your looking at my car...lol

I just got mine updated via WinkFp. The issue is when I use NCSexpert, it gives me a fault writing the VO. When I ran ISTD, the error was something about matching versions. My car wont start for other reasons but once I get it to run, I'll check ISTP if it makes any difference.

Did you start the car and tried the high beam as well?

Old 06-03-2018, 03:52 PM
OGMojotronGT
Neutral
Still flickering

I did! Ignition on, and engine running, both conditions are the same- flickering low beams when operated by the switch, solid on/off when operated by computer, no high beams at all.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:16 PM
Force10
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll be watching this thread closely. I'm having similar issues with my headlights. They will stay on solid if manually turned on, but a few seconds after startup the disco is on.

My cable is in the mail, and I'm sure I'll have a huge learning curve with NCS. Is it possible to wipe/reset the original FRM with NCS Expert if it is having these issues?