Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Right front parking lamp malfunction! error message

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 06:09 PM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right front parking lamp malfunction! error message

Hello folks! I am in need of your help and advice. So several weeks ago, I started my car up and immediately got an error message that said, "Right front parking lamp malfunction!" Normally, this would be an easy fix because I would just change the light bulb; however, I have the MINI DRL LED fog lights installed. I have had this installed since December 2013, and it has just started to have problems around late Sept/early Oct of this year.

So here's what happens: when I have the lights in the off position, I still get the full "halo" effect. When I have the headlights on, the top part of "ring" does not light up like it's supposed to. And when I turn on the fog lights, the same top part of the "ring" still does not light up. This is all for the right side only. The left side still works like normal.

Here's the weird part, the error message would go away from time to time after driving the car a few times, and then the next day, it would just start like normal without an error message about the parking lamp malfunction. I could never predict when it would give me the error message and when it won't. Usually, the message would only last a couple days and disappear for like a week or two. This has probably cycled about 5-6 times since the first time. Now, the error message is back and has been around for about a week now, and now it seems like it's here to stay.

So, I was wondering if anyone here has any ideas where to start on figuring this out? Is it also possible that the source of the problem could be the FRM module? I'm open to any ideas before I take off the bumper again. I did open up the little plastic cover from the wheel well and flashed a light to see if any of the connectors are loose and as far as I can tell, it's on there good. I hope someone can lead me in the right direction for solve this. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-16-2017, 05:06 PM
2013_Roadster
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Make sure the entire light is on. I was getting the same message for my left front parking lamp malfunction. When I'd look, it was lit, or so I thought.

Right side of light is not lit.

Hard to see unless you're paying attention. My error was always there on start up but lately it's been going off while driving.

This may not be your issue but it's worth a check. I replaced the bulb with some surplus led's I had: