Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Tried out NCS Expert, now KOMBI and SHD is broken?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 02:06 PM
olemartinorg
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tried out NCS Expert, now KOMBI and SHD is broken?

Hi all!

I recently got my hands on a (slightly) used 2010 MINI Cooper D (non-S). I'm a tinkerer at heart, so it didn't take long for me to order a DCAN-cable off of ebay. When i got it, i had already read through the guide from Comasynthesis and it seemed pretty straight forward. I set it all up (i consider my computer skills to be fairly strong, and this was a breeze), and got to work in my R56.

Now, everything went smoothly until i noticed (after coding a few ECUs) that there were a few warning lamps lit up. When i opened the settings menu in the navigation computer to check out any messages, these errors/warnings showed up:
  • $SID_CC_MESSAGE_820$
  • Speedometer display faulty!
  • Soft top controller has failed!
  • Set time and date
  • Trailer tow bar electronics!
  • TPM failure!
  • Sunroof anti-trap function!
Most of these fit with the ECUs i coded. I know i changed some values in KOMBI to always enable the digital speedometer, and i know i read the values from the SHD (but i'm unsure if i coded that ECU, because i didn't need to do any changes).

Now, i'm thinking that the problem occurred because i used older Daten files (V38), and that the software on the car itself was newer than that. I tried the V40 files i found somewhere on the forum here today, I just read and wrote the settings back to the KOMBI ECU - but nothing changed. I also tried V45, but i couln't get that to work.

Does anyone have any suggestion on what to do next, or has anyone been down this same road? My tachometer (except the LCDs) and fuel gauge doesn't work anymore, and there's a lot of error messages and warning lights constantly lit/beeping. I'll have to take it to the shop if i can't fix this myself, but that'll probably cost me a pretty penny..

Thanks in advance for any helpful pointers!

Old 12-10-2014, 11:58 AM
olemartinorg
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No-one likes a single post without an answer, so here's the rest of the story - how it played out.

I ended up taking the car to the local BMW dealer, and the guy there laughed a bit when he found out that my car (the R56 hatch) actually believed it was a convertible. The "daten" files that said R56 must have been for R57 or R59, i guess.

I spent 3300 NOK (~460 USD) on the re-coding job at the dealer. But heck, they washed my MINI in the mean time - so it wasn't all bad.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:02 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
I would have washed your car for 1550 NOK (whatever that is?), airfare on you as well.