Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Ian Cull's Auto-up v7 - auto-fog not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 01:07 PM
gonzo
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ian Cull's Auto-up v7 - auto-fog not working

I cant seem to get a email or phone reply from fes-auto so if anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. This is installed on an '06 JCW.

I did the "long install" following the instructions. The circuit passed all of the testing methods they recommended. The auto-up on the windows works properly but the auto-fog lights do not seem to work.

When programming I have tried it both with the engine running and with it in the ACC mode. I hold the lock toggle up, get the beep, tap the fog light, get a beep, release the lock, get the beep and a couple seconds later another beep.

Auto-fog lights do not work. Any ideas?

When the auto-fog does work, does the light in the switch come on like it does normally? Is it supposed to come on with the headlights or only the parking lights? I cant get either to work.

Thanks

g

Old 10-01-2014, 01:35 PM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
might be a dumb question, but your sure the fogs work regardless?
maybe just burned out bulbs?

Old 10-01-2014, 01:58 PM
gonzo
3rd Gear
That's not a dumb question at all! I have been known to space-out on the obvious at times so I appreciate all ideas. In this case tho, the fogs do work regardless. I should have posted that in the original post..but I spaced it!

Thanks for the reply!

Old 10-01-2014, 05:06 PM
gonzo
3rd Gear
I should add that I can still manually turn the fog lights on and off, the auto function just doesn't work.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:04 AM
gonzo
3rd Gear
Update: It seems to work intermittently, and when it does it only works once. Once I turn the headlights off the auto function wont work again. I have to cycle the ignition off and back on again then it sometimes will work again for one headlight-on cycle but most of the time it doesn't work even that once.

The fog lights work consistently when operated manually. This, along with auto-up window function working tells me that the device is hooked up correctly. Its just a defective unit. Unfortunately fes-auto does not respond to emails or phone calls. I have tried contacting them multiple times over the past few days. At this time I would highly not recommend doing business with them. :(

Old 10-04-2014, 05:10 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gonzo
Update: It seems to work intermittently, and when it does it only works once. Once I turn the headlights off the auto function wont work again. I have to cycle the ignition off and back on again then it sometimes will work again for one headlight-on cycle but most of the time it doesn't work even that once. The fog lights work consistently when operated manually. This, along with auto-up window function working tells me that the device is hooked up correctly. Its just a defective unit. Unfortunately fes-auto does not respond to emails or phone calls. I have tried contacting them multiple times over the past few days. At this time I would highly not recommend doing business with them. :(
Sorry to hear of your problems...did you plug it in by reaching up or pulling the dash down and making sure it was fully seated? I would try releasing it and reseating. Very easy to bend a pin on these.

As for original question. Fogs on mine come on with driving lights not just full headlights it takes 1-2 seconds though...per design.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:16 AM
gonzo
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Kahnfucious
Sorry to hear of your problems...did you plug it in by reaching up or pulling the dash down and making sure it was fully seated? I would try releasing it and reseating. Very easy to bend a pin on these.

As for original question. Fogs on mine come on with driving lights not just full headlights it takes 1-2 seconds though...per design.
I did the "long install". When I saw that little access door I knew it wasn't for me.

The DSC defeat also works, the only thing that doesn't is the auto-fog. After playing with it the other day I got it to work 3 times but each time it would only work once unless I turned the car off and back on again.

Also great news. Matt called me back and has been very helpful so far. Hopefully we can get this thing working.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:55 AM
bjcarter2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This seems to be a common issue.

Mine has been intermittent since day one of the install. Some days it works as advertised. Some days it doesn't work at all. Some days it turns the fogs on but they turn off. The DSC and auto-up have worked flawlessly though.

I gave up fiddling with it and just reach over and turn the fogs on manually.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:15 PM
gonzo
3rd Gear
Well, we're back to bad news. What appeared to be the beginnings of helpful customer service turned out not to be. We did exchange a couple emails but then he quit replying and never followed through with his promises.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:33 PM
PrplPplEtr
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had the same interaction with them several years ago, same outcome. Just learned to live with it. During the first 8 seconds after starting the car, if I turn on my headlights, the fogs come on too. But after that, no more fog control.

Sent from my Moto X using NAMotoring

Old 10-23-2014, 07:39 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Have you tried to contact Ian? You might be able to contact him through one of his webpages; www.gbmini.net or www.gpmini.net. There is a contact link on his gbmini.net page.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:06 AM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
I contacted Ian on FaceBook, you might try that too. Gonzo, I know it's a long shot, but try resetting the ECU.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:45 PM
zamfield
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any update on this?
I was planning on buying one until I read this...

Old 10-29-2014, 12:08 PM
gonzo
3rd Gear
Zamfield,

Nope. I think its smart for you to carefully consider your purchase. If you only want it for one of the other features, it works great. If one of the reasons you want to buy it is for the auto-fog then expect it may not work.

Either way, if you are concerned about the merchant standing behind their product and providing customer support then you may want to think twice. After emailing him for support a few times and calling his published number at least daily he finally had a short spurt of emails where he admitted this was a problem that other customers have also experienced. He said he was going to send me a replacement. I offered to help him troubleshoot it by trying to get a scope on it to see what kind of adjustments he could make to get rid of the problem.

Unfortunately I never got the promised replacement and I never heard from him again. I even sent follow-up emails and nothing. The only recourse you will have here is calling your credit card to charge-back the charges.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:03 AM
iguana_juan
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought an auto windows up a couple of weeks ago, Fes auto has already charged my credit card but I have not received the merchandise, they won't answer e-mails or phone calls, I read this thread to late.
Does any one else is in the same situation?

Old 11-19-2014, 01:23 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by iguana_juan
I bought an auto windows up a couple of weeks ago, Fes auto has already charged my credit card but I have not received the merchandise, they won't answer e-mails or phone calls, I read this thread to late.
Does any one else is in the same situation?
Sad...
the auto up module is almost a MANDATORY gen1 mod....
Have heard of some medial issues....not sure to be honest..
but generally the business (FES) seems to be pretty much dead....occasionally the owner seems to make a batch and sell them after months of prodding...but not many folks who have NOT posted that it took MONTHS....some have opted to get refunds through their payment company (visa/MS/Paypal)...

Back when the original maker of the units were selling them (a member) , he would do a group-buy every 6 months or so...and ship a batch...so the reality is the "waiting" is not much longer...just less communication perhaps...

Old 03-26-2019, 04:22 PM
audihere
4th Gear
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
Has anyone ever figured this problem with the auto fog lights feature out yet? I feel like it's not even really "programming" itself when following instructions. It's set up basically how I wanted it luckily, but even with the beeps and LED flash, it doesn't seem to take.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:24 PM
socalva
1st Gear
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
If you can't get it figured out, I created my own version of the auto up module. I have 10 or so left from the last batch I made, check my post history.