Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical HID fog issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Tillos
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID fog issue

Hey all, so I opted for some obnoxious 3000k HIDs for my fogs, and got the full plug-n-play from DDM tuning.

After weeks they finally went in yesterday and of course they won't fire properly.

Driver side went in first, tested it, it lit, looked great.

Passenger side went in, turned lights on, then fogs, and the running fog (the little guy on top) blew out. The actual fog itself is not lighting, but the driver side still will.

As for testing it with the motor running, the driver bulb flickers instead of staying lit, and still, the passenger bulb won't light.

From what I've determined, the 35watts needed to power the bulb is being sent to both bulbs, and it isn't enough for the HID itself.

Fuses that control the fogs are individual to each housing, but fuses the whole connection, which includes the top and bottom bulbs - so pulling a fuse isn't going to help.

Am I going to need a seperate power supply or is this just not going to happen at all?

TL;DR - Running fogs with headlights work, HID fogs below will not.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:01 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My understanding is that the little running lights are 100% individual from the fog lamps themselves. So the fact that those still work fine really isn't connected, I wouldn't think.

As for the HID kit not working, was it advertised as a full plug and play, no hassle kit and you installed it 100% according to the instructions? If so, get in touch with DDM and troubleshoot with them. A manufacturer should stand behind their poduct and provide plenty of tech support and troubleshooting to find if you need any replacement parts or not.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Tillos
1st Gear
Originally Posted by InjectedGT
As for the HID kit not working, was it advertised as a full plug and play, no hassle kit and you installed it 100% according to the instructions?
Super simple hook up, just needed to find your own place to mount the ballasts. No other parts were shown to be needed at all, but I'm certainly going to contact them on lunch when I have a minute or two. It honestly seems like the lights aren't getting the power they need, I'm just not sure why. It was also strange that the bulb died as soon as I tried to fire them up - which is why I'm concerned.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Trizzz
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Tillos
Super simple hook up, just needed to find your own place to mount the ballasts. No other parts were shown to be needed at all, but I'm certainly going to contact them on lunch when I have a minute or two. It honestly seems like the lights aren't getting the power they need, I'm just not sure why. It was also strange that the bulb died as soon as I tried to fire them up - which is why I'm concerned.
Don't forget that HID have a +/- side on the plug (ballast to car plug) try to swith the connector side
(I had this problem last week when I installed my DDM kit on my R53)

Old 09-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Tillos
1st Gear
I did think about this as well, I know I tried inverting the ballast to OEM plug, but I still had the same issue. I'll play with it later and post results. I'm hoping it's an easy fix, but I'm still worried about power supply.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Tillos
1st Gear
One other thing that still isn't explained - why would the working bulb flicker when the car is running, but if the motor is off, it doesn't?