Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Enable BFD1 and BFD2

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 04:06 PM
PNWMini
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Enable BFD1 and BFD2

I would like to enable BFD on my Mini. My goal is to enable my rear fogs as BFD1 and blink only the center stop lamp for BFD2.

I searched and read threads about this but haven't found any definitive closure on enabling it. I found trace files from an R56 and R60 from Europe; those cars don't have BFD1 enabled but do have BFD2. There are also some keywords for BFD without a 1 or 2 and I can’t tell if these are for both or from older versions.

It's hard to check implementation without a second person so I thought I would run it by the people here for feedback before implementing any changes.

To turn on BFD 2:
Code:
BFD2_AKTIV ≫ change to aktiv (turns on BFD2)
BFD2_ESS_ENABLE  ≫ change to aktiv (turns on BFD2 display)
BFD2_ESS_ANZEIGE ≫ change to aktiv (turns on BFD2 display/indicator)
BFD2_BL_M ≫ change to blinkend (blinks the CHMSL, the center brake light only)
BFD2_NSL ≫ change to dauer_an (rear fog lights on [solid light, no blinking])
BFD2_BLINKEN ≫ leave at 3_hz (already set)
This should turn the rear fogs on (or leave the rear fogs on from BFD1 if I can get that to work) and blink the CHMSL.

To turn on BFD1:
Code:
BFD_1_ALGORITHMUS ≫ change to aktiv
BFD_1_MIT_NSL ≫ wert_01
This should turn on the rear fog lights but I’m not 100% confident on the BFD_1_MIT_NSL keyword. The German car uses wert_00 while mine is wert_01 but both cars have BFD_1_ALGORITHMUS disabled. Comparing implementation with E90s and F10s didn’t help very much as their NFRMs are a bit too different from Mini’s to figure out off, on, or blinking states.

So take a look at let me know if this sounds like I have the correct keywords and their values.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:18 PM
seamonkey420
4th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
any updates on this project? i'm working on the same thing w/my 2013 Coupe since we have the hardware in our lights or should

Old 08-05-2013, 10:03 PM
PNWMini
2nd Gear
No updates. I got sidetracked for most of July.

I haven't forgotten, though, and am making arrangements with friends to videotape as no one offered any advice from prior experiences and I don't want my side brake lights to blink and risk confusion with turn signals.

I will try to post on update on the weekend. I also want to see what BFD2_BFD does in this context (BFD2 as BFD1?).

Old 08-10-2013, 11:53 AM
PNWMini
2nd Gear
I got my videographer and tried the coding this morning. At 30, 40, and 51mph (48, 64, 82km/h) there was no joy. Nada, zilch, nil. As Leela would say, "It really toads the wet sprocket."

Except…at 51...when the ABS kicked in...the rear turn signals lit up solidly. And, since I swapped out by taillights with black lines for a yellow turn signal…dang it! This sounds BFD1 but I didn’t think there was an ABS requirement. I don’t have good video at lower speeds and my videographer isn’t certain (claims he needed more coffee to be sure) if they lit.

I didn’t do any modifications to BFD1 settings. I started with just BFD2 ones. I’m going to have to go back and double check my backups from when I purchased and when the dealer last did a reprogram and reset everything. And if anyone has a European R56 unmodified FRM2_R56.C08 trace file, it would be great to compare.

But it does seem, from a sample size of 1, that 2011 US cars with red rear turn signals do have BFD1 enabled or some type of additional alert involving the red rear turn signal. I know this happens at 51. Your BFD1 may vary.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:10 PM
PNWMini
2nd Gear
When I was making copies to figure things out, it looks like I mixed the Euro trace and the US trace. I went back to the beginning and rechecked my work, from my purchase backup files and my backups after a dealer reprogramming.

By default, my 2011 US car came with BFD1 enabled (BFD_1_ALGORITHMUS aktiv) and programmed to light the rear turn signal (steady, no flashing). From my 1st experiment, it looks as if BFD1 is enabled from the factory and overrides BFD2. (Or BFD2 kicks in at speeds higher than 51mph / 82km/h.)

If you have blacklines, you should be able to turn off the yellow turn signal by changing BFD_1_MIT_FRA_H to wert_00. In theory, changing BFD_1_MIT_NSL from wert_00 to wert_01 should cause the rear fogs to replace the turn signals but I have not verified this.

I don't have any pic or videos to post. I need to find a better road where I can get to over 62mph / 100km/h to check things.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:20 PM
PNWMini
2nd Gear
Attached is a picture of stock operation. I installed blacklines so my turn signals turn on steadily when going >62 and braking hard enough to kick on the ABS. Makes me wonder if Mini knew this and that's why they didn't sell the lights. (But then why did they start?) At least owners of 2011 cars can see what the stock BFD looks like.

Changing BFD_1_MIT_NSL from wert_00 to wert_01 and BFD_1_MIT_FRA_H from wert_01 to wert_01 did not change the behavior from turn signal to rear fog. I tried some more things but was not able to get BFD1 and BFD2 to work at the same time.

Once I turned off BFD1, I was able to get the CHMSL to blink. However, I ended up turning off the side brake lights while it was blinking.

The way it works with the changes below was the brake lights light normally, then the center begins to blink and the side ones turn off, then after about 3 seconds (or when the car stops?), the center stops blinking and side ones turn on. I like the blinking and how it turns itself off after I come to a stop but I want my side lights on steadily.

Any suggestions? I thought dauer_an would light up the rear fog lights durning a BFD2 event but it didn't.

Code:
BFD2_AKTIV
  nicht_aktiv to aktiv
BFD2_ESS_ENABLE
  nicht_aktiv to aktiv
BFD2_ESS_ANZEIGE
  nicht_aktiv to aktiv
BFD2_BL_M
  nicht_aktiv to blinkend
BFD2_NSL
  nicht_aktiv to dauer_an
BFD2_BLINKEN
  3_hz (no change)
BFD2_BFD
 nicht_aktiv (no change)
BFD2_T_ABS
 wert_02 (no change)
BFD2_SL_1
 nicht_aktiv (no change)
BFD2_BL
 nicht_aktiv (no change)
BFD2_SL_2
 nicht_aktiv (no change)

Attached Thumbnails Enable BFD1 and BFD2-blackline_default_cfg.jpg  
Old 09-15-2013, 11:40 AM
PNWMini
2nd Gear
Got things working. To enable BFD2, I had to disable BFD1. Both won't work together and BFD1 has priority. The settings are:
  1. BFD_1_ALGORITHMUS -> change to nicht_aktiv
  2. BFD2_AKTIV -> change to aktiv
  3. BFD2_ESS_ENABLE -> change to aktiv
  4. BFD2_ESS_ANZEIGE -> change to aktiv
  5. BFD2_BL_M -> change to blinkend
  6. BFD2_BL -> change to dauer_an
  7. BFD2_SL_1 -> change to dauer_an
  8. BFD2_BLINKEN -> 3_hz
I made 3 videos .

The first one (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0ux...2I2UURsZjh6RVE) shows the CHMSL blinking at 3Hz. If you look closely, you will see the left and right stop lights turn off while BFD2 is happening and turn on when it is over. Oops. But the blinking does not continue when you come to a stop and that's good.

The second one (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0ux...1J2TXJwWXdnVVE) is when I was trying to figure out which lights correspond to BL and SL_1 and getting the rear fogs to blink. I never got the rear fogs to work but did learn that BL is the top brake light and SL_1 is the bottom brake light. I also bumped the blink frequency up to 5Hz.

The third one (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0ux...W0tLUk0NXMxc2s) is the final result. Blinking CHMSL and solid left/right brake lights at 5Hz.

Last edited by PNWMini; 09-15-2013 at 01:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
anew742 (01-10-2019)
Old 09-15-2013, 11:27 PM
Kevdog
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow!!!

How many trial and error coding attempts do you think it took you to figure this out?

You certainly deserve your results considering how many BFD lines there actually are! I'm sure Jimmyselix will be very happy when he sees this. Nice work!

Old 09-16-2013, 05:54 PM
PNWMini
2nd Gear
It started off as a fun project but it did start to be a slog at the end. I didn't achieve all my goals. I thought BFD1 (as rear fogs) and 2 (CHMSL only) as a progression would be possible. It wasn't until I gave up on 1/rear fogs that I started to make progress. All together, it was about 9 tries.

Since I bought Blacklines and found out that BFD1 has the yellow rear turn signal on solidly, I really wanted a fix. Now my car doesn't look like I have a short circuit. And the blinking CHMSL looks good, with no blinking on ordinary braking activity. I like how it cancels at a stop too.

I hope this is a mod others like. If you put in Blacklines you will want to do it as the stock programming doesn't account for the change. I may look at this again later to see about some of the other interesting keywords (like BFD2_BFD or BFD_GESPERRT_BEI_NSL). Right now, after so many weeks, I need a break to change my sanity from nicht_aktiv to aktiv.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:34 PM
g35mt
2nd Gear
I like this feature. I am not familiar with this BFD, hopefully you don't scold me for asking stupid question.

1) base on the video, this feature activate only when come to a hard brake?
or does it blink 3 times every time you press the brake.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:24 PM
PNWMini
2nd Gear
BFD = Brake Force Display. In the US, an additional bulb lights up. In the EU/RoW, blinking brake lights.

In my experiments, it activates when you are going faster than 62mph (100km/h) and brake heavily. It doesn't work at slow speeds (tried 30 and 45) or lighter braking at faster speeds. It is a continuous alert at 3 or 5Hz until you come to a stop or release the brake pedal.

In your car, stock, it lights up the rear turn signal. I posted a picture of this, though my light is yellow because of the Blacklines.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:13 PM
g35mt
2nd Gear
thanks for the information. i did it last night and can't really know for sure if it is working unless i break hard above 62 mph and have a friend or someone looking for it.

again thanks for sharing the information. neat feature.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:52 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by PNWMini
BFD = Brake Force Display. In the US, an additional bulb lights up. In the EU/RoW, blinking brake lights.

In my experiments, it activates when you are going faster than 62mph (100km/h) and brake heavily. It doesn't work at slow speeds (tried 30 and 45) or lighter braking at faster speeds. It is a continuous alert at 3 or 5Hz until you come to a stop or release the brake pedal.

In your car, stock, it lights up the rear turn signal. I posted a picture of this, though my light is yellow because of the Blacklines.
Are you saying BFD is active stock?
I just ordered blacklines, that will be funny having yellow come on during panic braking!!

Old 08-17-2014, 07:19 AM
PNWMini
2nd Gear
I pulled my original FRM trace from purchase, before I did anything. In my 2011 BFD1 was active from the factory.

I don't know about earlier years. I would guess that if you had red turn signals from the factory and your year is newer than 2007, get ready for the yellow!

Old 08-17-2014, 08:01 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
I pulled my original FRM trace from purchase, before I did anything. In my 2011 BFD1 was active from the factory.

I don't know about earlier years. I would guess that if you had red turn signals from the factory and your year is newer than 2007, get ready for the yellow!
I have a 2013!!
Time to stick my GoPro to the boot, and make 65mph panic stops to see!!

Old 08-17-2014, 08:03 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Is post #7 your final settings? Except of the 5hZ?

Old 08-17-2014, 08:35 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
From my research earlier:
BFD 1 is hard braking
BFD 2 is extreme braking.

What are your settings for
BFD1_NSL
BFD2_NSL? That would be your rear fogs, and can be set for blinked.

Are your rear fog lights activated? As in have you coded the $5AA retrofit?

Old 08-17-2014, 02:20 PM
PNWMini
2nd Gear
I could not get BFD1 and 2 to work together. And no amount of coding would get my rear fog lights to come on with either BFD1 or BFD2. It might be buried in a PWM somewhere but I could not find it. I was wondering if it might be a country code item but decided not to go down that path.

I think BMW/Mini and others have moved from the adaptive brake lights (adding more bulbs/greater area) to blinking hazard and brake lights except in the US market where blinking brake lights are not legal. Most cars outside of NA use some form of ESS (Emergency Stop Signal) and you can get info at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automot...gnal_.28ESS.29 or searching for ESS. I did find a reference to MB asking for a NHTSA variance to test a blinking CHMSL to see if it help reduce accidents.

My values above are final and work. You need to be going >51mph (80km/h) and then brake aggressively to activate it. I was trying to get this down to 50km/h but again didn't find a solution. I didn't try everything again at the end from low speeds to confirm the threshold. And yes, I retrofitted rear fogs and did a VO flash to enable them. All good there. I even use them as welcome lights now.

Best I got was not to look like I had a short circuit with the turn signals and at least some functioning ESS. If you find a better solution please share.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:24 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
I believe the law states "continuously" flashing brake lights.
Continuously meaning longer than 5 seconds,
I wouldn't think that you would be in ABS more than 5 seconds during a panic stop!!

Old 08-17-2014, 03:49 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Update

My 2013 Does NOT have BFD1 activated, only BFD2 (extreme braking).
It activates the turn signals as brake lights at ANY speed via ABS actuation.
The light stays on until the brake pedal is released.
GoPro video :
How Photobucket can ruin a beautiful video!!

http://vid1089.photobucket.com/album...ps9eb8a54e.mp4

Last edited by TVPostSound; 08-17-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:25 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Just installed my Blackline lamps, they are awesome.
The turn signal bulb is a 7507 Amber (the pins are at 270 degrees instead of 180).
Word of caution, they aren't easily found at big box parts stores, so stock up on a few at Amazon.

Lastly to the point, my BFD now lights up my "YELLOW" turn signals as brake lamps during ABS activation!!!

For anyone who cares, PNWMini are working this out in Private until a resolution is found.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:25 PM
PNWMini
2nd Gear
Well, I do have *a* solution to the yellow turn signal: turn BFD1 off and BFD2 on. It works.

It does seem to change the speeds and thresholds for activation but you won't have your new yellow turn signal illuminate.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:05 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Well, I do have *a* solution to the yellow turn signal: turn BFD1 off and BFD2 on. It works.

It does seem to change the speeds and thresholds for activation but you won't have your new yellow turn signal illuminate.
I kind of like it!!

Id like to see what EU R56s do.

I haven't seen any EU BFD on any videos.

The center is an LED to a fiber optic, and the red center lens is isolated from the turn signal.
So the electrical is the same as US.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:15 PM
Eduardo Benavides
Neutral
BFD enable

Hi, does anyone know how to enable BFD on a R56 2010 (pre LCI)? it has a FRM3, and has option of BFD1 and BFD2, I had tried with all the options and combinations in there but without success.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:38 PM
akiram0624
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My report.

Hi there!
I live in Japan, and I have 2009 mini R56 JCW(MFJCW).
I tried BFD settings.
here is my report. I'm Japanese, so some English is strange.

Attached file is my car's FSW_PSW.MAN files. just for sample. If you want look the setting on NFS_Dummy, please Look it!

Here is normal brake light position and parameter.
================================================== =
RL_BL TAIL LIGHTS (top light.)

RL_BL_1 OUTER TAIL LIGHTS (bottom brake light only)

RL_BL_2 INNNER TAIL LIGHTS negative(nothing)

SL_BL_1 is (top brake light only.on BFD2)
If you want REAR FOG LIGHTS as BFD, add parameter by by NCS Dummy.

REAR FOG LIGHTS can use for BFD any car, any FRM2 or 3.

Here is add parameter sample.

PWM_NSL_ODER_BFD_FKT_BL
Parameter:wert 02 - value 02
Data:BB,0B (value=13.2V)

Parameter is same as PWM_NSL. So, you must check PWM_NSL (PULSE-WIDTH MODULATION (PWM)CONTROL OF REAR FOG LIGHTS)
and check the original Data and value (like BB,0B = 13.2V). If you add wrong parameter, may be rear fog lights going broke.
================================================== =============

If you want change the normal brake condition light,
check the
BREMSL_FKT_MIT_RL_BL,
BREMSL_FKT_MIT_RL_BL_1
BREMSL_FKT_MIT_RL_BL_2

BFD1 code

BFD1 is Heavy braking but no ABS +5m/s braking.

If you want blinked-flashing on BFD1, just add parameter by NCS Dummy.
FRM2 and FRM3 too.
each light module parameter is same.

here is blinked parameter sample by NCS Dummy.

Parameter:blinked - flashing
Data:02

Here is my favorite setting on BFD1. Remember, my mini is 2009mini and FRM2.
video:

BFD1 parameter
"wert_00 - value00" is nothing.
"wert_01 - value01" is just lighting.
"blinked - flashing" is blinking, flashing. (add parameter by NCS Dummy)
=======================================

BFD_1_ALGORITHMUS BRAKE FORCE DISLPLAY ALGORITHM
aktiv

BFD_1_MIT_RL_BL_1 BRAKE FORCE DISPLAY 1 WITH OUTER TAIL (bottom brake)
wert_01 - value 01

BFD_1_MIT_RL_BL_2
wert_00 - value 00

BFD_1_MIT_BL_M BRAKE FORCE DISPLAY STAGE 1 WITH THIRD BRAKE LIGHT
wert_01 - value 01
or
blinked_-_flashing

BFD_1_MIT_NSL BRAKE FORCE DISPLAY STAGE 1 WITH REAR FOG LIGHTS
wert_01 - value 01

BFD_1_MIT_RL_BL BRAKE FORCE DISPLAY STAGE 1 WITH TAIL LIGHTS
wert_01 - value 01
================================================== ===========================
BFD2
==============================

BFD2 is EXTREME HARD BRAKING with ABS.
BFD2 is don't work together with BFD1.

Here is my favorite setting on BFD2.
video:
(video's setting: WBLG_WBL_ENABLE was not enabled.and BFD_NSL is dauer.)

==========================================

BFD_1_ALGORITHMUS
nicht_aktiv

BFD2_AKTIV
aktiv

BFD2_ESS_ENABLE
aktiv

BFD2_ESS_ANZEIGE
aktiv

BFD2_SL_BL_1
dauer_an

BFD2_SL_BL_2
nicht_aktiv - not enabled

BFD2_BFD
nicht_aktiv - not enabled

BFD2_BL_M
blinkend

BFD2_NSL
blinkend

BFD2_BL
blinkend

WBLG_WBL_ENABLE (After Hard Braking, HAZARD lights will be enabled)
aktiv
I can't figure out about these code.
WBLG_A_ANF wert01→wert02?(E89 cars setting.)

BFD2_A_LOE wert01→wert02?(E89 cars setting.)

Please try this setting. and any update is welcome.

Attached Files
File Type: txt
FSW_PSW.MAN.txt (18.4 KB, 429 views)

Last edited by akiram0624; 02-12-2017 at 06:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by akiram0624:
anew742 (01-10-2019), Leadman (06-25-2017)