Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Ignition Tap in Engine Bay Fuse Block?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 05:25 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,714 Likes on 1,381 Posts
Ignition Tap in Engine Bay Fuse Block?

Can someone help me out? I have a 2012 R55 Clubman.

I want to add DRLs and use an add-a-circuit fuse tap into the engine bay fuse box. Is there a fuse in the engine bay that will give me ignition-on power?

Thanks.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:15 PM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I've been watching your thread to see if anyone had found a switched power source in the engine bay but apparently no one has. When I added driving lights and fogs I just used the main incoming power in the fuse box (large red wire in the back) and then used relays tied into the headlights. If you must have power only when the ignition is on you could always just use a relay and and connect it to a switched power source inside the car such as the cigarette lighter.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:10 PM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,714 Likes on 1,381 Posts
I really don't want to have to run a wire through the firewall, that's why I'm asking about switched power in the engine bay. I'll do some poking around, and report what I find out...

Old 02-13-2017, 08:43 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by njaremka
I really don't want to have to run a wire through the firewall, that's why I'm asking about switched power in the engine bay. I'll do some poking around, and report what I find out...
Running a wire through the firewall isn't difficult - there is a grommet near the master cylinder. Take a look at the directions for the optional DRL/fog lights. The most difficult part is getting the wiper arm off if you don't have a tool that fits under the hood.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:39 PM
James3370
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2012 r56 2dr hatch, but I just had the DRL option coded on for mine. I'm planning on adding some addl lights, but just gonna tap onto the factory bulbs to power them up.

** EDIT **

I ended up getting these that I really like for only $8 -
Amazon Amazon

I had previously swapped the "parking/DRL" bulbs with these LEDs -
Amazon Amazon

Attached are pics of "DRL" mode & "Lights on" mode....really happy with the way they turned out

btw....the added LED strip lights in person are white like the DRL bulbs....for some reason they appear to be purple-ish in the pics but they aren't

Attached Thumbnails Ignition Tap in Engine Bay Fuse Block?-1.jpg   Ignition Tap in Engine Bay Fuse Block?-2.jpg  

Last edited by James3370; 03-06-2017 at 08:40 PM. Reason: adding pic