Go Back  North American Motoring > 1st Generation MINIs > Modifications > Electrical
R53 NCS Expert Guide Additional Info >

Electrical R53 NCS Expert Guide Additional Info

Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical R53 NCS Expert Guide Additional Info

Old 03-25-2018, 05:36 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 603 Likes on 541 Posts
Somebody should chime in, but have to ask whether you have taken the MINI up on Haleakalā?

Old 03-25-2018, 10:51 AM
MauiWrench
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
but of course , it's a wonderful road ,just don't make a mistake and put a wheel off cause that fist step is a long one .....lol

Old 05-06-2018, 01:29 PM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Are there any proficient coders here? I'm trying to understand the process (order of events) for coding multiple modules. For example, I want make several changes in the BC1 Module (locks, windows, DRL). I also want to make KOMBI changes (On-Board Computer active).

Do I need to approach this as two separate operations? I know that I need to read the BC1 TRC file --> Load to NCS Dummy --> Make Changes --> Export from NCS Dummy as .MAN file --> Write .MAN fileto Module with NCS Expert. Is there a way to code both the KMB and BC1 together? Apologies if this is hard to follow.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:36 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 273 Likes on 265 Posts
I am just a hack. I will recommend you do the module one at a time, and may be one change at a time. I am quite sure you cannot change more than one module.

Always be very careful and save a copy of the old. I create a new folder for each change and comment in detail what I change.

I only use NCS Dummy to help interpret the meaning of the entries as in addition to being in Deutsch most entries are not apparent what they are for.

Also do connect a battery charger to the battery or else there is stability issues especially in low ambient.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:43 PM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
You're saving copies of the TRC file or the MAN? Once the .TRC file is edited, NCS dummy exports as .MAN.

Good tip about the battery charger.

I found this pretty helpful: http://codinge90.com/ncs-expert-basic-understanding/

Old 05-06-2018, 04:39 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 273 Likes on 265 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigChill View Post
You're saving copies of the TRC file or the MAN? Once the .TRC file is edited, NCS dummy exports as .MAN.

Good tip about the battery charger.

I found this pretty helpful: http://codinge90.com/ncs-expert-basic-understanding/

I backup the trace files and give each chance a folder. I documented what I changed in a readme.txt file. The readme file has a dated running list of changes I made.

Old 10-06-2018, 04:16 AM
destynx
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for raking up an old thread, but I'm kinda out on a limp here.
I've got a pre-facelift R53 with speedo in the center. Just bought some dual clocks for 15 bucks to try and make it work.
Needles work fine and the screens as well, but I just can get the lights to match up. When just pluging the new clocks in none of the lights work (ABS, ACS, cruise etc.) I've programmed the KMB to tacho_dzm_doppel_display so at least some lights work now. But for some reason some lights still don't match up as you can see in this video:
My car is a left hand drive car with km/h speedo. The dual cluster I bought is from a right hand drive facelift car (I think because of the option in the speedo to switch to the clock) with MPH speedo. I'm thinking the fact that it's a facelift cluster on a pre-facelift car or that it's a MPH speedo on a KM/h car is causing the problems but I'm not sure.
Please let me know if someone has found out something about this.

Old 10-06-2018, 05:13 AM
MauiWrench
1st Gear
mph or kph should not matter . I have a pre face USA car that I brought to Canada , I change the displays from mph to kph without any issues . I did have some issues with the lights also during programming . I think I had to go into the bc5 and the kmb to get the proper operation of everything

Old 10-06-2018, 05:31 AM
destynx
Neutral
Originally Posted by MauiWrench View Post
mph or kph should not matter . I have a pre face USA car that I brought to Canada , I change the displays from mph to kph without any issues . I did have some issues with the lights also during programming . I think I had to go into the bc5 and the kmb to get the proper operation of everything
Do you have dual guages above the steering wheel or just a single one? If you have dual guages could you send me the bc1 and kmb files maybe? I might be able to figure it out then.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:15 AM
MauiWrench
1st Gear
no only the center gauge , but I have added a few things along the way so have experimented with a bit of the coding . was looking forward to doing the 2 on the steering colum with a crono pack in center .

Old 10-06-2018, 04:21 PM
destynx
Neutral
Yeah I figured that the car needs to think there is a nav or chrono pack in the car. I’m pretty sure I can’t program that module it’s the BCU I think and NCSExpert doesn’t let you program that module.