Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical R53 NCS Expert Guide Additional Info

Old 04-15-2013, 11:30 AM
joylove
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Note to r52 owners. Do not try to code your CVM. I did and have possibly damaged my central coding key. Currently attempting to get help and to remember if it's just my KMB that throws a fault at the ZCS/FA from ECU stage. It's been a while.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:04 PM
herbie_53_guy
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the heads up! where abouts are you?

Old 04-15-2013, 01:03 PM
joylove
5th Gear
I'm on the other side of the pond!

Old 04-16-2013, 05:18 AM
scf
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Ok, kind of a unique question:
Does anybody who can use NCS Expert, have a Chrono pack in their R53?

I'm looking for the KMB module for an R53 that has the chrono pack.

Thanks!

Old 04-17-2013, 11:46 AM
herbie_53_guy
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scf
Ok, kind of a unique question:
Does anybody who can use NCS Expert, have a Chrono pack in their R53?

I'm looking for the KMB module for an R53 that has the chrono pack.

Thanks!
I've got one right here, what do you need?

Old 04-18-2013, 05:23 AM
scf
5th Gear
Do you have a file of the settings in that KMB module? If so, can you send it to me?

Old 04-19-2013, 10:55 AM
sjc
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KMalinich
No, I got the one that doesn't support the R56 and up.. Worked fine, and it was only $35 shipped.

Specifically, this one: link

Took FOREVER to get here though.. Must have swam it over from Romania..
Anyone have a recommendation for a more timely source? I'd like to get to car hacking next week ('06 R53 JCW). Anyplace that offers regular or express shipping from inside the USA?

sc
--

Old 04-19-2013, 11:01 AM
joylove
5th Gear
You do not need a cable with BMW in the title. It only affects the price, not the product. EBay for the following search term USB (Obd, obd2, obdii) (kkl, Vagcom, INPA, 409.1). Sort by lowest price with shipping. You should get one for about $10. You will need to open it up and short pin 7 to pin 8.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:35 AM
scf
5th Gear
I have an extra cable that I'll sell you. You'll have to solder a jumper from pin 7 to pin 8. $30 shipped and it's yours.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:49 PM
joylove
5th Gear
Originally Posted by astroBlackMetallic_Mini
does the NCSExpert have any functions for the sunroof?
i had an idea that has come to a slight halt because of power issues. I have various circuits that I have purchased that will 1. sense temperature and activate a relay or similar, and 2. sense rain and close a relay for a given amount of time.

i wanted to have the sunroof open when the interior of the car got "hot" (say, 100 degrees) and stay open. The 2nd sensor would watch for rain / moisture. once sensed, it would then Close the sunroof to keep the car from being soaked.

problem is, the sunroof seems to be controlled by one of the computer systems in the mini, and i am afraid to go applying power *****-nilly to get the sunroof motor to function as needed for this concept. so far, my only other work-around is to use the door lock mechanism to close the sunroof, and possibly a spare key fob to open it.
The systems you want to use are all in deep sleep 60s after the last iBus activity to prevent battery drain. You would need an aftermarket device to wake up and probe the sensors and activate the devices.

Enable comfort opening and open all the windows a you approach. Close the sunroof if it looks like rain.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:56 PM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by joylove
The systems you want to use are all in deep sleep 60s after the last iBus activity to prevent battery drain. You would need an aftermarket device to wake up and probe the sensors and activate the devices.

Enable comfort opening and open all the windows a you approach. Close the sunroof if it looks like rain.
What do you mean by probing the sensors? I have the sensors for heat and rain, I just don't have access to power forthe sunroof.

I'm in FL. So, opening up while I walk towards the car will help, but only a little. As for rain, well, it can rain here at a moments notice... And it's a little hard to close the car up while your inside your office, and usually too late to do while your sprinting towards the car as its pouring *** rain inside tHe car!

Old 04-21-2013, 08:59 AM
joylove
5th Gear
The functionality you suggest is possible, however not without a third party module. Maybe intravee can do it, it depends on if it has an RTC on board to perform the wake up timer function.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:20 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
What do you mean by wake up timer function? I actually do have another circuit that is timed, to control the opening time of the sunroof...

Again, I can figure out everything but how to Power up the sunroof....

Old 04-29-2013, 10:10 AM
TRIPLE_O
2nd Gear
Note to r52 owners. Do not try to code your CVM. I did and have possibly damaged my central coding key. Currently attempting to get help and to remember if it's just my KMB that throws a fault at the ZCS/FA from ECU stage. It's been a while.
Why were you coding the CVM module and are you still having issues?

Originally Posted by sjc
Anyone have a recommendation for a more timely source? I'd like to get to car hacking next week ('06 R53 JCW). Anyplace that offers regular or express shipping from inside the USA?

sc
--
If you still need a cable, I have a buddy looking to sell his. I'll have him PM you.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:18 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry if it's already been mentioned, but is there a place that can get cables shipped to the US in a relatively timely manner? I'm a bit leery of buying something from overseas, especially if there's a chance the cable won't work. I'd like to start hackin' away too...

Old 04-29-2013, 10:44 AM
joylove
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TRIPLE_O
Why were you coding the CVM module and are you still having issues?
Much like most coding I was going to fine-tune a few features out of preference, although not necessarily all n one coding session.

+Disable the 'Wait For Windows when lowering" that makes the total time for the roof to operate longer than it needs to be
+Disable the "Pause at sunroof position" when closing
+Investigate any one-touch support that might be lurking
+Investigate the speed lockout value
+Try to improve the limited number of DE->EN translations in NCS Dummy

I haven't looked at it since I last attempted to code since it threw a nasty sounding error with the KOMBI central coding key no longer being correct.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-error-message
http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread....3736#post53736

Old 04-29-2013, 06:10 PM
TRIPLE_O
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AKIndiMini
Sorry if it's already been mentioned, but is there a place that can get cables shipped to the US in a relatively timely manner? I'm a bit leery of buying something from overseas, especially if there's a chance the cable won't work. I'd like to start hackin' away too...
There are about 1,000 sellers overseas and here in the US. Because your vehicle is k-line, pretty much 95% of the cables you look at will work for your car.

Also, you know you can message sellers (even international sellers) and ask them if they offer expedited shipping. I don't remember the last time I waited 3 weeks for a package

From order to delivery I can have an item in 3-4 days.

Much like most coding I was going to fine-tune a few features out of preference, although not necessarily all n one coding session.

+Disable the 'Wait For Windows when lowering" that makes the total time for the roof to operate longer than it needs to be
+Disable the "Pause at sunroof position" when closing
+Investigate any one-touch support that might be lurking
+Investigate the speed lockout value
+Try to improve the limited number of DE->EN translations in NCS Dummy

I haven't looked at it since I last attempted to code since it threw a nasty sounding error with the KOMBI central coding key no longer being correct.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...-error-message
http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread....3736#post53736
Update your daten files and then reset the KOMBI and CVM modules. What Version of files are you running?

Old 04-29-2013, 06:31 PM
joylove
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TRIPLE_O
Update your daten files and then reset the KOMBI and CVM modules. What Version of files are you running?
I'm running V48.1 daten [48.0 for R50], not sure how much newer to go! Actually I don't know if I had this message after I updated. In my memory I updated and all was well but sometimes the stories overlap in my memory between my cars and my modules.

When you say RESET you mean to do a deep sleep, a power cycle or restore to factory coding or something else?

Old 05-02-2013, 06:51 AM
Beermaestro
1st Gear
Originally Posted by KMalinich
No, I got the one that doesn't support the R56 and up.. Worked fine, and it was only $35 shipped.

Specifically, this one: link

Took FOREVER to get here though.. Must have swam it over from Romania..
Acquired a laptop and cable, installed XP Pro from the ground up, installed the BMW software, but was unable to establish comm with my car. I suspect the cable, so I am sending it back (thank you, Amazon) and ordering the one you link to here. I have read elsewhere about jumpering pins 7 & 8. Did you have to do this or was the cable useable right out of the box?

Also, if you don't mind my asking, did you install the software from the dvd that comes with the cable? Or did you acquire it elsewhere? Many of the links I have come across for download don't work. It would be nice to know that the cable you link to works, and that its software, properly installed, will also work.

Just trying not to reinvent the wheel here...

Old 05-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Densmini
3rd Gear
Well, it may be too late, but did you insure you had the correct Com port? My cheap cable from a large Communist Asian country worked great out of the box; the software on the supplied dvd did not. I could be wrong, but what I gather from these posts is that linking pins 7&8 is required on an otherwise run-of-the-mill OBD2 cable. I got an EDIABAS-specific cable.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Beermaestro
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Densmini
Well, it may be too late, but did you insure you had the correct Com port? My cheap cable from a large Communist Asian country worked great out of the box; the software on the supplied dvd did not. I could be wrong, but what I gather from these posts is that linking pins 7&8 is required on an otherwise run-of-the-mill OBD2 cable. I got an EDIABAS-specific cable.

I do remember during the install taking note of the comm port and changing its latency from 16 to 1--something like that. But one reason I don't mind waiting for a while is to take a breather and then to reinstall carefully the software. Okay, that's 2 reasons.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:44 AM
Tyler&Claire
1st Gear
Okay, so after reading these posts for about an hour and a half now, I would like to have some clarification from someone (Pretty please?) On a few things...

1. The software will only work with windows XP and is provided from the Bimmer Forums?
2. A cable such as this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Cable-Auto-Diagnostic-Tool-Scanner-for-VW-Audi-Seat-VAG-KKL-409-1-OBDII-OBD2-/130869266949?pt=US_Adapters&hash=item1e786a8a05 Would work fine so long as I spliced pin 7 and 8 together?
3. Which are Pins 7 and 8?
4. My 2006 R53 JCW has an onboard computer that is actually deactivated so it only shows my current speed and the temperature?

Thanks guys, it's 5:39 AM and my eyes are killing me here...
Any help is much appreciated.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:20 AM
joylove
5th Gear
1) INPA will run on XP, Vista and W7. Dunno about W8; I don't have it.
INPA is the 'laboratory' software the engineers used for R&D, it's more powerful and informative, but less fancy looking.
DIS is the more pretty dealer software. It's also much harder to install. I think it needs XP and specific versions of the tools to work. the benefits are you can do retrofits with a more obvious interface.

2) Correct, thanks for taking the time to do your homework! Open up the blue thing, find pins 7 & 8 and short them together. That is the exact setup I use.

3)

4) Correct. You would use NCS expert that installed with the INPA suite to change that coding to enable those missing features.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Tyler&Claire
1st Gear
1) INPA will run on XP, Vista and W7. Dunno about W8; I don't have it.
INPA is the 'laboratory' software the engineers used for R&D, it's more powerful and informative, but less fancy looking.
DIS is the more pretty dealer software. It's also much harder to install. I think it needs XP and specific versions of the tools to work. the benefits are you can do retrofits with a more obvious interface.
Okay, so for INPA I could just use my current Windows 7 laptop rather than pulling out the dusty old XP? Are there any issues with installation that I should be warned about?
I'm probably going to order the cable today, download and install INPA tonight and start going over it so that way whenever the cable gets here, it's just plug and play.
ALSO (sorry for the repeats in information, just don't want to muck anything up) for jumping pins 7 and 8, I can just use any old wiring right?

This is my first electronics project on Claire besides installing an AUX cable through the rear fog light switch panel......of which I screwed up.....

Thanks again!

Old 05-28-2013, 10:09 AM
joylove
5th Gear
For the W7 install you should have no issues. You may need to right click and Run As Administrator on the Setup programme, a quick google will confirm. I installed it on mine OK.

For the pin 7&8 bridge, the pins are neighbors, you short them with a soldered link. The risk you face as a rookie is that the plastic gets so hot that it melts and the pins lose their alignment. You can mitigate either by using some needle nose pliers to carefully bend pin 8 to touch pin 7 before soldering, or by using a small amount of wire between pins 7 & 8 to solder to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical R53 NCS Expert Guide Additional Info