Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Radio Static

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 07:25 PM
rarrowsmith
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio Static

Hi Guys,
I've done some research to know avail, and i need a little help.
All of a sudden, my radio started getting static on every channel, they all come in, but just a buzz in the speakers. This happened about a month ago, and I thought maybe it was my speakers, I already had one blown, so I decided to redo my entire sound system. 1600 bucks later, and still a buzz. So, I bought a new 10$ antenna on ebay, screwed it on...still fuzz. Now, i've already popped the radio out like 6 times and really wrestled with that stupid silly looking antenna wire in the back of my HK system, and STILL STATIC! The only thing i would imagine....is the wire went bad and I should replace it? Any ideas?

I don't even know where the antenna wire hides in my panels, thought it was this, http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/f/u/111.png, but i'm a little skeptical.

Anyone have any good ideas?

Old 07-18-2012, 10:22 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Was the antenna amp also replaced?

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-18-2012, 01:10 PM
rarrowsmith
1st Gear
I did not replace it, in fact, didn't think it would need to be replaced...Where's it at? Is it a project or just a quick plug and play!??? Thanks in advance!

Old 07-18-2012, 01:33 PM
chris.j.lamb
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The MINI OEM antenna needs a power feed to work its internal amplifier.
Normally it gets this power from the OE Head Unit, it only provides it when on radio, not on CD.
Change to an aftermarket Head Unit & no power = crap radio reception.
SIMPLES

Old 07-18-2012, 01:35 PM
rarrowsmith
1st Gear
I still have the stock stereo. So not so simples. Any other suggestions?

Old 07-19-2012, 01:03 PM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All of the aftermarket head units I have worked with have a power antenna lead. You just need an adapter to convert the wire from MINI OEM to American standard. Go to http://www.newministuff.com/. The antenna reception with my CDA-9885 deck is great.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:41 PM
rarrowsmith
1st Gear
I was trying to prevent swapping out head units if I didn't have to. I still have stock, want to keep stock, but want to fix reception...I'm going to try ground the wire that leads into the head unit....we'll see what happens

Old 07-19-2012, 05:57 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Wonder if it is the amp he is hearing....he does have the HK....
they tend to make a buzz/static sound when they fail.....

Old 07-19-2012, 05:59 PM
rarrowsmith
1st Gear
Oddly enough, I WAS JUST THINKING THAT TODAY. I 'think' i've noticed that when I rev the static gets louder....maybe...and I attributed that to either my alternator, or since everyone's been talking about my antenna amp, maybe that. I'm highly considering swapping my head unit, although flip out screens don't fit nicely because of the interior shape, but the reason i'm procrastinating, is because i'm worried that even if I swap, i'll still need to swap out my antenna wire, if there's an issue. Idk..

Old 07-19-2012, 06:04 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Also what year mini...
the antantta configuration changed in 2005 with the "refresh" on the hardtop to use a diversity anteanna system....a second one on 2005+ gen1 cars is imbedded in the glass....this is why folks with newer gen1 switched to stubby antenna's with no change in fm (barely), but still lost most am....

Are you hearing the same static/buzz when tuned into a blank chanel or with a cd/aux feed?
if you do, the amp is toast.
If the reception is just suddely really bad, the anteanna amp could have failed, or maybe the anteanna lead was cut/chafed...

Old 07-19-2012, 06:10 PM
rarrowsmith
1st Gear
It's an 05 S, I've got a little dome in the rear inside interior. I can pop of the piece and it gives me access to my antenna.

I don't hear the sound with CD, I always heard a buzz with AUX and IPOD (Through CD Changer)

I'd say my best bet, barring an expensive investment, is to just replace the GD Antenna Amp. But i'm not sure where it is, or what I replace it with!

Thanks for everyone's replies! I really want the help on this thing.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:28 PM
alwzopn
3rd Gear
I was able to eliminate some radio noise by connecting the nut at the back of the radio to ground. I have some noise still but it's much better. I grounded to a screw around knee level below and to the right of the steering wheel.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:01 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Go to realoem.com
Put in the production date from the door jam in the car...
Then navigate to the radio or hk options....it will show you (based upon the phase in on actual productiin date, month by month) how it is wired in a rough schematic, and $$ for the suggested prices for parts...
With some 2005 cars, the full switch to tge full refresh took a few month....my late 2004 production, but 2005 year car got some older items, sone newer....airbags for example with weight sensor changed to meet us government standards on us cars on jan2005 cars....so a month on so.e items can make a difference.
I bet the hum is from either a ground loop, or picking up a hum from the cars electrical system....
in a different car i use, i cannot use the aux jack if the item i have playing music is plugged in and charging....tried filters on the power side, ferrite cores, etc, to no avsil.
The fact the cd plays fine is a good sighn....
The hk amp is $$, and if you rip it out for a new system, can be sold for a decent $$.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:30 PM
JumpingJackFlash
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can also opt to enter the last seven digits of your VIN at http://www.realoem.com/. As for upgrading the head unit, going from H/K to non-H/K is a PITA. Anyone who's had experience on that... please chime in.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:51 PM
MCS 5
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
As a guy that does OEM stereo repairs here's a simple test...static on FM, bad radio...static on AM, antenna issue. If you pull in the AM stations, you need to get the radio fixed.

Something easy you can do, pull out the radio, then take a small screw driver and touch THE CENTER PIN of the antenna hole for the antenna. Did reception improve?

Old 01-16-2018, 04:36 PM
rtempleton
Neutral
1) My 04 Mini Cooper had awful reception and there was a toggle switch on the bottom of the radio & I pushed it forward and it cured the static/reception problem.
2) Also you could try installing an inline filter on the Radio. I had the same problem on another car and it totally eliminated all the static. You would have to purchase it at a stereo shop. It was cheap/ $12.