Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical One headlight out (not bulb)- help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 01:56 PM
timmybung
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One headlight out (not bulb)- help needed!

I have a 2002 Cooper S (loaded with Dinan goodies!) that I got last week. My only problem so far is the the driver's side headlight went out, and it's not the bulb. Bulb looks fine (also tried replacing it), didn't help. I didn't see any fuses out, though I don't remember seeing one specific for the headlights. And even if it's on a relay, wouldn't BOTH lights be out if the relay was bad? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Searched the forums and didn't see any likely posts that apply to this issue.
Thanks!
-Tim

Old 03-02-2012, 02:10 PM
jonrizzle
2nd Gear
been there before

Do you have HIDs? My old 03' cooper S I had the same problem happen. I tried the bulb and relay. No luck, it turned out it was the controller for the HID on the driver side. The controller itself was around $450-500 where as replacing the whole headlight unit was $600. So I went ahead and did that. Just a suggestion at what to look at.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
Halogens or X's?

driver's side low is out, or low and high?

There actually are two fuses for the lights, but they are in the engine compartment fuse box - FL8 and FL12 - altho from the diagrms I have it is not clear how the lights split to the two fuses.

There isn't a standard relay for the headlights, the central control unit (aka general control unit, aka the computer) serves that function . . . .

if this is just the low halogen that's out, are you sure you changed the correct bulb? first time I had to do this on my 02 I changed the wrong bulb . . . .

Old 03-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by timmybung
...My only problem so far is the the driver's side headlight went out, and it's not the bulb.....
Not unusual for the early Xenons. You can try changing the bulb and controller box from side to side to see if it is either of those but it probably will be the igniter which is internal and not easy to replace. The fix is usually a new complete assembly. Expensive from the dealer but the Hella #010071031 (drivers side) is a perfect replacement available from a variety of sources.

Good luck.

Rich

Old 03-02-2012, 06:30 PM
timmybung
Neutral
It's an '02 with just the standard headlights, not HID. Standard H7 bulb. Checked the FL8 & FL12 fuses, both intact. High beams work on both sides.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:06 PM
firemerc13
2nd Gear
Location: Just south of the White mountains, just north of the lakes region, in other words, Rumney, NH
Check the wires near the bulb. I had a wire come loose on the drivers side of mine. Thought it was the bulb, turns out a wire had disconnected.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:42 PM
timmybung
Neutral
Fixed it. I'm not sure I want to say what the problem actually was though. :P
Turns out the bulb I replaced (that "didn't fix it") was the high beam bulb. Replaced the low beam bulb = problem fixed. Yep- I was replacing the wrong bulb. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
thanks for closing the loop

I made the boo boo when I decided to try SilverStar bulbs for more light. I put them in and saw no difference. Eventually I discovered I'd put the SS's on the high side . . . once I got them in the right place I DID see a difference!

Old 03-03-2012, 01:50 PM
pew1375
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I did the same thing recently.
Funny how when you open the bonnet, it throws your perspective off.
You discovered something I love about my MINI...
Sometimes when I'm working on her, she drives me CRAZY!!
In the end though, she always makes me smile!!

Old 03-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
over the head

up side down

there's only one place that's appropriate and that's not under the bonnet of the car!

wink wink

Old 05-03-2012, 09:56 AM
tonmilv
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 Mini cooper, my main headlights (high/low) wont turn on, running light do turn on. I check the fuse and its fine. any other fuses for main headlight? please help

Old 05-03-2012, 10:13 AM
pew1375
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tonmilv
06 Mini cooper, my main headlights (high/low) wont turn on, running light do turn on. I check the fuse and its fine. any other fuses for main headlight? please help
Just to help get the obvious out of the way, are the bulbs themselves in good shape? I've changed the wrong bulbs before. I would suggest,if you haven't already, inspect each of the 4 bulbs, high and low beam. Secondly, is the key in the ignition, and turned to the second position? My MINI has no headlights or fog lights, only parking, unless the car is ON.

I know it's obvious stuff, and I hope it's something simple, just trying to help you get thru these questions so somebody with more knowledge can get past this and get you to a solution!
Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:46 AM
tonmilv
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pew1375
Just to help get the obvious out of the way, are the bulbs themselves in good shape? I've changed the wrong bulbs before. I would suggest,if you haven't already, inspect each of the 4 bulbs, high and low beam. Secondly, is the key in the ignition, and turned to the second position? My MINI has no headlights or fog lights, only parking, unless the car is ON.

I know it's obvious stuff, and I hope it's something simple, just trying to help you get thru these questions so somebody with more knowledge can get past this and get you to a solution!
Good luck and keep us posted!

thank you I just went back to my car and this is what i checked:

with car running, I turned headlights and nothing, dash lights turn on, running lights goes off and main headlights dont turn on. I also checked cables connections, I replaced 2 bulbs (main headlights) so I have two brand new bulbs. I dont know how many fuses for headlights are

Old 01-21-2013, 11:04 AM
MsTwizz
Neutral
I am having the same problem. I have a 2006 Mini Cooper. I replaced the bulb, but after reading these posts, I will go back and make sure I changed the correct bulb. Both of my high beams work. It's just the passenger side low beam that is not working. Brand new bulb wouldn't work and i changed both driver's side and passenger side bulbs with new. But, as I say, I will have to go back and make sure I replaced the correct bulb!!!!