Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Pinch Sensor Re-Calibration Programming

Old 10-23-2011, 12:00 PM
volksfragen
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pinch Sensor Re-Calibration Programming

Hey guys,

So I am having the dreaded Pinch Sensor problem with my Passengers side window. When opening the door, the window will not dip, and when rolling it up, it will hit the top and tool back down a 1/4 of the way.

I have tried the "Manual Recalibration" by holding the switch down, then up, ect, ect, and it has not worked.

Great thing is I have the full BMW software Tools. INPA, NCSExpert, Tool32, WinKFP, DIS, Progman ect. I was big into programming E46 M3's which I owned prior to my Mini. The Mini platform being newer, and a different vehicle has got me stumped though.

Does any one happen to know what Program/Module I will be looking into to re-calibrate the Window Pinch Sensor?

My guess is using INPA (Can do everything DIS can, but isn't slow as crap) and accessing the FRM to find an option to activate Pinch Sensor Calibration.

I have yet to even try accessing the FRM module with my setup, but I am mostly posting this as an inquiry before I try.

I'll keep y'all updated.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:44 AM
volksfragen
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, I found out how to accomplish this feature using INPA.

At first I had issues accessing the FRM, But I updated to the v41 Daten files + Latest EDIABAS version and everything worked.

To verify this is on a R56 2009 Mini Cooper S.

Preparation: Verify you have a fully functioning installation of INPA and EDIABAS. You will need the proper cable. I use the cable from the following link: http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=16

Step 1: Start INPA, Verify you have communication with the vehicle (Battery and Ignition circles must be black. Then select the R56 platform. In my case, Shift + F3

Step 2: Navigate to "Body" then in the next submenu, Select "Footwell Module Driver FRM"

Step 3: Select "Activate"

Step 4: Select "init. Window regulator"

Step 5: First, roll both windows up as far as you can. Second, you must, what Mini decides to call, "Destandardise" the windows. I believe this function "zero's" the values originally stored. Do this by selecting "<F5> destand. front" (If you destandardise all, you will get a script error, at least with the hatchback)

No confirmation will appear that it is completing or has completed this task. I did notice though the 2 dots on the top left will both be white while it is destandardising the windows, and will continue to flash when completed.

Step 6: Once the windows have been destandardised, now its time to initialize (teach) the windows, ultimately re-configuring the pinch protection. To do this, select "<F2> init. front" A command prompt will appear stating "Front Window being taught !!!N ONE Jam protection system !!!". Select "OK".

The windows will now begin to re-initialize, aka. be taught the new values.

The windows will roll all the way down, and then back up by themself.
I had to do this 2-3 times to get the window fixed.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions!

The following users liked this post:
HornBlowR (09-14-2023)
Old 10-26-2011, 02:06 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
AWESOME information! I think need to upgrade my EDIABAS version because I couldn't communicate with the FRM module (however I was able to communicate with a few other modules).

Old 10-26-2011, 02:08 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
I don't remember seeing that option in DIS. As I have explored it pretty thoroughly. But next time I have it connected, I will check.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:51 PM
bearheroes
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by strobeyprobey
AWESOME information! I think need to upgrade my EDIABAS version because I couldn't communicate with the FRM module (however I was able to communicate with a few other modules).
if you want to communicate with FRM you need v.41 dates.And these work only with ediabas 7.0.0 or newer.BUT this version don't work with DIS.
IF you want to have them both,you must move your old version to another directory,and run this IFHSrv32.exe and then DiagHeadEmulator.
Otherwise it won't work.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:40 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
*Very* interesting info about DIS! For the FRM, I have no problem using NCS Expert. In fact, I think I had to downgrade my datens to V38 to work with the FRM. Luckily I have another spare laptop, I will just create a separate system for NCS/INPA and leave my current one for DIS. Thanks!

Old 10-31-2011, 09:00 AM
bearheroes
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by strobeyprobey
*Very* interesting info about DIS! For the FRM, I have no problem using NCS Expert. In fact, I think I had to downgrade my datens to V38 to work with the FRM. Luckily I have another spare laptop, I will just create a separate system for NCS/INPA and leave my current one for DIS. Thanks!
yes it is better to have a another laptop because sometimes there are some conflicts.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:36 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
So I was wrong earlier. My older version of EDIABAS was able to read the FRM module in INPA. Looking back at my dealer service records, the dealer did the de-intialize and reitialize on my windows back when I first had the problem (This was before the software update for the FRM was explained in the bulletin). It returned a few months later. If you continue to have the window issue you will want to get your car updated.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:39 PM
jonprivate
1st Gear
If I buy this cable to reprogram my windows, where do I get the software? I can't seem to find that answer. Any help would be helpful, my car is out of warranty and so they would charge me to reprogram my windows to work correctly.

Jon

Originally Posted by volksfragen

At first I had issues accessing the FRM, But I updated to the v41 Daten files + Latest EDIABAS version and everything worked.

To verify this is on a R56 2009 Mini Cooper S.

Preparation: Verify you have a fully functioning installation of INPA and EDIABAS. You will need the proper cable. I use the cable from the following link: http://www.one-stop-electronics.com/...&product_id=16

Step 1: Start INPA, Verify you have communication with the vehicle (Battery and Ignition circles must be black. Then select the R56 platform. In my case, Shift + F3

Step 2: Navigate to "Body" then in the next submenu, Select "Footwell Module Driver FRM"

Step 3: Select "Activate"

Step 4: Select "init. Window regulator"

Step 5: First, roll both windows up as far as you can. Second, you must, what Mini decides to call, "Destandardise" the windows. I believe this function "zero's" the values originally stored. Do this by selecting "<F5> destand. front" (If you destandardise all, you will get a script error, at least with the hatchback)

No confirmation will appear that it is completing or has completed this task. I did notice though the 2 dots on the top left will both be white while it is destandardising the windows, and will continue to flash when completed.

Step 6: Once the windows have been destandardised, now its time to initialize (teach) the windows, ultimately re-configuring the pinch protection. To do this, select "<F2> init. front" A command prompt will appear stating "Front Window being taught !!!N ONE Jam protection system !!!". Select "OK".

The windows will now begin to re-initialize, aka. be taught the new values.

The windows will roll all the way down, and then back up by themself.
I had to do this 2-3 times to get the window fixed.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions!

Old 04-23-2012, 06:39 PM
sbeezy
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go to the NCS expert for beginners thread, its in there somewheres its a link to a torrent.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:58 PM
ID01
Neutral
Originally Posted by volksfragen
Thank you, worked like a charm on my R56 Justa

Old 09-14-2023, 04:28 PM
HornBlowR
2nd Gear
I want to thank you for this thorough description to fix the dreaded R56 window problem. It seems that I have to do this fix every 12 months, more or less, which sends me searching for your solution.

In internet(s) are full of videos showing the "hold the switch down 10 seconds..." solution which NEVER worked for me. I also see mechanics recommending the window regulator getting replaced, which I believe for most of us is unnecessary. Bastards!

Thanks again. Hoping my "new" reply will kick this solution up to the surface where it belongs.

Cheers!

Last edited by HornBlowR; 09-14-2023 at 04:53 PM.