Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical NCS Expert for dealer-programmable options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 02:48 PM
kgreen66
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help

I bought a cable and installed the software. I tested INPA and I was connected to the car. I'm not sure where to go from here. I want to use NCS Expert to program auto-up windows and sunroof. Also, comfort closing using key fob. I've researched on here and bimmerforums and the more I research, the more confused I get. Can anyone assist me with opening NCS and how to use it? Is the R56 daten file the same for an R53? I don't see any daten files specifically for R53. I do have an R50 daten file.

I had the mini at the dealer for the radio and they were plugged in and said they'd see about the auto-up windows while they were already connected. Later they said that wasn't an option on my 2006. I think they just didn't want the liability since there are no safeguards for pinching arms, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-13-2012, 03:32 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a 2004 R53 and was wondering if it's an option to have the fog lights stay on with high beams?

Old 06-13-2012, 05:06 PM
TRIPLE_O
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kgreen66
I bought a cable and installed the software. I tested INPA and I was connected to the car. I'm not sure where to go from here. I want to use NCS Expert to program auto-up windows and sunroof. Also, comfort closing using key fob. I've researched on here and bimmerforums and the more I research, the more confused I get. Can anyone assist me with opening NCS and how to use it? Is the R56 daten file the same for an R53? I don't see any daten files specifically for R53. I do have an R50 daten file.

I had the mini at the dealer for the radio and they were plugged in and said they'd see about the auto-up windows while they were already connected. Later they said that wasn't an option on my 2006. I think they just didn't want the liability since there are no safeguards for pinching arms, etc.

The best guide to read would be NCS_DIY.pdf There are many forums where you can find it and download it quickly. Read it over a few times but that will help you greatly and it is very straightforward.

I have only coded one R53 to this point (have coded many R56's), but you will be using R50 datens as I don't believe you can use R56 datens. There are no R53 datens.

I have done the auto up feature easily on the R56 but was unable to access it in the R53 (2004 Cooper S) (it was in the overall vehicle order, but I couldn't access it). I will have to do further testing to see how to activate it (but it has been done).

Old 06-13-2012, 07:24 PM
kgreen66
Neutral
Originally Posted by TRIPLE_O
The best guide to read would be NCS_DIY.pdf There are many forums where you can find it and download it quickly. Read it over a few times but that will help you greatly and it is very straightforward.

I have only coded one R53 to this point (have coded many R56's), but you will be using R50 datens as I don't believe you can use R56 datens. There are no R53 datens.

I have done the auto up feature easily on the R56 but was unable to access it in the R53 (2004 Cooper S) (it was in the overall vehicle order, but I couldn't access it). I will have to do further testing to see how to activate it (but it has been done).
Thanks, much! I appreciate the info. Wish me luck.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:32 PM
NWminiguy
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the R53 it is simple to get the auto up for the windows to work, in the bc1 just enable auto up for driver and passenger; along with the pinch sensors (the car doesnt have the sensors installed but the bc has to have them active to allow the auto up function).

I have done this to 3 R53s with out any issues, but on the '04 car I did only the drivers window would auto up, I could never get the passenger window to work.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:45 PM
NWminiguy
Neutral
Originally Posted by kgreen66

As Triple O said, there is not a good guide available online, and really you have to learn from reading how others have done it online the ncs diy.pdf is a very good start. Your not going to find many working with coopers on bimmerforums but the process is the same for reading the module, changing parameters and saving the new settings for a r53 or e46 .. for example. Also as previously noted use the R50 data files for the r53 even INPA uses R50 data files for the R53.
The dealer will not be able to enable auto up on a R50/53 .. and be aware that is you do take your car in and they process your car you risk loosing the settings you make using ncs expert. So you would have to go tweak things again. Always save a backup of your modules factory settings along with a backup of your personal tweaks.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:17 PM
claancy
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been looking around in the KMB module for my '06 using NCS Dummy. It appears that setting:
Code:
AUSSENTEMP_WARN_AKUSTIK
to "nicht_aktiv" should turn off the annoying chime when it drops below 37 degrees outside. However, I am unable to test this right now.

This:
Code:
BREMSBELAGVERSCHL_WARN
appears to enable/disable the break pad wear warning lamp. There are settings for the seatbelt warnings in this module too.

Now a question. This function:
Code:
SIA_GRENZE_INSPEKTION
has three settings for the oil service interval:
  • 11.000_km
  • 15.500_mls (currently active)
  • 25.000_km
Does anyone know, if I select "11.000_km" (which is 6835 miles) will the countdown change and display in km instead of miles? The distance unit is set elsewhere in this module.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:28 PM
NWminiguy
Neutral
Originally Posted by claancy
It appears that setting:
Code:
AUSSENTEMP_WARN_AKUSTIK
to "nicht_aktiv" should turn off the annoying chime when it drops below 37 degrees outside.
You should also be able to disable this chime along with the low fuel chime in the car/key memory settings area.

Now a question. This function:
Code:
SIA_GRENZE_INSPEKTION
has three settings for the oil service interval:
  • 11.000_km
  • 15.500_mls (currently active)
  • 25.000_km
Does anyone know, if I select "11.000_km" (which is 6835 miles) will the countdown change and display in km instead of miles? The distance unit is set elsewhere in this module.
Give it a shot... sounds logical. you car should show the unit as Miles as thats set in the kombi.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:35 PM
claancy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by NWminiguy
You should also be able to disable this chime along with the low fuel chime in the car/key memory settings area.
I've never had a low-fuel chime on either of my cars. I didn't know it was even a possibility until I found this thread.

Give it a shot... sounds logical. you car should show the unit as Miles as thats set in the kombi.
I'll try it out tomorrow after work.

Also, has anyone else done the window auto-up, as outlined here? - http://www.rogueeuro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=387

My BC1 trace doesn't have either of the "pinch" lines in it.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:43 PM
claancy
3rd Gear
It worked. My oil change interval is now 6825 miles.

Also, has anyone else done the window auto-up, as outlined here? - http://www.rogueeuro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=387

My BC1 trace doesn't have either of the "pinch" lines in it.
I tried this out, and auto-up works on the driver's window but not the passenger's. Any idea how to get it working?

Attached Thumbnails NCS Expert for dealer-programmable options?-img_0516.jpg  
Old 06-20-2012, 11:18 PM
TRIPLE_O
2nd Gear
On the R53 it is simple to get the auto up for the windows to work, in the bc1 just enable auto up for driver and passenger; along with the pinch sensors (the car doesnt have the sensors installed but the bc has to have them active to allow the auto up function).

I have done this to 3 R53s with out any issues, but on the '04 car I did only the drivers window would auto up, I could never get the passenger window to work.
Sorry, I misspoke on that. The auto up worked fine, I was referring to closing the windows with the keyfob. Sorry about that.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:40 AM
NWminiguy
Neutral
I tried this out, and auto-up works on the driver's window but not the passenger's. Any idea how to get it working?
I had the same issue with an '04 car, perhaps it is something with the newer cars where a simple programming mode wont get auto close... IDK.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:53 PM
claancy
3rd Gear
Sorry, I misspoke on that. The auto up worked fine, I was referring to closing the windows with the keyfob. Sorry about that.
Closing the windows with the keyfob works great. I love this feature and that's the main reason I got the cable. My .TRC file doesn't have the entries for the pinch sensors, so maybe that's why I can't get the passenger window auto-up to work. It's also not a big deal, because I can always put my Ian Cull circuit back in. I just liked the idea of it working without extra hardware.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:53 PM
NWminiguy
Neutral
Plus your driver window is used more then the passenger so having it auto up is nice for drive thrus & etc..

Old 06-24-2012, 05:31 PM
claancy
3rd Gear
Finally had a chance to play with coding the '03. Auto-up works great on both windows, but I can't close the windows with the keyfob. There's no "KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB" line in my .TRC file. There is "REMOTE_LAZY_LOCK," which NCS Dummy translates as "Comfort closing with remote (power windows)" but it doesn't seem to do anything. In addition the the auto-up, I was able to code the digital speed (in the tach display) and automatic unlocking when the ignition is turned off.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:45 PM
TRIPLE_O
2nd Gear
I haven't gotten the windows to close with the remote on early models yet (R50, R53). I will further investigate and see if I can find a solution. Like I said, it is in the vehicle order but I couldn't access it via the module it's nested under.

As far as the switches go for auto up I don't know without taking them apart, but here is what I think is going on. Hopefully one of you can try this out and help us all out. The passenger window switch may have a safety behind it so not only will you need to enable it via coding, you will need to disable the safety behind the switch. An easy way to test this may be by swapping the drivers and passengers window switches (after coding) to see if the auto up works.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:24 PM
NWminiguy
Neutral
The R50 mini doesn't have a dual position switch like the e46 does.. I think the auto up issue is just that the newer R50s don't have the pinch sensors in the BC1.

As for comfort closing, you can also check to see if NCS lists it in the car/key memory you may be able to set it active there.

I haven't gotten the windows to close with the remote on early models yet (R50, R53). I will further investigate and see if I can find a solution. Like I said, it is in the vehicle order but I couldn't access it via the module it's nested under.

As far as the switches go for auto up I don't know without taking them apart, but here is what I think is going on. Hopefully one of you can try this out and help us all out. The passenger window switch may have a safety behind it so not only will you need to enable it via coding, you will need to disable the safety behind the switch. An easy way to test this may be by swapping the drivers and passengers window switches (after coding) to see if the auto up works.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:59 PM
TRIPLE_O
2nd Gear
The R50 mini doesn't have a dual position switch like the e46 does.. I think the auto up issue is just that the newer R50s don't have the pinch sensors in the BC1.

As for comfort closing, you can also check to see if NCS lists it in the car/key memory you may be able to set it active there.
Thanks for the help. Next time I get my hands on an R50 or R53, I'll have to try this out.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:53 PM
serega12
1st Gear
I had the same issue with an '04 car, perhaps it is something with the newer cars where a simple programming mode wont get auto close... IDK.
Closing the windows with the keyfob works great. I love this feature and that's the main reason I got the cable. My .TRC file doesn't have the entries for the pinch sensors, so maybe that's why I can't get the passenger window auto-up to work. It's also not a big deal, because I can always put my Ian Cull circuit back in. I just liked the idea of it working without extra hardware.
Instead of starting a new thread, I'll majorly revive this one...

So after doing some looking at different versions of BC1 modules, this is what I found... it seems that my car (2005 R53 auto) has a BC1.C07 variant (latest one for R50/R53)... it also seems that to enable passenger window up we have to change WINDOW_PINCH_ENABLE_PASS and WINDOW_PINCH_ENABLE_DRIVER to aktiv, and it is only available in the earlier BC1 variants of the module (BC1.C02 and BC1.C03). .C05, .C06, and .C07 are out of luck.

wonder if it would hurt anything to flash BC1.C03 onto BC1.C07 module, if that's even possible. The biggest issue (as pointed out by someone on my Facebook post about this) is if that's even possible (and it's most likely not with NCSExpert) you'd likely lose some other features...

I guess Ian Cull's circuit would be the only option at this point.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:02 PM
serega12
1st Gear
On the positive note, I was able to get the NCS Expert software up and running!

I was able to enable the following changes on my 05 R53 Mini Cooper S:
*European double-flash hazards
*Fog lights stay on if I turn on my high beams (NAS, or North American Standard)
*Sunroof open AND close from both the remote AND key in door
*Auto up (one touch) on drivers side window, (as mentioned above, wasn't able to activate passenger side yet)
*Removed leading zero on odometer
*Changed my service interval from 15,500 miles to 11,000 km (6,835 miles, shows up as such)
*Disabled turn signal flashes when locking/unlocking the doors, my aftermarket alarm already does that with parking lights
*Disabled hot/cold checks for all the bulbs so no more rave LEDs
*Disabled low outside temp chime
*Enabled low fuel chime
*Windshield wipers switch to really slow when stopped
*Disabled chimes for seat belts
Also currently trying to find the settings to make speedometer show correct speed..

AS FOR THE SOFTWARE SET UP:
I was able to run all the programs on my Windows 10 64-bit Sony laptop with a silver $100 cable. I didn't need to set up a virtual machine or anything, but I did need to install the correct version of NCSEXPER_64 and such... If you follow the guide in this thread - it should work perfectly: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1204192
It's written and hosted by wildcatcrazy

The following users liked this post:
greystone (05-18-2021)
Old 02-29-2016, 04:09 AM
chris.j.lamb
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 02-29-2016, 11:20 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by serega12
Also currently trying to find the settings to make speedometer show correct speed..

AS FOR THE SOFTWARE SET UP:
I was able to run all the programs on my Windows 10 64-bit Sony laptop with a silver $100 cable. I didn't need to set up a virtual machine or anything, but I did need to install the correct version of NCSEXPER_64 and such... If you follow the guide in this thread - it should work perfectly: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1204192
It's written and hosted by wildcatcrazy
I pretty much changed the same options you did.

I'm trying to figure out how to do the same thing. Bugs me that the speedos in these cars overestimate the speed. When I have my scan tool (OTC Genisys) plugged in, the vehicle speed sensor shows the correct speed, so I know it's software that reports the overestimated speed to the instruments. Please post if you figure it out, and I'll do the same!

As for running NCSExpert in a 64-bit version of Windows, I'll have to look into this. It was kind of annoying to run a virtual machine on my Win7x64 laptop. Seemed to slow things down a bit.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:09 PM
serega12
1st Gear
Originally Posted by chris.j.lamb
That sounds a lot cheaper!! But a lot more involved.
Originally Posted by AKIndiMini
I pretty much changed the same options you did.

I'm trying to figure out how to do the same thing. Bugs me that the speedos in these cars overestimate the speed. When I have my scan tool (OTC Genisys) plugged in, the vehicle speed sensor shows the correct speed, so I know it's software that reports the overestimated speed to the instruments. Please post if you figure it out, and I'll do the same!

As for running NCSExpert in a 64-bit version of Windows, I'll have to look into this. It was kind of annoying to run a virtual machine on my Win7x64 laptop. Seemed to slow things down a bit.
I will let you know about the speedometer. And just follow the instructions in the link above. Should be able to install bmw tools onto a 64 bit machine directly with no issues .

Old 02-29-2016, 05:11 PM
serega12
1st Gear
Originally Posted by chris.j.lamb
By the way, that link was missing a very important picture on how to put them together for post face lift setup.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:41 AM
JKo
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by serega12
On the positive note, I was able to get the NCS Expert software up and running!

I was able to enable the following changes on my 05 R53 Mini Cooper S:
*European double-flash hazards
*Fog lights stay on if I turn on my high beams (NAS, or North American Standard)
*Sunroof open AND close from both the remote AND key in door
*Auto up (one touch) on drivers side window, (as mentioned above, wasn't able to activate passenger side yet)
*Removed leading zero on odometer
*Changed my service interval from 15,500 miles to 11,000 km (6,835 miles, shows up as such)
*Disabled turn signal flashes when locking/unlocking the doors, my aftermarket alarm already does that with parking lights
*Disabled hot/cold checks for all the bulbs so no more rave LEDs
*Disabled low outside temp chime
*Enabled low fuel chime
*Windshield wipers switch to really slow when stopped
*Disabled chimes for seat belts
I know this was posted more than two years ago, but this thread was brought back from the dead once before so...

You mentioned that you have BC1.C07 in your car. Mine is the same, so probably no chance for passenger window auto up. But on my BC1 trace I can't find the setting for low outside temp chime (AUSSENTEMP_WARN_AKUSTIK)... did you have it or how did you manage to turn it off?

Quick Reply: Electrical NCS Expert for dealer-programmable options?