Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Multifunction steeringwheel retrofit? NOT plug and play 2005 MCS

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 06:18 PM
firehawk618
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multifunction steeringwheel retrofit? NOT plug and play 2005 MCS

I wanted cruise control in a bad way, and hate aftermarket systems so I decided i'm going to retrofit a MFSW myself.

After tons of reading and researching I came to the conclusion that all those that say all you have to do is get the buttons and coding are completely wrong.

My car is a 01/05 build MCS.

#1 it did NOT have the right clockspring to support the buttons on the wheel.

#2 NONE of the wiring existed in the car.

So, I proceeded to score a complete steering column with a MFSW, tach, ignition with key, all switches etc online for $65!

Got it here, downloaded the instructions that are floating around for the MFSW retrofit offered by MINI but can tell you this, for the 01/05 build the instructions are slightly wrong.

I went ahead and used the pins out of the connectors that came with the column, and those pins worked on the speedometer, body control module, engine control module and clutch position switch therefore I didn't have to buy a harness and you cannot buy the retrofit harness seperate from the whole kit.

I used the instructions from the retrofit kit to build my own harness and get it all installed however the retrofit kit shows adding a clutch pedal switch and I didn't have one but figured I could just buy the switch from the dealer. After looking on realoem it looks just like the brake light switch and has the same part number so surely that's all I need to order.

I call the dealer and explain the switch I need and they tell me there is no clutch pedal switch, only the one on the clutch master cylinder. But the instructions clearly show adding the switch to the blank on top of the clutch pedal.

I went ahead and ordered a brake light switch, got it here and inspected it and as I suspected it isn't going to work. The reason is that on the clutch pedal there's no metal tab to trigger the hall effect switch that goes in the blank.

That got me thinking and looking at factory schematics.....after asking some questions I figured that the DME must get the signal it wants from that existing switch. My switch had only 3 wires but other guys with factory cruise have 4 wires to that switch.

The other problem is the schematic shows that extra wire going to pin 4 on the DME, but the retrofit kit shows that clutch wire going to pin 89"i think" so not quite the same and i'd already run the wire to that pin on the DME....

Heck with it, I tied in that vacant slot on the existing clutch switch to pin 89 on the DME as stated in the instructions and it worked perfectly.

With cruise engaged it cuts it off after I move the clutch pedal <2"

Oh yeah, you also have to "retrofit MFSW" via sss or the module will ignore all the switches you just installed.

Just wanted this out here incase anyone is searching for how to do it and wants to see someone who has done this vs. all the people who say you should just......etc etc etc

Bottom line, $65.00 and several hours of work and research and I have a fully functioning multifunction steering wheel.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:30 PM
davidgs
Neutral
Hi!

I'm from Perú and here the MINI store only have the models without audio and bluetooth controls on the steering wheel. I want to know if I replace the steering wheel for another with the audio and bluetooth would it work with ok? (The model of the MINI is a 2012)

Thanks for the answer

Old 01-28-2021, 05:49 PM
leon carter
Neutral
So have you got instructions on what you did?

Old 01-28-2021, 06:37 PM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
Received 165 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by firehawk618
I wanted cruise control in a bad way, and hate aftermarket systems so I decided i'm going to retrofit a MFSW myself.

After tons of reading and researching I came to the conclusion that all those that say all you have to do is get the buttons and coding are completely wrong.

My car is a 01/05 build MCS.

#1 it did NOT have the right clockspring to support the buttons on the wheel.

#2 NONE of the wiring existed in the car.

So, I proceeded to score a complete steering column with a MFSW, tach, ignition with key, all switches etc online for $65!

Got it here, downloaded the instructions that are floating around for the MFSW retrofit offered by MINI but can tell you this, for the 01/05 build the instructions are slightly wrong.

I went ahead and used the pins out of the connectors that came with the column, and those pins worked on the speedometer, body control module, engine control module and clutch position switch therefore I didn't have to buy a harness and you cannot buy the retrofit harness seperate from the whole kit.

I used the instructions from the retrofit kit to build my own harness and get it all installed however the retrofit kit shows adding a clutch pedal switch and I didn't have one but figured I could just buy the switch from the dealer. After looking on realoem it looks just like the brake light switch and has the same part number so surely that's all I need to order.

I call the dealer and explain the switch I need and they tell me there is no clutch pedal switch, only the one on the clutch master cylinder. But the instructions clearly show adding the switch to the blank on top of the clutch pedal.

I went ahead and ordered a brake light switch, got it here and inspected it and as I suspected it isn't going to work. The reason is that on the clutch pedal there's no metal tab to trigger the hall effect switch that goes in the blank.

That got me thinking and looking at factory schematics.....after asking some questions I figured that the DME must get the signal it wants from that existing switch. My switch had only 3 wires but other guys with factory cruise have 4 wires to that switch.

The other problem is the schematic shows that extra wire going to pin 4 on the DME, but the retrofit kit shows that clutch wire going to pin 89"i think" so not quite the same and i'd already run the wire to that pin on the DME....

Heck with it, I tied in that vacant slot on the existing clutch switch to pin 89 on the DME as stated in the instructions and it worked perfectly.

With cruise engaged it cuts it off after I move the clutch pedal <2"

Oh yeah, you also have to "retrofit MFSW" via sss or the module will ignore all the switches you just installed.

Just wanted this out here incase anyone is searching for how to do it and wants to see someone who has done this vs. all the people who say you should just......etc etc etc

Bottom line, $65.00 and several hours of work and research and I have a fully functioning multifunction steering wheel.
What about the trans module ?
The OEM version for manual will only engage cruise while in top gear.....s

Old 02-16-2021, 09:56 AM
jjcsnlynn
5th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Eurothrasher
What about the trans module ?
The OEM version for manual will only engage cruise while in top gear.....s
Not true. I did cruise in 4th, 5th and 6th this morning after reading this.