Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical KBus Tap without dissassembly

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Charles Linquist
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an R56, a CAN interface board, and I write code for control systems. Trouble is - I can't find the "18 pin connector near the steering column" mentioned in an earlier post. Can someone give me more detail? Do I have to remove any panels?

Also, does anyone know the data rate used? I have seen people refer to 100Kbits/sec, but the standard CAN rates are 125Kbits, 250Kbits and 500Kbits/sec. Also, are standard (5V) signaling levels used?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Yeah.ThatsRice.
3rd Gear
Follow the steering column panel until you're in the pedal area. On the left side, look straight up (get your head in there). There will be a little cover that should say OBDII. That's it.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:48 PM
lexakalex
Neutral
Charles Linquist: I wrote a small howto with pictures for KCAN bus http://code.google.com/p/carbot/wiki/CAN232attach
KCAN bus speed is 100K.

I also have some KCAN codes for my mini. http://code.google.com/p/carbot/wiki...desMiniCooperS

PS. KCAN and OBD II are 2 different buses. OBD II uses CAN/500 as a transport protocol, it is used for car diagnostics. There are standard programs to read various standard values from OBD II such as speed, RPMs, turbine pressure, etc.

KCAN uses CAN/100. It is used to control body electronics such as windows, doors, roof, etc. It also provides speed, RPMs, time, turbine pressure All console gauges use KCAN to read data. The biggest challenge is that KCAN is a closed BMW standard. One needs to reverse engineer protocol to make use of the bus.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Charles Linquist
1st Gear
Thank you very much! Project for next weekend!

Old 04-09-2017, 02:24 PM
Quadrant5
Neutral
Originally Posted by lexakalex
Yesterday I've successfully connected CAN232 to the wires that go from tachometer.
GREEN - K_CAN_H
ORANGE/GREEN - K_CAN_L
YELLOW/RED - POWER
BROWN - GROUND

I've created a quick bash script to filter out irrelevant traffic on the bus.
I can see signals for the following buttons:
Steering wheel: Volume and next/prev track.
Windows
Blinkers
Computer button (the one on the blinker handle)

I can also send these commands and car responds.

I was not able to get codes for interior light switches. They might be on a different bus :-(

Haven't tried yet anything more complex such as speedometer / tachometer readings.
Hello. This is my first post on this forum as I am a new Mini owner. I know this thread is old, but it hits just what I need to know. A little extra help is all I need.

lexakalex, I have no problem following your suggestions to connect to the K-CAN bus. The part I need help with is how to physically tap into the bus wires. I tried to solder wires to the individual pins in the connector (car side, not tach side), but could not get the pin back into the connector once I was done. I know somewhere on this thread you posted a link "with pictures" and instructions. I tried to look at that but there were no pictures. If you are still following this thread, I would appreciate your help in getting over this little hurdle.

Thank you,

Quadrant5

Old 04-09-2017, 03:33 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Quadrant5
The part I need help with is how to physically tap into the bus wires.​
There are various products available to easily tap into a wire. They are called T-Tap connectors and can be found in hardware, electrical, and automotive supply stores. I recommend Posi-Tap (https://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html) which is more secure than the "traditional" t-tap design, available on Amazon and some automotive stores.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:17 PM
Quadrant5
Neutral
Originally Posted by rkw
There are various products available to easily tap into a wire. They are called T-Tap connectors and can be found in hardware, electrical, and automotive supply stores. I recommend Posi-Tap (https://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html) which is more secure than the "traditional" t-tap design, available on Amazon and some automotive stores.
Thank you so much. It figures that I was trying to do things the hard way. This was just the help I was looking for. Quick reply too!

Gratefully,

Quadrant5