Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Electrical Installed Autodim Mirror on '03 MC (not pre-wired) - Need Wiring help

Old 07-18-2008, 06:36 AM
jrodri7
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Installed Autodim Mirror on '03 MC (not pre-wired) - Need Wiring help

I installed the OEM autodim and homelink mirror in my '03 Cooper. Since my year was not prewired, I will be left with finding out how to get the power and ground supply to the mirror without blowing anything up.

I was able to find the pin-outs for its connection online (text pasted below), and the salvage place that sold me the mirror was kind enough to leave the car-side connection in place with short wires which will make it easier to splice. I have a couple of questions though:

1. Is it advisable to tap into the power connections from the clock or the dome lights? I would think that the mirror would need power when the doors were unlocked (and lights come on) to be able to run the homelink buttons but not need constant power unless homelink loses its memory on power disconnect, which I don't believe it does because our Acura has had its battery disconnected and we never had to re-program it.

2. Looking at the pin-out diagram, I don't think I would need to connect a data wire for the remote control or the rear fog light wire since these are not applicable to a U.S. '03. What about the other connections ? I think Terminal 15 and Supply are 12V constant and switched power, and Ground is just that.

And finally, if #1 is not advisable and I use add-a-fuse, from what location would someone recommend to be able to get constant and switched power from?

**Pin-out description**
A22 Electrochromic interior rear-view mirror
Pin assignments at plug connector X18246 (10-pin, black)

Pin * Type * Description/Signal type * Connection/Measuring notes

1 * E * Signal, rear fog light * Activation, electric throttle valve 2

2 * A * Signal, data line ZV remote control * General module control unit

3 * E * Terminal 15 * Fuse F35

4 Not used

5 Not used

6 Not used

7 Not used

8 * E * Supply * General module control unit

9 Not used

10 * M * Ground * Ground point

Old 07-28-2008, 06:56 AM
jrodri7
2nd Gear
I was able to get it to work by just running a switched 12V from the driver's side fuse bank to the #3 pin and then ground. The other lines I am assuming are just for the models that have the remote sensor in the mirror, and probably one to detect going in reverse to turn of the auto-dim function like our Acura.

Ran the wires up the side a pillar and then over to the mirror. The homelink functions perfectly, and does not lose the code when the key is removed and power is switched off. I really like the autodim feature. I got tired of getting blinded by people and their mis-aimed "HID" lights which are so prevalent here in South Florida. I especially love the Escalades. Cadillac should be shot for those lights. Now I know what Ms. Silkwood went through. (litmus test)

mechanically the mirror fits onto the post just like the mirror I removed. The only issue I had was that the passenger visor would hit the mirror if it was folded down. They must have switched to smaller visors at some point, possibly in '05, or models with the pano roof due to the larger switch assembly. Either way, very pleased with the results. Anyone need a passenger visor?

I know, I'll post pics later.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:15 PM
bggale
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AutoDim Rearview Mirror

I want one of these things in my 2006 Mini S convert. Anyone know how to take the old one off? How about getting into the overhead light/switch panel? I figure I can get power in there, as long as it's the hot wire to the light switch (not the one that goes on when the door opens).

Old 07-28-2008, 06:23 PM
jrodri7
2nd Gear
on your model, there probably is a plastic cap that surrounds the metal post of the mirror. You separate the two pieces by placing a plastic spudger tool or your finder nail in the middle that joins the two pieces to release the catches.

Then it just a matter of turning the base firmly wither way, and it will release from its post. Unplug the connector and replug the new mirror. In my model and probably prior to '05, no prewiring as the remote sensor was a separate module. In '05 and newer, it is incorporated into the rearview mirror and is already pre-wired to accept the autodim UGDO mirror.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:32 PM
bggale
1st Gear
AutoDim GDO Rearview Mirror

My 2006 S convert currently has a plain, manual dip rearview. No electrics at all, as far as I know. Are you saying this car is pre-wired for the autodim/GDO rearview mirror? If I remove the current mirror, there will be an electrical connector in there?

Old 07-28-2008, 06:40 PM
big howe
5th Gear
Yes as of 05, mines a 11/04 build, your car should be prewired for it. just pull the plastic, twist the mirror off. Wires should be there.
Classic MINI just had a 10% over cost sale, Homelink-auto dim was $370. Retails near $550. They can confirm if your car is wired.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:44 PM
jrodri7
2nd Gear
yes bggale, in your model the rearview mirror incorporates the key fob transmitter for the car and has the harness connect to power it. straight plug and play.

I had to run 12V and ground because I have an '03 which have the remote transmitter installed just beside the mirror post attached to the roof.

Hope this helps. good luck!

Old 08-02-2008, 01:09 AM
bggale
1st Gear
AutoDim GDO Mirror

Guys,
Thanks for the info. I'm getting one. I only wish I hadn't missed the sale (they told me it's over).

Old 08-02-2008, 02:10 AM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Interesting! Did the newer mirror physically mount to the '03 bracket, or did you have to modify something for that to work too?

I'd really like the homelink for my '04, as well as the auto dim mirror.

Thanks for posting info on this mod!

Old 08-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Bhozar
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I just mounted a facelift auto dimming mirror to my Feb 03 MCS. I took ground and live from the clock with no problems.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:45 PM
exocet
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Resurrecting this thread...

Need some help with the wiring on a non-facelift (small version) auto-dim mirror (not-homelink).

There are three wires - black, white and grey. Does anyone know which is which?

Edit: found the answer per Bentley Manual - it only displays the car side of the connector but has the corresponding pin info.
White = 12v
Black = gnd
Grey = reversing function (fused on F13).

Last edited by exocet; 02-04-2014 at 04:41 PM. Reason: found the answer
Old 01-08-2017, 08:35 PM
SuprCoop
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, can anyone provide a picture of how their mirror side wires are arranged in order from pin 1-10? I'm having some issues getting things wired back appropriately with the new mirror. Thank you!!