Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical 3rd. Brake light pulsar

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 05:31 AM
Nimcosi
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the pics!

Old 09-18-2007, 06:29 AM
Mini S Pilot
5th Gear
Thanks for the pics. DH doesn't sweat this type stuff, but I need to get it ordered.

Last edited by Mini S Pilot; 09-18-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:51 AM
Need
4th Gear
Today I saw the pulsar for the first time. I was behind a SUV in freeway traffic and it kept flashing at me non-stop. It got really annoying after a few miles and I have to pass him. I guess these things are fun to look at only if you don't have to follow behind the same car for miles and miles.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:49 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
The pulsar has prevented me from being mashed in the back several times. I always depress the brake several times while stopped at a light to get the attention of the driver barreling up behind me. If it is annoying then it's doing its job .

Old 09-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Mini S Pilot
5th Gear
Originally Posted by buzzsaw
The pulsar has prevented me from being mashed in the back several times. I always depress the brake several times while stopped at a light to get the attention of the driver barreling up behind me. If it is annoying then it's doing its job .
Exactly!!!

Just ordered mine from GOMINIGO. Oops, I also ordered the 6 pulse. I guess I'll be driving some people crazy:impatient in the near future. So they will move from behind me. That's a good thing also.

I've never really feared being hit from behind until owning this Mini. It's a magnet for those wanting to smell some intense exhaust fumes. I keep joking with the DH that I'm going to end up getting out of the car on occasions and showing the butt behind me just how close:impatient he is. We all know what this will lead to now don't we? I'm hoping the light will surpress this issue just a bit.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:40 AM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
The pulser from Moss Mini hooks up very easily in the R56. It also comes sealed in a thumb-sized/shaped rubberized tube. There is about 3/4" rubber sleeve, which, if trimmed off, will allow the unit to fit into the 3rd brake light housing. However, it is a very, very tight fit. I decided to just mount the unit to the outside of the 3rd brake light housing. It isn't visible when the hatch is closed and barely visible when it is. It is also waterproof. I like the fact that it has a delay, so will not keep pulsing while creeping along in traffic jams.

Lynne -- Is it solid state or does it have a relay? Does it make a clicking sound when pulsing the lights? I like the delay feature, but will forgo it if the unit uses a relay.

Thanks,
Jinx

Old 09-19-2007, 07:06 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The unit is sealed. I do not hear any click at all.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:28 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Jinxy
Lynne -- Is it solid state or does it have a relay? Does it make a clicking sound when pulsing the lights? I like the delay feature, but will forgo it if the unit uses a relay.

Thanks,
Jinx
It is a solid state unit, there is no clicking at all like other models on the market.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:10 AM
Mini S Pilot
5th Gear
Thanks for all the info everyone. Order my 6 pulse from GOMINIGO. Came in mail yesterday. Hubby just finished installing it for me. Six whole minutes from start to finish and he didn't even look at this thread. He knew that I had and just asked about the yellow and brown wires. The yellow being power and the brown being the ground. Pretty easy job. I have pics, but they are so close to the pics posted in the second page of this thread, which by the way were excellent directions for those needing them.

I'll loan my Hubby out to any locals who need help with this mod. Not a problem.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:21 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Here are install pics of my Moss Mini pulser. I wanted the 15 second delay option. Lots of stop and go in the city here. It comes with wire nuts and a quick splice connector. All you need is a wire cutter/stripper for the install. The module does not fit in the brake light housing. I ended up mounting it outside (probably like LynnEl). It's not visible when hatch closed. I didn't have the patience (or skills of Coffeeman) to extend the wiring and hide it somewhere else.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:52 AM
johne123
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
another installation location

I installed the module available from Moss Mini in my car recently. This is actually made by Web Electric Products and for less money. Here's a link: http://webelectricproducts.com/blp/blpdetails.htm

After trying to install with it hanging outside the trim panel, I wasn't happy with this. I removed the wiring harness boot that runs from the body of the car to the hatch. In there I found the same yellow wire so reinstalled it close to where the wiring comes out of the roof. I was then able to stuff the module in there so it's completely invisible. I wrapped the module with extra black fabric tape to minimize any chance it will make noise while bouncing around.

I should mention there were several brown ground wires in the harness. Sticking a sharp test lead into the different brown wires, I was able to find that one of them had a lower resistance to the brown ground wire at the LED connector than the others. While they're all Ground, this should be the wire directly from the brake light LED wiring. I'll try to take a picture of the finished installation this weekend. I suppose for good measure, I could zip tie the module to the thick wiring harness for good measure. For now, everything has a healthy amount of fabric tape around it.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:20 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Johne123, nice job! Clever. Pictures please. Now you are going to force me to clean up my quick and dirty install.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:52 AM
ghosthound
6th Gear
hmm... looks like that website also makes one touch windows... i wonder if they could maybe make it for the MINI!

Old 11-13-2007, 11:10 AM
b59oilburner
1st Gear
Couple of questions...

Which end of the rubber boot did you remove? The hatch end or the body end? Did removing and replacing the boot require any tricky procedure in order to avoid damaging the boot? This seems like a much better solution than leaving the module exposed outside the trim.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:51 PM
johne123
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by b59oilburner
Which end of the rubber boot did you remove? The hatch end or the body end? Did removing and replacing the boot require any tricky procedure in order to avoid damaging the boot? This seems like a much better solution than leaving the module exposed outside the trim.
Body end. It's pretty easy to pull at the lip to dislodge it from the opening in the body. Reinstalling is just a matter of pushing around the edge to reseat it. Sorry I dont have pictures yet. Tonight I get to play with a broken garage door opener. Grrr.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:15 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by johne123
Body end. It's pretty easy to pull at the lip to dislodge it from the opening in the body. Reinstalling is just a matter of pushing around the edge to reseat it. Sorry I dont have pictures yet. Tonight I get to play with a broken garage door opener. Grrr.
Forgive my electrical ignorance, but if I don't have a sharp test lead, can I use any brown ground wire?

Old 11-19-2007, 05:02 PM
ssj300
Neutral
How does the pulsar work?

If you press the brakes slightly, will it pulse?
or only if you hit the brakes hard?

BECause if any pressure on the brakes results in pulsating lights, the car will look ridiculous.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:43 PM
Nimcosi
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ssj300
BECause if any pressure on the brakes results in pulsating lights, the car will look ridiculous.
It does just that, but will pause after a second press if you have that option. Why does that look ridiculous? I would think the SUV behind you that is attempting to mount your mini would look ridiculous...

Old 11-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Scrumpy_Jack
2nd Gear
I just installed the 6 pulsar on my GP. Even though the light is relocated to the bottom of the window, the install is just as easy!! My wife loved it soo much we are ordering one for her MCS! Definately makes D.C. driver pay attention!

Old 11-25-2007, 07:20 PM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by johne123
I installed the module available from Moss Mini in my car recently. This is actually made by Web Electric Products and for less money. Here's a link: http://webelectricproducts.com/blp/blpdetails.htm

After trying to install with it hanging outside the trim panel, I wasn't happy with this. I removed the wiring harness boot that runs from the body of the car to the hatch. In there I found the same yellow wire so reinstalled it close to where the wiring comes out of the roof. I was then able to stuff the module in there so it's completely invisible. I wrapped the module with extra black fabric tape to minimize any chance it will make noise while bouncing around.

I should mention there were several brown ground wires in the harness. Sticking a sharp test lead into the different brown wires, I was able to find that one of them had a lower resistance to the brown ground wire at the LED connector than the others. While they're all Ground, this should be the wire directly from the brake light LED wiring. I'll try to take a picture of the finished installation this weekend. I suppose for good measure, I could zip tie the module to the thick wiring harness for good measure. For now, everything has a healthy amount of fabric tape around it.
As inspired by johne123, here are pictures from my relocation of the Moss Mini pulser to the wiring harness boot location. Instead of testing for resistance, I just picked a random brown wire. It is just as easy as my original install but much better hidden and protected. Thanks johne123!

Old 01-04-2008, 01:36 PM
giantjoe
2nd Gear
I installed the gominigo 6 pulse today. Wow. It took longer to find the tools than to do the job. If anyone is considering an easy modification this one is for you.

Old 01-05-2008, 12:58 PM
larrydata
2nd Gear
I installed the Webelectrics pulser today. Thanks to the examples from this thread it went smoothly and really fast. I took step-by-step pics if anyone needs to know more about the install.

Larry

Old 01-07-2008, 08:39 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
installed today... i took off the connector from the harness side and soldered the wires directly to the board. This allowed the unit to fit inside the brake light housing. I just hope it doesnt make any vibration noises...

Old 01-08-2008, 10:45 AM
ColinMc
4th Gear
For those of you having trouble fitting whatever companys flasher dealy, it's because you are using those freaken quick connect or crimp connectors! Solder it! If you solder and heat shrink the wires you won't take up nearly as much space. It's not hard to do. Heck, find a friend who can and have them do that part quick. Plus then it'll look nice and clean for those of you like me that are OCD even if you can't see it lol.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:05 AM
lacning74
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ColinMc
For those of you having trouble fitting whatever companys flasher dealy, it's because you are using those freaken quick connect or crimp connectors! Solder it! If you solder and heat shrink the wires you won't take up nearly as much space. It's not hard to do. Heck, find a friend who can and have them do that part quick. Plus then it'll look nice and clean for those of you like me that are OCD even if you can't see it lol.
It's not just that with the MossMini/Webelectrics model. The rubber tube housing that protects the circuit board is very bulky as compared to the gominigo version. I could remove the housing I guess or do some dremeling, but I just moved it here as recommended by johne123. Plenty of room in that hole.

I agree soldering + heat shrink is the best, but I used twist nuts anyway.

Quick Reply: Electrical 3rd. Brake light pulsar