Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical 3rd. Brake light pulsar

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 08:07 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LynnEl
I received the Pulser from Moss Mini. I have a question: On the 2007, there are two wires coming out of the 3rd brake light unit, a brown one and a yellow one. Does anyone know which goes where? Thanks!

Brown is ground and yellow is power. The color for the wires on the 2007 have been added to the instructions.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mini-rolls
Brown is ground and yellow is power. The color for the wires on the 2007 have been added to the instructions.
Thanks! To what instructions and where can I get them?

Old 07-04-2007, 08:18 AM
darmog
4th Gear
Question, is that pulsing effect for the brake light illegal for some states like say Ca? I know the pulsing is supposed to draw attention, but at the same time it might also be considered a distraction. I just don't wanna be braking in front of police car just to all of a sudden see a different set of lights flashing in my rear.

Old 07-04-2007, 04:29 PM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Try PM-ing Coffeeman-the author of this post. He installed it on his 07.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:30 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
The pulser from Moss Mini hooks up very easily in the R56. It also comes sealed in a thumb-sized/shaped rubberized tube. There is about 3/4" rubber sleeve, which, if trimmed off, will allow the unit to fit into the 3rd brake light housing. However, it is a very, very tight fit. I decided to just mount the unit to the outside of the 3rd brake light housing. It isn't visible when the hatch is closed and barely visible when it is. It is also waterproof. I like the fact that it has a delay, so will not keep pulsing while creeping along in traffic jams.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:31 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by buzzsaw
Try PM-ing Coffeeman-the author of this post. He installed it on his 07.
Perhaps others would like the info shared.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:02 AM
Mini S Pilot
5th Gear
Thanks for the information on this little mod. I've emailed this thread to the hubby for consideration. We drive up and down our beach stripe often and little to say it's bumper to bumper most of the time. :impatient This will help to keep our rear neighbors more alert.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:34 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
It has been added to our instructions and are in the kits purchased from GOMINIGO.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:37 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by darmog
Question, is that pulsing effect for the brake light illegal for some states like say Ca? I know the pulsing is supposed to draw attention, but at the same time it might also be considered a distraction. I just don't wanna be braking in front of police car just to all of a sudden see a different set of lights flashing in my rear.
When deciding to create our product I contacted the California Highway Patrol, and questioned them about the pulsar modes. The pulsar are not illegal, if they pulsed all the time the brake was on then yes it would be illegal. A short pulse is a safety issue and units like this are used on motorcycles.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:24 PM
LOP
3rd Gear
pulsing brake light

I installed this in my SSR and plan on installing the same in our MINI when it arrives.
It is compact and very SIMPLE to install.

I got the delay one since it has an 8 second delay for those bumper to bumper times...

http://www.kahtec.com/smart_stop.htm

Old 07-16-2007, 07:35 PM
daveag98
4th Gear
Can someone take step by step pics of the install next time someone does one?

I am not too keen on cutting wires without seeing the process.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:54 PM
mom2jmg
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by daveag98
Can someone take step by step pics of the install next time someone does one?

I am not too keen on cutting wires without seeing the process.
Chicken!!!Want to come over when I install the one on James' MINI?

Christie

Old 07-17-2007, 07:49 AM
daveag98
4th Gear
yeah

Old 07-23-2007, 08:28 AM
ice877
2nd Gear
does anyone have any pics on the install in a 2007? i got my mini two days ago and this is something i plan to do pretty soon. i had a friend that had this on this car. i will probably go w/ the moss mini one too to prevent just rapid flashing while stuck in traffic

Old 07-30-2007, 01:34 PM
modernist
1st Gear
Does anyone by chance know the part number to the small section of wiring for the 06 MCS where the gomini pulsar splices into? I'd like to just buy a new section of wiring from the dealer and do the splicing on that and just drop it in when I have a chance and save the original one intact.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:55 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No, but if you find out, please post it here.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:23 AM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by modernist
Does anyone by chance know the part number to the small section of wiring for the 06 MCS where the gomini pulsar splices into? I'd like to just buy a new section of wiring from the dealer and do the splicing on that and just drop it in when I have a chance and save the original one intact.
It is actually part of the light. We looked into purchasing that piece but you must buy the whole light. Then MINI changed mid-stream and removed that wire and did a direct connection to the circuit board for the light.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:20 PM
Nimcosi
4th Gear
Has anyone installed one of these lately? I am wondering if there is preferred version for installation in the R56. Any pictures?

Old 09-08-2007, 12:06 PM
JMike
3rd Gear
I just ordered one my self or an 07. If no pictures are posted before I install mine I'll post some at that time. I've also requested to get the 07 instructions if they are available.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:09 PM
ice877
2nd Gear
thnx jmike! which version did you get ? the gominigo or one w/ a delay?

Old 09-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Nimcosi
4th Gear
mini-rolls, is there any concern with condensation or rain water getting to your pulsar (assuming you follow the installation instructions)? The reason I ask is alot of the other variants of brake light pulsars appear to be enclosed units and not open.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:41 PM
TwistySister
4th Gear
I installed a GOMINIGO pulsar a couple of weeks ago when I changed my third brakelight to a white/clear one to match my clear taillights. It made it so simple since I was replacing the whole unit anyway. Although cutting the wires still freaked me out a little! But, really very easy. I also added the GOMINIGO splice for the brakelights on my 02. Now the top AND bottom lights of the tail light come on when the brakes are applied. In the 02 and I think the 03 one light in the unit isn't hooked up for anything - how weird is that??? Much better now! These changes have really helped braking visability to the drivers behind me. I think they are backing off more now.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:54 PM
mini-rolls
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Nimcosi
mini-rolls, is there any concern with condensation or rain water getting to your pulsar (assuming you follow the installation instructions)? The reason I ask is alot of the other variants of brake light pulsars appear to be enclosed units and not open.
No, the install location for our pulsar is inside the skin of the car, a sealed area. If you look at the third brake light itself is also an open curcuit board. Enclosing it would add alot of expense to the unit, it is not required.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:30 AM
JMike
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ice877
thnx jmike! which version did you get ? the gominigo or one w/ a delay?
I got the gominigo 6 pulse light. It came and I was hoping to put it on this past weekend but other things came up. Hopefully I'll get it on this next weekend if not one of these evenings.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:19 PM
JMike
3rd Gear
OK here is what I was able to come up with for an install on a 2007 MC.

Hopefully these pictures come through. I couldn't figure out how to upload more than 3 pictures to the message so I uplaoded them into my gallery and linked them here so hopefully this works. I also created an avi file that shows the lights in action but I don't think I can upload it here so if anyone would like it I could send it to you.

Hope this helps anyone else. It only took me less than an hour with having to try to figure out how to get the trim piece off and where to mount it.

#1 Third brake light plactic cover removed.

#2 Showing the wiring going to the light (this is all on the harnes, the light itself does not have any wiring on it like previous models.)

#3 Stripped back about 2 1/2" of the covering on the wires.

#4 Made my cut at about 2" back from the plug.

#5 Stripped back about 1/8 - 3/16" of insulation from each wire. (doesn't need much)

#6 Shown with the board mounted on wire. Yellow = 12v, Brown = Ground.

#7 Shows where I was able to tuck it beside light. (Very tight fit, not sure if clip closest to light (shown in picture left of board) actually cliped in but it feels snug with no gaps.

#8 There are 4 clips like the one shown in the last picture that actually hold the trim piece in place. You must bow the entire trim piece outward to get it on and off the end trim strips.

Last edited by JMike; 09-17-2007 at 08:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Electrical 3rd. Brake light pulsar