Eastern Iowa MINIs Eastern Iowa MINI enthusiasts group

Two Way Radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 05:12 PM
Little Rebel
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two Way Radio

Can anyone advise me on the purchase of a two way radio? Anything to look for or avoid?

Old 03-25-2012, 05:26 PM
Gil-galad
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Little Rebel
Can anyone advise me on the purchase of a two way radio? Anything to look for or avoid?
Hi Laura! I'm no expert but here are a few things I'd look for in a set of GMRS/FRS radios based on the "cheapies" I purchased at the local big box store:

1. Mine just eat AAA batteries...during multi-day drives they can devour 8 batteries a day each. My next set will definitely have rechargeable batteries and I recommend this too.
2. Make sure you get radios that can tune to subchannels in addition to the main channels (lots of events use subchannels to organize the chatter).
3. Get radios that allow you to easily key the "talk" button with one hand. Mine have a couple of extra buttons on the side that I'm always keying by accident during drives.
4. Figure out where you're going to put your radio in your MINI so it's not flying around the cockpit in the twisties (cup-holder, dash mount, clipped to a visor, etc.).

A good radio is certainly worth the investment during a group drive.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:12 AM
rataczak
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have Motorola Talkabout two-way Radios. They come with a battery charger base. We have used these radios on several Mini runs! They will stay charged up for the entire weekend no problem!