Eastern Iowa MINIs Eastern Iowa MINI enthusiasts group

Servicing in Iowa

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Jaque_Mate
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Servicing in Iowa

Hi, not to clog up your board with stuff, but... I'm from the St. Louis club and I'm going to college in IA. Um, where can I get my MINI serviced if something happens, since I saw there aren't dealers anywhere near Des Moines? I called the service department of the local BMW dealership and they said they don't handle MINI's unless its something like an oil change.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:17 AM
sagespot
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I take mine out to Omaha. Although it's a bit of a hike, I like the service techs there, so to me it's worth it. I think that's the closest dealership to DSM. If you're on the eastern side of the state, it would be Chicago, the northern part, you'd go to Minneapolis, and if you're in the central southern area, I think you'd probably go to St. Louis.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:06 AM
D3m0N
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only know my area Iowa City, of course this would be out of warranty

simpson motor sports does a great job

Old 11-18-2009, 04:39 AM
deanman
5th Gear
If you're on the east side of the state, I've found the Milwaukee dealership to be much more friendly and accommodating than the one in Chicago where I bought my MINI.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Jaque_Mate
4th Gear
Well, thanks for the info guys, maybe next semester I'll be cruising the streets of Iowa in my MINI.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:46 AM
D3m0N
Always good to have more MINI's arround!!!

Old 08-18-2010, 07:55 PM
galvatron1911
Neutral
Has anyone tried Beckley Auto Service in Des Moines? My 03 MCS has some clutch / shifting issues. I assume that this may be a costly repair, and I don't want to pay dealer rates. I just moved to Des Moines from the southeast last week. Thanks!

Old 08-19-2010, 05:53 AM
OVREZY
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I've used Beckley for general maintenance - nothing major. They are very professional and seem to do a good business with Minis, BMW, Mercedes etc.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:01 AM
ViperGTS
4th Gear
Madison, Wisconsin has a Mini Dealer right off the beltline. They have been nothing but great to us. I think that's part of opening up a dealership within the past 2 months.

They programmed our new key fob for nothing, fixed our airbag light (covered under warranty still) and gave us a Clubman S to drive while doing everything.

Excellent dealership and way closer than Milwaukee.

Good luck!

Old 08-19-2010, 06:13 AM
galvatron1911
Neutral
Atomic #47, thanks for the reply. Im considering Beckley's or Westside Auto Pros. Do you have any experience with the latter or can you suggest another repair shop? Thanks.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:30 AM
OVREZY
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
sorry, I have not tried Westside - when I bought my current Mini (it had an oil leak) the used car dealer sent me to Ultimate Automotive - they fixed a front main seal and I have not had any problems since.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:43 AM
oldsbear
6th Gear
A new MINI dealership is supposed to open in Des Moines this fall: Willis Auto Campus.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:50 PM
SebastianMINI
1st Gear
Another new dealership is supposed to open in the Quad Cities also -- Patrick MINI in Schaumberg, IL has purchased the domain name Quad Cities MINI and a salesman there told me it would be opening within the year.

D3mON you answered the question I came here to ask. I'm looking at a 2004 and was wondering if there is a good mechanic closer than the dealership since I won't be dealing with warranty issues.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:59 PM
Jaque_Mate
4th Gear
Well, I was at Willis Automotive last wednesday due to my runflat sensor going off and they have the service department up and running for MINI's at their Cadilac building. Very friendly staff. The service manager said they have just started renovating the Hummer building for the dealer, so 6 months out. (Des Moines)

Old 08-30-2010, 09:05 PM
Gil-galad
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaque_Mate
...The service manager said they have just started renovating the Hummer building for the dealer, so 6 months out. (Des Moines)
Yes, I just talked to my local POC last week (a relative of one of the Willis managers). Sounds like they received a bit of sticker shock when they added up the costs of the renovation as dictated by MINI USA. Thus, the later-than-forecast opening being informally advertised.

Old 09-09-2010, 09:37 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Is this true?????

I gotta know, a Mini dealer in the Quad Cities??, this is the first I heard of it! I'm going to need clutch work, is there anyone around the Quad Cities that had their MINI's clutch changed out local, and was happy with it?

Originally Posted by SebastianMINI
Another new dealership is supposed to open in the Quad Cities also -- Patrick MINI in Schaumberg, IL has purchased the domain name Quad Cities MINI and a salesman there told me it would be opening within the year.

D3mON you answered the question I came here to ask. I'm looking at a 2004 and was wondering if there is a good mechanic closer than the dealership since I won't be dealing with warranty issues.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:33 AM
D3m0N
Looks like it is a marketing firm from Patrick MINI out of Chicago that is watching ad sense from google for searches for QuadCities MINI and decided to pre host the site. According to Patrick there is no plans for a QC MINI however the person listed as registering the site is indeed the chairman of the board for Patrick Auto Group.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:13 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
still need a clutch/flywheel install in the Quad Cities

Anybody found someplace to get serious Mini work done around here?

Old 09-15-2010, 11:12 AM
D3m0N
Simpson Motorsports in Iowa City

Old 09-16-2010, 02:59 PM
JPMM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by D3m0N
Simpson Motorsports in Iowa City
Hi, Gave Jim a call ,and they have done 3 or 4 clutch jobs, seems pretty knowledgeable. $1200 for labor, parts extra.Thanks for the heads up Now I'm looking for a good limited slip diff, there was a few for sale here but they they all must have got sold.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:09 PM
ViperGTS
4th Gear
Look around the forums. I believe the Focus LSD will fit our cars and is a lot cheaper than a Quaife.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:29 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ViperGTS
Look around the forums. I believe the Focus LSD will fit our cars and is a lot cheaper than a Quaife.

thanks for the heads up Yes those Quaife's are expensive

Old 07-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Gil-galad
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All:

Received this unsolicited email on our website...thought I'd post it here for completeness. It's not often that the local maintenance shops actively seek MINI Cooper business. You locals may want to check 'em out someday...

-------------------

Dear Friends:

We are getting a lot of new Mini owners visiting our facility of late. I am told the former dealer does not want to provide even maintenance service. Other places are just refusing to service these great little cars. We like them and have a good source for factory parts.

Ace is not looking to take business away from any existing service centers, or dealers. We just want Eastern Iowa Mini's that can't seem to get reasonable service anywhere close.

If you would like to know more about Ace Auto Doctors, please check out our website at www.aceautobett.com. Probably the only independent service facility offering coupons, reviews and appointments even on our Facebook page.

Best Regards
Mark H. Hendricks
Ace Auto Doctors

Mark@aceautobett.com
(563) 355-8511

-----------
ENDQUOTE

Old 07-09-2011, 07:08 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Where are they located?

Originally Posted by Gil-galad
All:

Received this unsolicited email on our website...thought I'd post it here for completeness. It's not often that the local maintenance shops actively seek MINI Cooper business. You locals may want to check 'em out someday...

-------------------

Dear Friends:

We are getting a lot of new Mini owners visiting our facility of late. I am told the former dealer does not want to provide even maintenance service. Other places are just refusing to service these great little cars. We like them and have a good source for factory parts.

Ace is not looking to take business away from any existing service centers, or dealers. We just want Eastern Iowa Mini's that can't seem to get reasonable service anywhere close.

If you would like to know more about Ace Auto Doctors, please check out our website at www.aceautobett.com. Probably the only independent service facility offering coupons, reviews and appointments even on our Facebook page.

Best Regards
Mark H. Hendricks
Ace Auto Doctors
Mark@aceautobett.com
(563) 355-8511

-----------
ENDQUOTE

Old 07-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Smokin' Jo
4th Gear
They are located in Bettendorf, IA.