Eastern Iowa MINIs Eastern Iowa MINI enthusiasts group

Iowa River Views Run - 11/3/07

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 01:49 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Pics Gang, looks like you had a great 1st event. I hope to see many of you at Galena next year too.

Must ask about the gravel road, was that a mistake or by design? I have lived on gravel roads in the past and enjoy them, the MINI can be a blast on gravel too.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:12 PM
D3m0N
Coordinator :: Eastern Iowa MINIs
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gravel was by design (very very short about 1 mile)

Just connected us from one road to another.

Next time I will be sure to make it to Galena and hopefully other Chicago events!!

and hopefully a few of the Chicago MINI's will grace us with a visit!

Old 11-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Gil-galad
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by D3m0N
Gravel was by design (very very short about 1 mile).
Just connected us from one road to another.
...and we motored very sloooow to avoid rock chips on paint and help minimize dust on that very short stretch. We were plodding to the point that a farmer on his tractor actually thought about trying to pass our sweeper.

It was so dry that the dust-minimizing was not as effective as we would have liked, as seen in R56MINIs pics. In the final analysis, many more MINIs than normal enjoyed their bath time on Sunday.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:35 PM
AutoXCooper.com
Banned
Location: Car Nut Since 1987, Owner Since Fall 2005, Vendor Since Fall 2007
I look forward to coming out West for some fun.

We may even have some gravel routes for the some that ASKED for it at Galena next year.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:42 PM
Gil-galad
Well, with a week to assess and digest the fun run we hosted on 11/3, I thought I'd post some observations and lessons learned that we might apply in planning future motoring events. This is all in the spirit of making sure we put on the best quality events for all involved. So, here goes:

- 10:00 am seemed like a good start time but next time I'd recommend separate rendezvous and start times separated by 30 minutes or so (e.g., 9:45 meet; 10:15 wheels rolling). That way, folks can have time to greet each other, ogle each other's MINIs, take care of last minute logistics if needed, and we can still get away at the planned time.

- The short stretch on Waupeton Road after lunch was a fantastic little twisty , but certainly had its rough spots along the shoulder (sorry D3m0N) and, of course, there was that mile of dusty gravel road thrown in. Was it worth it? Would have it been better to double back where the pavement ended? Or should we have skipped it altogether?

- The GMRS radios are most definitely line of sight. The lead MINI lost contact with the sweeper on several occasions in the rougher terrain. If we have multiple radios, we should spread them out among the line so that we can relay messages if necessary. That said, they were a big help in determining when everyone had completed left turns across traffic, etc.

- If we see a slow, lumbering 18-wheeler turning ahead of us onto a good stretch of twisties, would we be better served pulling over and taking a 5-10 minute break to allow the way ahead to clear, or risk it that everyone will have a passing opportunity? In some cases, the former might be better.

- All MINIs need to adhere to the "at least one MINI visible in the rear view mirror at all times" rule. As lead, I know I was too aggressive at times and let things get too spread out. This contributed to the group getting separated right at the end, and we lost out on a quality opportunity to line up and have the whole group bid farewells in Guttenberg.

- One option worth considering for a future event is to start later and integrate the meal gathering at the end--might make for a cleaner closure at the end of the run.

Please reply with your thoughts and suggestions. All in all, things worked out pretty well for our first go. If I were self-grading, I think I'd give our group a "B+." What do ya think?

Old 11-11-2007, 07:24 PM
getting grey
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Gil-galad
Well, with a week to assess and digest the fun run we hosted on 11/3, I thought I'd post some observations and lessons learned that we might apply in planning future motoring events. This is all in the spirit of making sure we put on the best quality events for all involved. So, here goes:

- 10:00 am seemed like a good start time but next time I'd recommend separate rendezvous and start times separated by 30 minutes or so (e.g., 9:45 meet; 10:15 wheels rolling). That way, folks can have time to greet each other, ogle each other's MINIs, take care of last minute logistics if needed, and we can still get away at the planned time.

- The short stretch on Waupeton Road after lunch was a fantastic little twisty , but certainly had its rough spots along the shoulder (sorry D3m0N) and, of course, there was that mile of dusty gravel road thrown in. Was it worth it? Would have it been better to double back where the pavement ended? Or should we have skipped it altogether?

- The GMRS radios are most definitely line of sight. The lead MINI lost contact with the sweeper on several occasions in the rougher terrain. If we have multiple radios, we should spread them out among the line so that we can relay messages if necessary. That said, they were a big help in determining when everyone had completed left turns across traffic, etc.

- If we see a slow, lumbering 18-wheeler turning ahead of us onto a good stretch of twisties, would we be better served pulling over and taking a 5-10 minute break to allow the way ahead to clear, or risk it that everyone will have a passing opportunity? In some cases, the former might be better.

- All MINIs need to adhere to the "at least one MINI visible in the rear view mirror at all times" rule. As lead, I know I was too aggressive at times and let things get too spread out. This contributed to the group getting separated right at the end, and we lost out on a quality opportunity to line up and have the whole group bid farewells in Guttenberg.

- One option worth considering for a future event is to start later and integrate the meal gathering at the end--might make for a cleaner closure at the end of the run.

Please reply with your thoughts and suggestions. All in all, things worked out pretty well for our first go. If I were self-grading, I think I'd give our group a "B+." What do ya think?
We must of had a better time than you. I would have to give the group an "A"
10:00 AM is a great start time and hanging out for a while waiting for a few more to show up was a good way to get aquainted. Many of the holiday dinners that we go to each year have two starting times -drinks at 7 dinner at 8- some how those are the ones that never serve dinner on time.
We were warned about the road conditions - From my place in line it looked like we all love to wash our cars and now had good reason to. I do feel bad that D3mON not only bent a rim but somehow got much more dirt on his car than the rest of us (he must be more enthusiastic than the rest of us).
Sharing cell phone numbers might help us stay in touch when we seem to have lost the goup.
Pulling off to avoid a hazard will always be an option but hard call to make.

Jan and I really had a wonderful time meeting each of you and snooping around your cars. Eastern Iowa Minis seems to be off to a great start.
We look forward to getting together again soon.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:03 PM
Gil-galad
Originally Posted by getting grey
We must of had a better time than you. I would have to give the group an "A"
Thanks for the grade, and glad you feel that way!

I did, in fact, have a super day...was in "hog heaven" (now that I'm a native, I can say that with pun intended ). Even so, always looking for ways to make things better...

Old 11-12-2007, 05:38 AM
R56MINICooper
4th Gear
I think the event went off pretty well.

I do have to say that I had a heck of a drive on the way from Guttenberg to Dubuque on the return trip home. I think Maria and Mike might have wondered where we were going at times, but the roads from Guttenbeg back down to Dubuque are full of down hill twistys that for the next event if heading north we will definitely want to look at.

overall I had a great time and I think Lisa did too.

Hopefully Brian was able to get his poor wheel fixed.

And here is a very short clip of our leaving out spots at Clinton I should have recorded more but didn't bring an actual video cam so this is it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUm7dIUBFhU

Next time Ill have to bring the real thing.

Last edited by R56MINICooper; 11-12-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:35 PM
D3m0N
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That was a great little video I am going to by spring buy myself a real mount and video camera. The ride was great the bent rim happens not the end of the world just going to buy a new one (134 + Shipping) and 4 new summer only tires for next year.

Dont know why my car attracted the dirt so much I felt a bit like PigPen!!

Hope to see you all soon FYI there has been some talk via e-mail about a december meet and greet in Iowa City\ Coralville. So keep you calendars open!

Old 11-12-2007, 07:27 PM
deanman
5th Gear
I would give the EIM event an A-, just because there must be something that could be improved, although I can’t think of it, offhand.

The meet-up time was perfect, although an earlier time, with a late breakfast gathering would be fun, too.

The route was fantastic! It was scenic, fun, and made for MINIs. That stretch right out of Balltown was super fun!!

All the people were great. It was fun to talk during lunch. The lunch location was very cool. I think out-of-the-ordinary suites MINI people best.

I liked how there was radio contact (most of the time) so we had a hint about what was coming next.

I really liked the stops. It’s great fun to be a part of a MINI caravan pulling into a place together.

I can’t think of anything other than the gravel, that I didn’t like. I don’t mind getting Leo dusty, but it was such slow going that we held up slow moving farm implements!

It was a great event and I want to end on something positive, so I just want to thank you for a very fun time. Everything was top-notch.

Last edited by deanman; 11-12-2007 at 07:29 PM.