Dynamic MiNi Collective (Arizona) The forum of the Dynamic MiNi Collective. Visit the club site at www.dynamicminicollective.org

Sep. 17th Mingus Mountain Sprint!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 03:08 AM
VtwinPower
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sep. 17th Mingus Mountain Sprint!

I'm getting a meet together on the 17th of September in Wickenburg, Arizona at the Denny's on route 89. If anyone wants to join me along with a bunch of others on a sprint from 89-89a-I-17 through the Mingus Mountains. I won't have a cell phone but I will be able to be contacted via email or here (preferably email). Email adress: VtwinPower01@gmail.com.

Huge assortment of cars ranging from gti's, genesis',wrx/sti's,135/335's. Oh and maybe some bikes. Everyone is invited. I will warn you guys though, most of the people who will show are my high school friends. They are all given their cars and don't know squat about them. So don't expect an intellectual conversation unless your speaking with me.

I have never personally driven this route but have been told it's where a lot of new cars are tested for their handling abilities. According to the few I've spoken to, it's around 30 miles of switchbacks going up and down the Mingus Mountains. 89 turns into 89a and runs from Wickenburg up through Prescott and through Jerome to top it off. According to the map you can just head south before Jerome and catch the 17 or continue NE for a couple miles to another segment of twisties.

Hope to see some people show up!

Old 08-23-2011, 07:12 AM
danjmcs
Coordinator :: Dynamic MiNi Collective
Cool! Thanks for the invite! Will see if we can get some interest!

And yeah, we do a run to/through the Jerome area, up Mingus Mountain, at least a couple times each year, so very familiar with the road and area. I've been up that road many times on the bike as well.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:45 AM
VtwinPower
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by danjmcs
Cool! Thanks for the invite! Will see if we can get some interest!

And yeah, we do a run to/through the Jerome area, up Mingus Mountain, at least a couple times each year, so very familiar with the road and area. I've been up that road many times on the bike as well.
I thought I had just found the gold mine.. aw shucks. Well I'd definitely be looking forward to have some fellow nammers get together for this! I saw on the calendar that there's a car show at the pavilions, count me in for this! Is there only a certain amount of people allowed? Certain type of cars allowed? Are these roads as awesome as people say?

Old 08-25-2011, 12:16 AM
danjmcs
Originally Posted by VtwinPower
I thought I had just found the gold mine.. aw shucks. Well I'd definitely be looking forward to have some fellow nammers get together for this! I saw on the calendar that there's a car show at the pavilions, count me in for this! Is there only a certain amount of people allowed? Certain type of cars allowed? Are these roads as awesome as people say?
Hehe, with all the car clubs in AZ, and especially a Mini club thats going on 7+ years now, it's rare to find a road we haven't had a run on or through or pre-ran for a future run.

Pavilions car show is totally open to the public, no limit on attendance, just a big parking lot. It is well organized and has set areas that are marked on what types of cars are allowed to park and where. So you'll see the Minis always are in the same area, 50-60s hot rods, Fords, Chevys, etc... a number of designated areas.

It's one of the nations longest running weekly car events, we just happen to pick the 3rd Saturday as the week we would go each month so it was a regular social event. But there are others out there on the other weekends fairly regularly too, the 3rd Sat is just when the largest contingent usually gathers.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:07 AM
Pflashinaz
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it's a fun and exciting drive your looking for, by all means stay on US-93 out of Wickenburg for another 44 miles past the AZ-89N turnoff to AZ-97.

It's not called the "Twelve Miles of Terror" for nothing!

You can always wiggle around on AZ-96 to rejoin AZ-89 at Kirkland Junction, then on to Prescott.

http://patsminiphotos.shutterfly.com...v8-23-2003/439

http://patsminiphotos.shutterfly.com...v8-23-2003/537

Old 08-27-2011, 01:26 AM
danjmcs
Good call on that Pat! Definitely a fun section of road... the section coming back out of Bagdad and all around that Skull Valley area is a good time!

Old 09-02-2011, 12:26 AM
VtwinPower
3rd Gear
hmm. Well I might just hit both during that same weekend. I'll definitely be there with a couple of my friends. Anyone want to meet up in Wickenburg around early morning or afternoon on the 17th? Possibly a couple gti's, sti's/wrx & evos will be riding out with me. I just have to finalize a time that fits everyones schedule. I haven't driven anything over 35 mph in the last 8 months. Hope I still know remember how to drive!

Old 09-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Cavalier Cooper
3rd Gear
Just did the drive up 89 to Prescott yesterday, great drive. I'll be out of town for this one, though.

Old 09-04-2011, 02:16 PM
VtwinPower
3rd Gear
Shoot that's too bad. I was hoping we would get our EB R53's mixed up! How long would you say it takes?

Old 09-15-2011, 08:06 PM
DRIVEN1
1st Gear
I am in for an early morning run on Saturday. I was trying to plan one of my own anyway. Are you going for sure? If yes, let me know the details. I think I can get one or two more R53's.