ATI Super Damper for R53

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 08:32 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
ATI Super Damper for R53

It's been awhile since we discussed the crank pulley failures on the R53 MINI Cooper S, and since I see them on an almost weekly basis I thought I'd bring it up again. We have been replacing them all with the ATI Super Damper and found it to be the best replacement for many reasons. First off the quality is superior to any other available, the fit is perfect, and dampening is even improved. On my own personal car I even noticed it to be smoother cruising down the highway. And of course we've been using it on our race car without failure, so we know it can take abuse.

And we do still offer it in our WMW exclusive 2% overdrive.

Please post any questions you have, or if you have one please post your thoughts.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 02-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Crey23
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the issue particular to the R53? R52 same issue a presume?

What are the effect of non-dampening cranks? any potential to damage other parts connected to the belt (ie alternator, oil pump, etc.?

Thanks!

Old 02-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Yoda Mini
3rd Gear
I'm a newb here (just bought my R53 last month). What are the signs of the crank pulley beginning to fail? Any certain sounds?

Old 02-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Yoda Mini
3rd Gear
well I found this thread which listed a few things to look/listen for.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...y-failure.html

Old 02-23-2012, 05:55 PM
DJDUPONT
2nd Gear
Actually just picked one up last week from WMW and had it installed yesterday.

Im so glad i choose this path over a light weight crank pulley. Many people are running light weight crank pulleys, they might not have an issues and never will but in the long run the bearings will show exessive wear.

This is a 10000000x better replacment then an OEM crank pulley which will most likely fail again down the road. Theres another reason why i choose this pulley over the OEM and light weight crank pulleys, but unfortunallty ive swarn to secrecy not to tell anyone!

But trust me if you have to replace your OEM pulley this is the "Way" to go.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:34 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by Crey23
Is the issue particular to the R53? R52 same issue a presume?

What are the effect of non-dampening cranks? any potential to damage other parts connected to the belt (ie alternator, oil pump, etc.?

Thanks!
It's been an issue with all R52 or R53 Cooper S Crank pulleys.

I've taken apart engines that had lightweight crank pulleys and found the bearing to look like they had 500k on them. So I don't use or recommend them.

Originally Posted by Yoda Mini
I'm a newb here (just bought my R53 last month). What are the signs of the crank pulley beginning to fail? Any certain sounds?
Many times they just fail without warning. Sometimes you can get belt noise from them before they fail.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 02-29-2012, 08:19 AM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Way -- Any advantage doing one of these at the same time as a SC pulley?

Old 02-29-2012, 08:55 AM
DJDUPONT
2nd Gear
I'm not Way, but here would be the advanatge's.

1. More boost then just having the 15%, i gained 1lb, i am now at 15.5
2. Your already in there reducing the labor cost.
3. Your OEM harmonic balancer is going to die sooner or later.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:04 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
+1 on the advantages.

Much of the time to swap the pulleys is getting the wheel liner off and back on due to the plastic clips that tend to strip out. Once the belt is already off, it does not take that much time to pull off the stock crankshaft pulley and install the ATI pulley.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:05 PM
TimL
5th Gear
Cool; good to know... though that means having to save up a little bit more before either is done, unfortunately.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:17 PM
scoopy
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do you need a tool when changing this tnx

Old 03-04-2012, 09:56 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes, you do need a tool to replace the crank pulley.
You need a pulley puller such as:
http://www.harborfreight.com/46-piec...set-37824.html
Along with the puller tool I purchased 3 hardened bolts to hold the puller to the pulley and a 12mm bolt to thread into the pulley center hole for the puller tool to push against.
You also need a tool to remove the belt.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:33 AM
TimL
5th Gear
I'm sure this has been asked/answered many times elsewhere, but....

If the net result is equivalent, what would be the relative advantages/disadvantages of running:

a) +2% ATI crank pulley in combination with -15% SC pulley

vs.

b) "0%" ATI crank pulley in combination with a -17% SC pulley

Last edited by TimL; 03-07-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:41 AM
Crey23
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TimL
I'm sure this has been asked/answered many times elsewhere, but....

If the net result is equivalent, what would be the relative advantages/disadvantages of running:

a) +2% crank pulley in combination with -15% SC pulley

vs.

b) "0%" crank pulley in combination with a -17% SC pulley
I really cannot see the difference.

But the real question comes in terms of adjustbility. Say you dropped a 15% pulley, and you want more. instead of buying a new pulley and going through the pain of replacing it, you can simply change the crank with +2% and you end up with a 17% pulley net with a much simpler install (and without the need of specialized tools either).

From what I've read if you auto cross or track your car a 19% reduction and even a 17% reduction might over exert your car. So if you decide to put a 17% Net combination for street, and change it back to a 15% by swapping the crank you have that flexibility ...again without going through the hassle of swapping SC pulleys.

But for daily driving, there is really no difference. I hope that helps.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:52 AM
DJDUPONT
2nd Gear
Also even though the ATI says its a 0% pulley, its actually a 0.980 or some number like that. So its almost a +1%, Way could give you the exact numbers. Prior to installing the ATI 0% i was almost hitting 15lbs (14.8) of boost with a 15% pulley. Once i added the ATI i am know hitting 15.5. so basically if you have the 15% and the ATI 0% (more like a +1) you end up with a 16% reduction. But the big benefit here is a better damper then OEM (the oem will fail sooner or later).

Old 03-07-2012, 07:11 AM
Cole9953
4th Gear
and they will fail, this is what happened to my OEM, when i took the belt off it fell into three pieces.

Name:  bedec712.jpg
Views: 3014
Size:  41.3 KB
Name:  f30c7a02.jpg
Views: 3174
Size:  37.6 KB

Old 03-07-2012, 07:34 AM
Crey23
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Cole9953
and they will fail, this is what happened to my OEM, when i took the belt off it fell into three pieces.

Cole, are you saying that your dampener fell apart when you changed the belt? Did I get that right...how many miles did you have when that happened?

Old 03-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Cole9953
4th Gear
about 60k miles when this happened. I was able to drive it home after it let go, about 25 miles at 40 miles an hour in limp mode. the rubber that connects the two sides of the pulley broke, but would still grab on itself and not spin unless i gave it two many revs, or turned the ac on. with two many revs/the ac on, the resistance from the accessories would overcome the rubber causing it to spin on itself and go into limp mode.

After i got home i checked it out and saw that the dampener wasn't right, so i took the belt off, and was Able to pull half the pulley of by hand. the rubber was no longer connected to either side of the pulley

Old 03-07-2012, 08:09 AM
TimL
5th Gear
But for daily driving, there is really no difference. I hope that helps.
I think so; thanks! (Though I suppose one difference is an extra $26 to Way for the +2% )

In my specific case, I've got a daily driver that doesn't see any track or auto-x time, so I guess getting to 17% either way should be fine.As they say, six of one, half-dozen of the other....

Man, that old crank pulley looks scary!

Old 03-07-2012, 12:58 PM
TimL
5th Gear
Finally got a chance to do some poking around; looks like ZippyNH has weighed in on this question in a couple of threads, including the following:

Originally Posted by ZippyNH
If you just put a new 17% pulley on, the belt will wear faster than the 15%, so expect more frequent belt replacement... but you will not loose a bit of extra HP (like with the crank reduction pulley) to the alternator running faster (and possibly overcharging you electric system) and your AC compressor will run at the right speed..not faster as with the crank reduction pulley.. running a bit faster...again, using a bit of extra HP....so total power gain in greater with a 17%....less parasitic losses, but you could break even with future savings by getting an new light weight crank pulley/damper, and get slight better throttle response due to it lighter weight....

No clear cut answers....just options to weigh.
Just one man's take, of course, but I haven't yet seen anything to contradict it.

Given the above I'm personally leaning towards sticking w. the "0%"/-17% combo, but thought I'd at least follow up with some pros and cons since I asked the question in the first place.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:28 PM
scoopy
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally got a chance to do some poking around; looks like ZippyNH has weighed in on this question in a couple of threads, including the following:

Just one man's take, of course, but I haven't yet seen anything to contradict it.

Given the above I'm personally leaning towards sticking w. the "0%"/-17% combo, but thought I'd at least follow up with some pros and cons since I asked the question in the first place.
i have the same i ordered 17% pulley package from way an ati damper jcw injectors hopefully will be able to put it in the car soon. post ur feedback when u have done this tnx

Old 03-08-2012, 06:59 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Way -- Any advantage doing one of these at the same time as a SC pulley?
Labor time is less to do them together
The belt will tension a little tighter since it's slightly larger.
It won't fail later like the OEM will.
It's lighter than the OEM

The stock size ATI damper is actually .8% larger than stock, reason is the design of the damper can't be made any smaller due to the internal weight size. Our WMW 2% oversize ATI is 2% larger than a stock damper. Now just remember that is 2% on the crank, that does NOT equal 2% on the supercharger. With the stock size ATI the most boost increase I've seen is .5lbs. With the 2% I expect the most you'll see is 1.5lbs more.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Crey23
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
....with the stock size ATI the most boost increase I've seen is .5lbs. With the 2% I expect the most you'll see is 1.5lbs more.
Way is there a relationship for the laymen that translates psi into WHP? So that 1.5 psi gain would translate into what WHP?

In terms of wear and Tear....how much more does that 2% decrease puts on the engine as a system?

Thanks!!!

Old 03-08-2012, 07:53 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Way is there a relationship for the laymen that translates psi into WHP? So that 1.5 psi gain would translate into what WHP?

In terms of wear and Tear....how much more does that 2% decrease puts on the engine as a system?

Thanks!!!
There are too many variables to do that like head, injector, exhaust, tuning, cam, intercooler and so on.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:53 AM
TimL
5th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
The stock size ATI damper is actually .8% larger than stock, reason is the design of the damper can't be made any smaller due to the internal weight size. Our WMW 2% oversize ATI is 2% larger than a stock damper. Now just remember that is 2% on the crank, that does NOT equal 2% on the supercharger. With the stock size ATI the most boost increase I've seen is .5lbs. With the 2% I expect the most you'll see is 1.5lbs more.
Thanks, Way!

I guess I'm still confused as to the relative advantages/disadvantages of 0%/17% vs. 2%/15%; for a daily driver (automatic) which combo would you recommend?

Quick Reply: ATI Super Damper for R53