ALTA Tensioner Stop... not just a cable...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 12:00 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALTA Tensioner Stop... not just a cable...

ALTA's NEW R53 Tensioner Stop!

Introducing the ALTA Tensioner Stop! While the idea of this part is not new, our execution of it is. This unique design allows the end user to install the part faster than other designs, and function the same with ZERO chance of failing.

Why do you need an ALTA Tensioner Stop? At some point in your cars life, the serpentine belt that allows the crank pulley to drive the Supercharger and AC, will fail. When it fails, there is a failsafe built into the OEM tensioner mechanism to keep the tensioner from destroying other parts, but the failsafe fails! When this happens, the 3 parts that get destroyed can cost $300 in parts and not to mention the labor to replace them. This is where a tensioner stop comes into play. It a failsafe for a failsafe!

The ALTA Tensioner Stop essentially hooks around both ends of Tensioner dampener and limits the travel of tensioner arm. We have designed it to limit the travel of the tensioner to the same point as the OEM tensioner stop. This allows for normal travel of the tensioner up to the point at which the OEM tenionser stop fails.

Some designs require you to remove the OEM tensioner assembly from the car (jacking up the motor is necessary) and completely unbolt the tensioner dampener to install. The ALTA Tensioner Stop still needs the motor slightly jacked up, but allows the Tensioner assembly to be left in the vehicle and only the loosening of one bolt is needed for installation. This saves about 30 minutes of shop labor to install it.

In our testing of the ALTA tensioner stop, we had gone through a few designs one of which was a version using a cable with crimped on ends. We ended up not using this as of the 3 prototypes we had crimped (proper crimping machine) one of them failed on our fixture! Even though the ends are rated for more than enough to hold the tensioner, the varience in how they are crimped caused a failure. This led us to the design you see here. With this design there is no way the tesnioner/spring will overcome the tensile strength of the Stainless Steel strap.

Make sure to check out Video we made showing how it works, and showing how the OEM one doesn’t work!

Anyway, we told you guys and gals we had a few R53 things up our sleeves, and this is one of 3! Be on the look out!

This can also be found on our site HERE!!

Last edited by ALTA2; 10-13-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:03 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Lots of looking not talking!

Old 10-09-2008, 01:21 PM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How well is this going to stay on since the top is just sitting on the strut?
That is my only question that I can foresee about this product...

Old 10-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Very nice.

Is there any annoying rattling with this design?

Old 10-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Poppa Bear
4th Gear
OK, I'll throw my pink little body under this truck!!

Initial impressions wasn't too good but then I got to looking at ya'll's site and saw how the unbolted end was lined up with the strut. I've gotta say that this is an elegant design: simple and effective. Is it truly necessary to lift the engine for installation, though? Also, what is the construction material?

I have a DT stop because I've suffered the devastation of a failed tensioner retainer arm and am constantly advising folks to get ANY kind of stop whilst doing a pulley install to avoid the costs involved in towing, replacing the crank pulley, the complete tensioner assembly and another S-belt. I picked the DT over the Minspeed just because I didn't think the upper bolt on their design would be secure enough to hold the tensioner arm retention arm in place but also be loose enough to allow the MinSpeed stop to slip with belt stretch. However, both the DT and Minspeed products require both upper and lower bolts to be removed for installation, whereas, your's only requires one bolt to be removed. Here's an example of laziness being the deal breaker. If I ever have my engine lifted, I'll be replacing my DT for the Alta.

Also, there is the bling factor of another bit of Alta engraving on a part.

Cheers!!

Old 10-09-2008, 01:46 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Thanks for posting that up ALTA2! Appreciate it!

Old 10-09-2008, 01:50 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I too have the DT stop, but might run both , I really like the "belt stretch indicator". As for lifting the engine - I don't think it's necessary. I've replaced the whole tensioner as well as installed the DT stop without lifting the engine.

Nice product - good job.

Nik

Old 10-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by ALTA2
Lots of looking not talking!
It's like a strip club. Sometimes words are not necessary.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:55 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by PARTSMAN
Very nice.

Not that has been reported in beta testing, or in modellling here.

Thanks for asking and a good question!

Old 10-09-2008, 02:54 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by Poppa Bear
OK, I'll throw my pink little body under this truck!!

Initial impressions wasn't too good but then I got to looking at ya'll's site and saw how the unbolted end was lined up with the strut. I've gotta say that this is an elegant design: simple and effective. Is it truly necessary to lift the engine for installation, though? Also, what is the construction material?

I have a DT stop because I've suffered the devastation of a failed tensioner retainer arm and am constantly advising folks to get ANY kind of stop whilst doing a pulley install to avoid the costs involved in towing, replacing the crank pulley, the complete tensioner assembly and another S-belt. I picked the DT over the Minspeed just because I didn't think the upper bolt on their design would be secure enough to hold the tensioner arm retention arm in place but also be loose enough to allow the MinSpeed stop to slip with belt stretch. However, both the DT and Minspeed products require both upper and lower bolts to be removed for installation, whereas, your's only requires one bolt to be removed. Here's an example of laziness being the deal breaker. If I ever have my engine lifted, I'll be replacing my DT for the Alta.

Also, there is the bling factor of another bit of Alta engraving on a part.

Cheers!!
Thanks for the nice words! Ya we dont expect people to go tossing one for the other, but we do hope this offers a good alternative so an already existing product.

Originally Posted by xsmini
I too have the DT stop, but might run both , I really like the "belt stretch indicator". As for lifting the engine - I don't think it's necessary. I've replaced the whole tensioner as well as installed the DT stop without lifting the engine.

Nice product - good job.

Nik
Awesome! The indicator just comes natural to how the part was made. Glad you like that!

Originally Posted by ChrisMCS04
How well is this going to stay on since the top is just sitting on the strut?
That is my only question that I can foresee about this product...
It gets tightened down on the one side (using the OEM bolt) and then rests on the other. So in general its pretty tight.

Originally Posted by PARTSMAN
Very nice.

The part is actually sprung just slightly onto the shock body. Meaning when you snug the bolt down it will touch is just slightly on the body.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:43 AM
ChrisMCS04
Peace Keeper
Thanks Jeff

Old 10-10-2008, 09:56 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
what is the limit of belt stretch. ive been going by the eyelet on the metal piece going through the spring. mine always seems to show one hole when the belt is new and then disappears after a month or 2

Old 10-10-2008, 03:09 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Ya on a proper setup belt, or at least one that is not too stretched, you don't quite see the hole. But from there is where its hard to see where the belt is stretched to as there is no real mark on the OEM strap. But hey that is a good reason for our new part!

Old 10-11-2008, 12:25 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
ahhh....i had in my head your supposed to see the hole so i kept changing mine every time it went in...so i was changing mine every 5-6 months...lol

is it common for the sides of the belt to fray alil?

any deals for NAM members? i def wanna get one.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:27 AM
Bigshot
6th Gear
Nice product.....very similiar to the Minspeed one.

A frayed belt indicates a misaligned pulley or debris stuck in a pulley. Get it checked out asap.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:43 PM
ALTA2
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by Bigshot
Nice product.....very similiar to the Minspeed one.

A frayed belt indicates a misaligned pulley or debris stuck in a pulley. Get it checked out asap.
Thanks!

Guys we did make a little boo-boo! When making the part, we came up with the marks to show you where the belt is stretched too, but the marks line up with a stationary part of the shock! OOPS! I was so excited when doing this that the marks got put in the wrong place! So this will be adjusted in the future runs. Luckily this was totally secondary feature of the part and not important to how it functions.

Sorry for the inconvenience! We have gotten such good response from this new part that with every SC pulley purchased, we will be more than happy to pass along a 10%-ish off discount.

2 more products to release in the next couple of months, be on the look out!

Old 02-12-2009, 03:46 PM
sideburns
1st Gear
Jeff: I just ordered the R53 Tensioner Stop and the directions that came with it (3 pages) instruct you to lift the engine. This is a many step process and time consuming. I installed the Stop in a much easier way. Similar to changing the belt - take off passenger side wheel, remove fender well and the bolt you need to loosen is "staring you in the face". You just need right wrench/rachet to get it off. Quite simple!! You probably need to modify the instructions mailed with this part. By the way, the part looks great and I'm sure will work as intented. Keith

Old 02-12-2009, 07:54 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by sideburns
Jeff: I just ordered the R53 Tensioner Stop and the directions that came with it (3 pages) instruct you to lift the engine. This is a many step process and time consuming. I installed the Stop in a much easier way. Similar to changing the belt - take off passenger side wheel, remove fender well and the bolt you need to loosen is "staring you in the face". You just need right wrench/rachet to get it off. Quite simple!! You probably need to modify the instructions mailed with this part. By the way, the part looks great and I'm sure will work as intented. Keith
I am sure Jeff will check that out! THANK YOU for the feedback and for choosing ALTA Performance!

Old 02-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Mike S
4th Gear
Originally Posted by sideburns
That's exactly what I did as well. I just loosened my bolt, I never even took it off to install the tension stop. Although there is a small rattle at idle - it doesn't bother me though because you don't hear it at all when you drive.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:47 PM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Thanks folks!

Old 02-01-2010, 10:36 AM
PinesMini
2nd Gear
I have bought one a few months ago and It does not stop rattling. What can I do to stop this?

Old 02-01-2010, 10:55 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
We had a club member with one on his car (I hate to speak on his behalf, but someone has to bring it up)....it was rattling so bad that he thought his Supercharger was getting ready to go (or his alternator, or A/C compressor!!) Caused him lots of grief, and I'm willing to bet a sleepless night or two. Our local mechanic found the issue....but I think perhaps it needs to be revised/improved. It simply caused grief. Now the DT style stop is installed....no problems.
I have the Detroit Tuned Tensioner (ordered it from a vendor, WayMotorWorks).....no problems....it just works. And the hole on the tensior works fine to know how much the belt has stretched. I hate to pan any vendor who is willing to support this great site, but every company has great products, and a few laggards......
I guess this products does have a place in the market....those who are scared of bolt on the DT stop could pop one of these on....but putting on the DT stop is So easy.......

Below is a thread, just from the past month or two with 2 different people having this problem also!!(Neither one the local guy I spoke of!!).

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...sion-stop.html

Old 02-01-2010, 11:12 AM
ADAMSALTAMINI
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by PinesMini
I have bought one a few months ago and It does not stop rattling. What can I do to stop this?
PM: ALTA_CHRIS

He can help you. Or e-mail him at Chris.Cone@ALTAPerformance.com

Thanks for the purchase and for asking for the help!

Old 02-01-2010, 09:09 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Had the same issue initally. You have to loosen the bolt that holds it a little, then on the complete opposite end make sure the stop gets wedged in a slight gap on the top. Tighten bolt, you are good! No more rattle, fail proof!