Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Thinking of getting a custom made exhaust system, anything I should look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Klasse Act
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of getting a custom made exhaust system, anything I should look out for?

We have a VERY good muffler shop in our area (Dougs Muffler) and they do ALOT of hotrods and such and wondered about going in there and having them fab up something for me. I see that the standard muffler on the 07' MCS is a single, center inlet with the dual outlet. I have the same setup on the Crossfire (its going away next week) and on that car I have a polished stainless steel Magnaflow muffler that sounds great. The part number is 14220 and could be hard to look up but they do make it. I was thinking of getting a 2.5" exhaust and have them use this muffler. I'd also like to know if there's a resonater in the exhaust system already and if so, how many are there because when I checked out the muffler last week when I dropped my deposit I notice alot of "stuff" towards the front of the exhaust system. Any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated

Old 02-27-2007, 10:22 PM
billie_morini
5th Gear
You should look for posts by TonyB. Maybe even contact him. Below is some information from one of his posts. He is heralded a hero by many on NAM for his exhuast prowessnes.

TonyB vbmenu_register("postmenu_1376769", true);
6th Gear

Gallery
Ken, just noticed this thread...

It was a few year ago when I ventured down this path, and I'm remain very glad that I did. At the time, it was a bit intimdating because I wasn't aware of anyone who had done something like this on a MINI. At least no one in the forums...

You can save some money by doing your own, but it's really not a whole lot once you add it all up. What you save a lot of is weight. You can, with the right choice of muffler, get the sound and volume you want, and with the freedom to pick any tip, the desired appearance as well....

My system consists of:

SuperSprint ss center pipe (2.5"), with resonator
10 or so inch ss welded extension to reach the end of the tunnel
2.5" ss band clamp
Borla Turbo ss muffler, with welded hangers (no ss, but should have been)
Ractive ss oval tip to fill valence opening

I've never dyno'd my car, so definitive claims in that regard, but timed runs revealed performance gains. Best of luck to you.

Just saw Rick's video! I don't believe mine to be that loud, but then I've never heard it from the outside before. I've never had any stares or tickets, so it's never been an issuse in that regard....

Old 02-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Klasse Act
4th Gear
Thanks Billie, much appreciated. I was thinking that I really needed a resonater because its a 4 banger but then again its got the turbo, so that changes everything. I don't want it to sound rice, this is Mini, not a Civic so the resonater should take care of that. Speaking of resonaters, some have used the old school cherry bomb for this application, what do you guys think of this The idea I had in mind was a 2.25" system w/ the ss Magnaflow #14220 muffler and some custom tips, round and fluted. I'm not too sure about a 2.5" system due to the size of the motor, don't want to lose torque and gain a little hp you know. Let me know what you guys think, thanks!

Old 03-10-2007, 04:46 PM
spillman
5th Gear
The exhaust that was referenced below was from a supercharged mini. Yours is turbo. With a turbo exhaust you can't go too big. The less exhaust restriction the faster the turbo spools. Which means more area under the hp and torque curve.

You may also pick up a little bit more boost pressure.

I believe the "stuff" you are talking about are catalytic converters. Removal of these are illegal. That being said, they are very restrictive.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:51 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On a turbo car, ive found it sounds better with nothing from the turbo back.

A muffler and resonator just mess up the sound. The turbo itself acts as a sort of muffler.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:47 AM
spillman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by not-so-rednwhitecooper
On a turbo car, ive found it sounds better with nothing from the turbo back.

A muffler and resonator just mess up the sound. The turbo itself acts as a sort of muffler.
Well for most people I am sure that a straight pipe from the turbo back would be a little loud. A nice muffler to keep the noise down and then have an electric cutout would be the way to go. Quiet until you want it to be loud.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:12 AM
rhubbard
4th Gear
With turbo cars, it is generally accepted to go with a 3" exhaust. The problem with the cherry bomb things is the glass packing in them. They will eventually go bad.

We talked at MCM yesterday, and I still think your best bet is to go with something custom. You will save a TON of money because the system is so easy to make, pretty much one straight pipe. PFE is that place I told you about on production drive and they can do a downpipe for you too. If you want to remove the cat, they can do that too.

Old 03-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Klasse Act
4th Gear
Thanks for the info and I'm thinking about the custom system for sure, especially after attending the meet yesterday, it was great to meet people and see the enthusiasm

BTW, that guy Sid, his car is sick

Ryans new R56 is sitting and lookin' good!