Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain OBX Header Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 06:36 AM
jymontoya
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimz68
You may want to read this concrning header wraps.

http://www.centuryperformance.com/heatwraps.asp

Jim
Good read, but I'm weary of the source.

It's also important to note that the majority of us are not building our cars into race cars (or are we? Damnit I gave away the Mini Owner's secret code )... So while header wraps may prove to insulate TOO much on race cars that are constantly at the top of their RPM's and heat range, on a more civil, (if you can call it that) street Mini, header wrap may prove to reduce the under hood temps enough to be beneficial.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:54 AM
Fisher
3rd Gear
This theory could be right.

When I am driving around our valley or our hills and if i stoped the car the header is red to orange.

That is pretty hot.
And if we give on it the header wrap, that will probably rise the temperature of the header steel.

As I know from the school where we are heat the steel for form if you go to high, that the steel bar has a little gone. It start burning and sparkle. There was a lot of sparks......like chrismas tree. :-))))))

If you do this several times, there was no bar at all.

So the theory could be right...i belive that is not happen in few hours, but a few 10.000 miles......

I will give just the heat shield, then i will see the situation under the bonnet.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:49 PM
uscfan
3rd Gear
Anyone bought their OBX header from Sparktec Motorsports? If so, do you have a phone number for their customer service that you can PM me? Thanks!

Old 12-11-2006, 12:54 PM
jymontoya
5th Gear
Originally Posted by uscfan
Anyone bought their OBX header from Sparktec Motorsports? If so, do you have a phone number for their customer service that you can PM me? Thanks!
I was about too, why what's up?

Did you see this page?

http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/contact.html

Looks like they've omitted the phone # on purpose.

Is something wrong?

Old 12-11-2006, 12:58 PM
uscfan
3rd Gear
Yeah, I saw that page and another page with the number omitted as well. It kind of worries me that it seems they omitted their phone number on purpose.

I hope nothing is wrong...but I just put my order in on 12/3 and my order status hasn't been updated since then. It says on the product page that it usually ships in 24 hours. What also is starting to worry me is the fact that it showed up on my Credit Card statement soon after I placed the order, but now its not on my statement any more. Well as long as I'm not being charged I guess that's good...

Old 12-11-2006, 01:02 PM
jymontoya
5th Gear
Yeah, I saw that page and another page with the number omitted as well. It kind of worries me that it seems they omitted their phone number on purpose.

I hope nothing is wrong...but I just put my order in on 12/3 and my order status hasn't been updated since then. It says on the product page that it usually ships in 24 hours. What also is starting to worry me is the fact that it showed up on my Credit Card statement soon after I placed the order, but now its not on my statement any more. Well as long as I'm not being charged I guess that's good...

He's a good guy, I've talked lots via EMAIL with him. Have you emailed him?

Also, on their website, it shows their AIM screen name which you can chat with him too.

I'm sure everything is fine. That first initial charge was just making sure the money was in your account. The same thing happened to me when I bought my wheels from Tire Rack. The charge was there for 12 hours then diappeared, without a sign, then 3 days after I had the wheels, it showed back up.... i think it's a bank verification thing.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:06 PM
uscfan
3rd Gear
Yeah I emailed him a couple days ago. Hopefully I hear back from him soon. I've tried contacting him via AIM, but I haven't seen him online yet. Just want to verify that everything is ok, so that I stop worrying. Plus I want my OBX header so I can put it on my car!

Old 12-11-2006, 01:17 PM
jymontoya
5th Gear
Are you going to use a new high flow cat?

Old 12-11-2006, 01:18 PM
uscfan
3rd Gear
I got a Magnaflow high flow cat that is coming in the mail as we speak. I want to leave the stock header and cat in case I ever want to sell the car and bring it back to stock.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:38 PM
uscfan
3rd Gear
I finally got a hold of Sparktec. It turns out that they have the OBX on back order and are awaiting a new shipment of them in about 2 weeks.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:42 AM
jymontoya
5th Gear
I finally got a hold of Sparktec. It turns out that they have the OBX on back order and are awaiting a new shipment of them in about 2 weeks.
::Pats self on back:::

Glad I could help.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:42 AM
markldriskill
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know about any Sparktec troubles, but Helix told me a couple of days ago that they were having trouble getting OBX headers. Just a few minutes ago, the OBX Racing Sports website says that it is under "extreme reconstruction" and due to reopen "in December". I looked for OBX header ads on eBay, and there are some Mini header ads placed on 12/12, so, I guess that's a good sign that OBX is probably okay.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Ralph@Helix
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by markldriskill
I don't know about any Sparktec troubles, but Helix told me a couple of days ago that they were having trouble getting OBX headers. Just a few minutes ago, the OBX Racing Sports website says that it is under "extreme reconstruction" and due to reopen "in December". I looked for OBX header ads on eBay, and there are some Mini header ads placed on 12/12, so, I guess that's a good sign that OBX is probably okay.
Mark, i have tracking information showing that our shipment of headers arrive next week I checked with the ads on ebay also, even they have been out of these headers . Thanks for your patience

Old 12-14-2006, 03:20 PM
markldriskill
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yahoo!!

Thanks, Ralph!!