Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain OBX Header Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 03:08 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd just go ahead and get it . Mostly as everyone said the gains you're going to feel with a header are going to be midrange. I can definatly feel a difference if I try to pull up a hill in 5th gear (Used to only be able to do that in 3rd!). As far as overall speed though, the car doesn't really accelerate any faster. Gains like that come from an Intake/Pulley/Head. Whatever you do to this engine, it's still only 1.6 L, and it has almost NO low end . I think you'd like the mod, and as headers go, it's one of the cheapest out there. I'd see no real point in trying to buy a more expensive header with a high flow cat or something, basically the same (+1-2 hp maybe) and with all the publicity Miltek has been getting with failing cats, i'll stick with the stock cat!

Originally Posted by uscfan
And if anyone else has any more impressions on the OBX header please feel free to comment, I would really appreciate it. Especially if you have had any negative experiences.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:27 PM
uscfan
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all of the advice rusty. I think that the OBX will definitely be my next mod. I am looking for usable power since I don't get a chance to drive fast very often, so this sounds perfect.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:48 PM
6th Gear
Welcome, maybe i'll see ya around at Steves. I feel like I live there now!

Old 11-16-2006, 01:00 AM
markldriskill
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As to the ECU tune, you might consider "Fireballing" the car rather than GIAC, since you are in So Cal. Call them: 310-921-6000

Old 11-16-2006, 07:28 AM
uscfan
3rd Gear
Have you had your car Fireballed? What was your impression?

Old 11-16-2006, 12:30 PM
batrugger
5th Gear
I got mine done at VF Engineering. They do free reflashes too. Eurosport doesn't install GIAC for the MINI. Also Virtual World Parts in Temecula is another great shop to go to. He did the reflash on my Jetta GLI when I put in a bigger turbo and he bent over backwards to help me out with that one since it was a new file from GIAC.

Does anyone have any experience getting GIAC flashes in SoCal? I did a search at GIAC USA and got the following dealers for Mini's. Are one of these places the place you went to? If not, where would you recommend to get it done?

OC:
VF Engineering
Euro Sport Accessories, Inc
GMG

San Diego County:
AJ USA
All German Auto
Group 5 Motorsport

LA County:
Torque Factory
Weilinger Motoring Group
Wicked Motorsports

Too bad I don't live on the East Coast or I would go to Helix.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:36 PM
batrugger
5th Gear
Old 11-16-2006, 12:40 PM
uscfan
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
Welcome, maybe i'll see ya around at Steves. I feel like I live there now!
I was just at Steve's last Saturday, and I'm sure I'll be going back there often As soon as I can save up enough for some more mods that is...

Old 11-16-2006, 12:41 PM
uscfan
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by batrugger
I got mine done at VF Engineering. They do free reflashes too. Eurosport doesn't install GIAC for the MINI. Also Virtual World Parts in Temecula is another great shop to go to. He did the reflash on my Jetta GLI when I put in a bigger turbo and he bent over backwards to help me out with that one since it was a new file from GIAC.
How do you like your GIAC flash? How noticeable were the improvements? Any problems/complaints?

Old 11-16-2006, 12:47 PM
batrugger
5th Gear
I love it. It doesn't it slam me back in the seat like it did with my Dub, but it just made the car run smoother. I also got a torque increase over similarly modded MINI's as measured on the Dyno. This dyno was pre header. It is actually my wifes. You can see the car here:

http://www.motoringunderground.com/f...ead.php?t=2872

Old 11-16-2006, 01:25 PM
uscfan
3rd Gear
I love it. It doesn't it slam me back in the seat like it did with my Dub, but it just made the car run smoother. I also got a torque increase over similarly modded MINI's as measured on the Dyno. This dyno was pre header. It is actually my wifes. You can see the car here:

Looks like I'll be going to VF Engineering as soon as I have the cash. And nice Mini

Old 11-16-2006, 01:44 PM
uscfan
3rd Gear
Hey batrugger, I see you have a TSW engine damper. How do you like it?

Old 11-16-2006, 02:00 PM
batrugger
5th Gear
Looks like I'll be going to VF Engineering as soon as I have the cash. And nice Mini
If you make an appt, make to ask to speak to the person who does the flashes. They stopped doing flashes and refer everyone to Eurosport. If you talk to him directly and tell him it is for a MINI, they will do it.

The TSW engine damper really helps clean up the lurch between shifts. It was a breeze to install because of the brackets that they provide, but it is 110 shipped and it is the same damper that helix and LOTF sells for less without the bracket

Old 11-16-2006, 02:05 PM
uscfan
3rd Gear
Easy install means extremely complicated and frustrating install for someone with no mechanical skills of any kind like me!

Old 11-16-2006, 10:15 PM
markldriskill
5th Gear
Admittedly, have not -- yet.

Will not until after I get MY 4% Alta crank pulley and OBX header (as soon as I figure out what to do about the cat!!

Have not done ANY ECU tune yet.

Decided on Fireballed because local (I live in Long Beach) and, while GIAC WOULD have been my choice until Fireballed came along, my list of mods will not fall into the GIAC maps that are currently available.

It is my understanding that Fireballed can and does tune to AF ratios rather than using a fixed set of maps that may or may not fit your mod list. It seems that with GIAC if your list happens to fit, it is a good deal; and customers who have been in that situation seem to be very happy -- from what I have read (A LOT) on NAM.

ONLY reason I got off of GIAC and "on" to Fireballed is that my car doesn't fit either of the available GIAC maps, and the few who have been Fireballed about whom I have read are satisfied -- reporting significant gains.

One who has recently had Fireballed done is Mariokart.

Old 11-17-2006, 10:43 AM
uscfan
3rd Gear
Sounds interesting...I'll have to give Fireballed a call before deciding on GIAC once I'm ready for a ECU tune. Once you get yours though, make sure to post your impressions of it!

Old 11-18-2006, 06:43 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear

TWO nice threads you shared - nice dyno numbers! and header comments.

I agree with your sentiments on both!

Old 11-19-2006, 08:24 AM
BFG9000
5th Gear
Helix lists the OBX with a used factory cat already welded on for $300; perfect for DIY since it bolts right up.

And you could always mail them your ECU to get the GIAC flash with free upgrades too.

Old 11-19-2006, 01:19 PM
uscfan
3rd Gear
The OBX Header with stock cat is listed for $400 at Helix. $300 is for the OBX Header w/ cat exchange. Does cat exchange mean I have to mail in my stock cat? If not, what does that mean?

Old 11-19-2006, 08:33 PM
BFG9000
5th Gear
Yes I read it to mean just that here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=62343 so he probably doesn't want you to mail in your kitty cat.
Note the OBX from Helix is also modified to reduce fitment issues.

Old 11-19-2006, 08:52 PM
jimz68
6th Gear
Uhh.. What did you mean by "A quick ECU reset before I headed out"?
Jim

Old 11-19-2006, 09:12 PM
dragonwang
3rd Gear
It seems like your questions have been answered, but specifically to answer your question #3, i paid $20 to have the shop cut off the stock cat, weld it on to my minimania header, and install on the car. the shop is located in rosemead if you're interested.

For my next mod I think I want to get an OBX header. I just have a couple questions before I go out and buy one:

1. I was wondering if I can retain the use of the stock header if I cut off the cat and weld it onto the OBX header? I want to know in case I ever have to go back to stock.

2 Is it street legal to run the OBX header in California? I know it is supposed to be CARB exempt, but that does not mean street legal right?

3 What is a reasonable price (excluding the cost of the header) to cut the stock cat from the stock header, weld it onto the obx, and install on my car? I have been quoted at $300 total in labor to get it installed. Is that reasonable?

4. What kind of performance gains can I expect (I have 15%, HAI, One-Ball)? Do you need to have head, cam, etc work done to really see a difference, or will it be noticeable with what I have already done?

5 I know there is tons of information available if I search, but for those of you that have had your OBX header on for a while, what are your impressions thus far? Have they changed at all? Have you had any problems since you first put it on?

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-20-2006, 03:14 AM
markldriskill
5th Gear
Wow! Thanks!

Originally Posted by BFG9000
Helix lists the OBX with a used factory cat already welded on for $300; perfect for DIY since it bolts right up.

And you could always mail them your ECU to get the GIAC flash with free upgrades too.
The last time I looked at Helix site, that was not there. Woo-hoo. This is perfect. In addition to the awesome price, and solving my problem of what to do about a cat, I get the great support offered by Eric thrown in too!!

IMO, beats the heck out of the e-Bay OBX route.

Thank YOU!!

Old 11-20-2006, 07:56 AM
uscfan
3rd Gear
I am definitely interested. What is the name of the shop? And were you satisfied with the quality of their work?

Originally Posted by dragonwang
It seems like your questions have been answered, but specifically to answer your question #3, i paid $20 to have the shop cut off the stock cat, weld it on to my minimania header, and install on the car. the shop is located in rosemead if you're interested.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:17 AM
uscfan
3rd Gear
From what I read in the link it seems as if he would want me to mail in my stock header and cat in exchange for an OBX header with my stock cat welded on for $300, hence the "cat exchange". Maybe I will have to just call Helix to get clarification. If he doesn't need me to mail anything in, I would be all over this offer, but if he does need me to I guess I'll have to go down the ebay route.

Originally Posted by BFG9000
Yes I read it to mean just that here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=62343 so he probably doesn't want you to mail in your kitty cat.
Note the OBX from Helix is also modified to reduce fitment issues.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain OBX Header Questions