Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Pistons/Rods

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 11:19 AM
Johan
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pistons/Rods

Has anyone done this?? If so where did you get your parts from?

I know that Endyn makes the roller wave piston and I think Wiseco makes pistons too. Should the compression stay the same? I think the wiseco are 8.5:1 ratio, not sure about the roller waves. Anyone else makeing good pistons?

Crower is the only company I have found that are making rods, they seem pretty solid, just curious if there are any other options out there. Thanks -- Johan

Old 09-23-2006, 11:40 AM
herbie hind
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i heard there's a stroker kit in the making. the stock pistons are supposed to be pretty awsome though.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:43 AM
gmcdonnell
4th Gear
I believe Endyn also has improved rods that are made to their specification. The rods may not be on the web site, but if you call them at 817-924-9334 they'll be able to tell you one way or another.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:50 AM
Johan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gmcdonnell
I believe Endyn also has improved rods that are made to their specification. The rods may not be on the web site, but if you call them at 817-924-9334 they'll be able to tell you one way or another.
Thanks but Endyn actually get's there rods from Crower -- Johan

Old 09-23-2006, 02:28 PM
supercoopers
3rd Gear
The Endyn Rollerwave pistons are bespoke Wieseco pistons, built to Larry's own spec. Just so you know

I'm going to run them in my car along with the Crower rods. It's a pretty good setup for the money. Remember, Wieseco cut their teeth so to speak in bike engine pistons and make a very lighweight yet strong piston for small displacement engines

There's also JE, CP, Arias, Omega (UK) to name a few other companies that do pistons off the shelf for the MINI.

Cheers,

Henry

Old 09-23-2006, 04:21 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by supercoopers
The Endyn Rollerwave pistons are bespoke Wieseco pistons, built to Larry's own spec. Just so you know

I'm going to run them in my car along with the Crower rods. It's a pretty good setup for the money. Remember, Wieseco cut their teeth so to speak in bike engine pistons and make a very lighweight yet strong piston for small displacement engines

There's also JE, CP, Arias, Omega (UK) to name a few other companies that do pistons off the shelf for the MINI.

Cheers,

Henry
I'd stick with what Endyn put together per his spec. myself. I believe it took 3 tries to get the pistons right, jlm knows the details.
Per the stroker rumor, have you looked at the bottom end? don't think it's going to happen.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:30 PM
Haggardsk8er
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by norm03s
I'd stick with what Endyn put together per his spec. myself. I believe it took 3 tries to get the pistons right, jlm knows the details.
Per the stroker rumor, have you looked at the bottom end? don't think it's going to happen.

You need to check your sources on the stoker and maybe check your bottom end and than your search option

Old 10-28-2007, 02:12 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Why do rods anyway? Are you running a 100+ shot? Are you going to do a big turbo conversion? Reason I ask, is the stock rods are forged....so I am not sure what you gain....I run the stock rods in my car. Haven't had any problems and I am putting 400 to the wheels.....The weak link in the bottom end is the ring lands anyhoo....I run the Fireballed! pistons which are JEs.

Good luck to ya!

Old 10-28-2007, 02:38 PM
k-huevo
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
One reason would be for a weight reduction in reciprocating mass if the rods were designed so, as in the case of the ARROW rods used by BHS http://www.bavhypersports.com/products/engine/ep8.htm ; granted reduced rod weight has a greater advantage at high rpm but it is still useful in the stock rpm range. Coatings can play a roll in reducing losses via oil adhesion.

More info here http://www.metroplexmini.org/forum/s...hlight=pistons

Old 10-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Johan
Has anyone done this?? If so where did you get your parts from?

I know that Endyn makes the roller wave piston and I think Wiseco makes pistons too. Should the compression stay the same? I think the wiseco are 8.5:1 ratio, not sure about the roller waves. Anyone else makeing good pistons?

Crower is the only company I have found that are making rods, they seem pretty solid, just curious if there are any other options out there. Thanks -- Johan

Do you still not have your car?? Is it still in Socal? Did they tear down the engine only to find you need pistons?

From what I here the CP's are the best. Call Jan for a great price.

Longboard

Old 10-28-2007, 04:32 PM
Johan
5th Gear
LOL, This is an old thread
Funny how NAM follows certain themes for a while then change to the next one. TC, Turbo only, Heads (that one was a while) Intercoolers, Tuning and now Strokers and boring seems to be the theme LOL

I orginally wanted the rods because I was going to throw some nuke at it. I Built the kit and installed everything besides the nozzles, but now I think I'm going to tear it all out and save it for a different project. Stock Rods are fine for what I'm going to use it for now.

I already got a set of custom cut pistons, but thanks for the tip

Last edited by Johan; 10-28-2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Haggardsk8er
5th Gear
[quote=Johan;1829785]LOL, This is an old thread
Funny how NAM follows certain themes for a while then change to the next one. TC, Turbo only, Heads (that one was a while) Intercoolers, Tuning and now Strokers and boring seems to be the theme LOL

You should know by now no thread is an old thread because problems and questions don't go away... :impatient sadly....

It's what keep's us coming back for more and help's add up our post count ... hahah

Old 10-28-2007, 05:16 PM
Haggardsk8er
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Longboard Mini
Do you still not have your car?? Is it still in Socal? Did they tear down the engine only to find you need pistons?

From what I here the CP's are the best. Call Jan for a great price.

Longboard

Dude your the only guy I've seen with the Rotrex SC... What's your take on it? How's it runnin for you? I've talked to Jan about it, what are you boostin' with it and how it your torque curve?

Old 10-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Johan
LOL, This is an old thread

I orginally wanted the rods because I was going to throw some nuke at it. I Built the kit and installed everything besides the nozzles, but now I think I'm going to tear it all out and save it for a different project. Stock Rods are fine for what I'm going to use it for now.

I already got a set of custom cut pistons, but thanks for the tip
So you you do have your car back? What kind of HP did they finally make for you?

If you posted sorry your results already. I haven't been reading much lately. I got my Indian MC running and my focus has moved for now. I took it to the local Sat car meet and was over run by photographers trying to take pics of it. I was shocked.

Longboard

Old 10-30-2007, 10:22 AM
Johan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Longboard Mini
So you you do have your car back? What kind of HP did they finally make for you?

If you posted sorry your results already. I haven't been reading much lately. I got my Indian MC running and my focus has moved for now. I took it to the local Sat car meet and was over run by photographers trying to take pics of it. I was shocked.

Longboard
No, not yet. I think they're still waiting to get their dyno installed. I hope it didn't burn up with all the fires you've had out there.

If I can catch a break I may take a weekend trip to so cal. It would be cool to check out your mini, my sis live just outside of rsm.