Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain DFIC diverter (alt.)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 07:37 AM
JS
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The top of the intake is actually not PS...it's the same satin ceramic paint that I used for the louvers...Wonder how the whole Mini would look in this satin silver?[/quote]

Cool. Come down to South for a visit, and a look see at the H4 for a taste of satin silver. NW studio on 1st floor.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:40 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by JS
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
The top of the intake is actually not PS...it's the same satin ceramic paint that I used for the louvers...Wonder how the whole Mini would look in this satin silver?
Cool. Come down to South for a visit, and a look see at the H4 for a taste of satin silver. NW studio on 1st floor.
Really? I'll do that when I get back to the office...still working out the house...

Old 08-24-2006, 07:42 AM
JS
3rd Gear
Really? I'll do that when I get back to the office...still working out the house...[/quote]

Lucky Dog. Of course if you came in I could find you a work station here.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:05 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wuss!

After some though...I think I rather work with Joel to come up with another design than ruin this perfectly good CF...

Old 08-24-2006, 10:44 AM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll admit I thought cutting up the CF scoop was pretty gutsy, but realistically, if Sid and Joel can come up with a new one, and a template to cut the hood open, we all benefit (especially M7 who gets to market the scoop and diverter) Maybe we could call it the "Really Big Hole" scoop to go with Extreme, Ram and DF?

Old 08-24-2006, 11:59 AM
JS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by gandini
I'll admit I thought cutting up the CF scoop was pretty gutsy, but realistically, if Sid and Joel can come up with a new one, and a template to cut the hood open, we all benefit (especially M7 who gets to market the scoop and diverter) Maybe we could call it the "Really Big Hole" scoop to go with Extreme, Ram and DF?
Going on a limb here, 'cuss I haven't looked at the issues involve, of doing a RBH scoop, since March (when I originally did the DFIC scoop). At that time Peter and I discussed doing this for the DFIC but rejected it in favor of simplicity of installation. Most people wouldn't be willing or able to cut the under hood brace. But, for those that would be, maybe on an individual bases I might be willing and able to help. At this time I couldn't venture an idea of involvement (read cost) till I go thru it once. I don't know if this can be done using a CF Ram Air Scoop while retaining the CF look. Since this is a modification of M7's parts and of such a small scale, I doubt Peter would want to get involved. We talked a little to this issue and we both realize that the cost to make a new mold for a very low run scoop would be prohibitive.
How about this; those who have a DFIC or are going to buy one, PM me with your interest.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:55 PM
pberry51mini
No Fear Gear
Originally Posted by JS
How about this; those who have a DFIC or are going to buy one, PM me with your interest.
I believe I would be interested, I kind of like challenges like that. let me know.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:16 PM
M7
Former Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you all for thinking "outside the box".....

The problem is this, there is eight of you who like to tinker and change
what's there, not a large number in my book. The cost of shaping the original
R&D part, making the mold, and order a large amount of them to keep in stock, on top of the Ram Hood scoop, Extreme Hoodscoop, and DFIC Hoodscoop. Most of you will see the conundrum I'm in, as we have tons of new exciting products being released in the next few month's.

I will give it a think but no promises.

Peter
Team M7
562-608-8123

Old 08-24-2006, 11:54 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If we actually make one we could call it the RBHRAES

Really Big Hole Ram Air Extreme Scoop

Randy
M7 tuning

Old 08-25-2006, 06:29 AM
JS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by M7
Thank you all for thinking "outside the box".....

The problem is this, there is eight of you who like to tinker and change
what's there, not a large number in my book. The cost of shaping the original
R&D part, making the mold, and order a large amount of them to keep in stock, on top of the Ram Hood scoop, Extreme Hoodscoop, and DFIC Hoodscoop. Most of you will see the conundrum I'm in, as we have tons of new exciting products being released in the next few month's.

Peter
Team M7
562-608-8123
Exactly Peter. That is why I wrote posting #56. This would only make sense on an individual custom bases only, by modifing orginal parts.
Joel

Old 08-27-2006, 06:02 PM
JS
3rd Gear
Can the Bg Hole Ram Air Scoop be done?

Just looked at the brace under/in the scoop opening. This should pose no large problem as only an upstanding flange will be removed, thus retaining most of the brace, so the integrity isn't compromised to much.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:19 PM
WorksMiniS
1st Gear
Thinking out loud

I do not have a DFIC on my car but I cannot help but think that the whole setup would benefit form being vented out the back of the hood.

What if you were to have ducting from the back of the intercooler running to a "notched" hood. The bulge in the center of the hood would help with overall volume. This way the intercooler would have no resistance to air flow and it would keep engine bay temperatures under control.

The two cons with this arrangement would be cutting the hood and you would not be able to run a strut brace.

How crazy do you feel this idea is?

Old 09-10-2006, 06:38 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by WorksMiniS
I do not have a DFIC on my car but I cannot help but think that the whole setup would benefit form being vented out the back of the hood.

What if you were to have ducting from the back of the intercooler running to a "notched" hood. The bulge in the center of the hood would help with overall volume. This way the intercooler would have no resistance to air flow and it would keep engine bay temperatures under control.

The two cons with this arrangement would be cutting the hood and you would not be able to run a strut brace.

This works just fine...
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...roject+louvers

Old 09-10-2006, 07:38 PM
bomboasy
4th Gear
This is why I do not like the Alta diverter and made my Split Air Intake. I belive you are familiar with this modification. Just do a search for it and you will find my pictures. I just wish I had DFIC to mess around like you guys are. Donations are welcomed...

Bomboasy

Joel: (warning-- a little knowledge is dangerous, but here goes) I checked out Wikipedia on venturis and they cause low pressure at the constriction, which would be the IC face in this case, but there's already high pressure there as the air is being forced into the IC by the scoop, so there's some opposing forces, but I'd guess the high pressure from the Ram scoop wins out. There might be some turbulence at the right side of the curved surface but again this might just cause a minor eddy at the right side. The alternative of a convex surface worries me, since if it really does channel the air flow it would produce a flow at 90deg to the one coming directly at the IC face, causing some turbulence at the confluence of the two streams. My apologies to the physicists in the audience...

Old 09-10-2006, 08:00 PM
obehave
6th Gear

Not crazy. It's been discussed before.
There's a nice thin spot and no ribbing where the stock IC diverter used to be. Post pics when you're done

Old 09-13-2006, 01:51 PM
HAVNPHUN
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by M7

Peter
Team M7
562-608-8123
If you decide to make this 'really big a** scoop' or whatever you call it, could it be done in a way that it looks a little sleeker? My wife thinks that some of these scoops spoil the lines and give a proboscis monkey look. She's definitely in the form over function camp...

Attached Thumbnails DFIC diverter (alt.)-m7-extreme-hoodscoop.jpg   DFIC diverter (alt.)-proboscis-monkey.jpg  
Old 09-13-2006, 02:00 PM
obehave
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HAVNPHUN
If you decide to make this 'really big a** scoop' or whatever you call it, could it be done in a way that it looks a little sleeker? My wife thinks that some of these scoops spoil the lines and give a proboscis monkey look. She's definitely in the form over function camp...
Funny story, well maybe.

When I was in Elementary school in Florida you weren't allowed to talk in the cafeteria during lunch.
So of course getting your friends to laugh and get them in trouble was the thing to do.

One of my friends pulled out a book he had gotten from the Library and flipped it open to a page with a picture of

Needless to say about 5 of us ended up in the Principals office including the guy that brought the picture.

That was long enough ago that you actually respected/ feared authority

Old 09-16-2006, 06:37 PM
HAVNPHUN
2nd Gear
That was a long time ago, and I already said I was sorry...

Old 09-19-2006, 02:48 PM
Bahamabart
6th Gear

here's another option and strut will still fit.