Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain DFIC diverter (alt.)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 10:41 AM
JS
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gandini
This scoop would fit my diverter *perfectly*. There's quite a lot of metal around the scoop that could be removed without compromising the bonnet. We might have to modify the plastic shroud above the radiator and the associated rubber gasket, but that's easy (although it might interfere with the scoop for the AGS users).
Send me a beta... I think this will be a while in coming. Don't hold your breath. Much work to do.

Joel: (warning-- a little knowledge is dangerous, but here goes) definately true for me.

btw, I noticed that all the M7 scoops have a moulded-in bulge at the top center that interferes with a piece of metal on the bonnet, causing a high spot and places considerable tension on the two top mounting bolts. If you grind/sand it down the scoops fit much better! - Again, I wish I would have seen the first product out of mold, so if there is a problem I could catch it and correct it before it gets to anyone. I guess this is a problem of being across to country from each other.

cheers,
Good luck this weekend and enjoy.
dr. phil look for a PM later.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:05 AM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually Dremeled-out (cutting wheel) that tab on the bonnet, and it does allow the scoop to set more squarely...

Old 08-22-2006, 11:37 AM
JS
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TonyB
I actually Dremeled-out (cutting wheel) that tab on the bonnet, and it does allow the scoop to set more squarely...
For those of us in the rust belt....it might be better to file off a few mm's for the **** on the scoop???

Old 08-22-2006, 12:00 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
I actually did *both* (call me obsessive or dumb) I had Ram Intake #11 from M7 and the mounting bolts pulled out after 10 miles, so I looked for a workaround and noticed the scoop tab interferred with the tab on the bonnet, so I cut it off (but it does expose some metal to rust.) I then realized that the nub on the scoop was unnecessary, so I ground it down with a Dremel (what did we do before Dremels?) and now both my scoops (Ram and DF) fit very snuggly without any pressure on the bolts (which I Loctited just for insurance.)
Conclusion: If you grind down the nub on the scoop you dont need to cut off the metal tab on the bonnet.
cheers,

Old 08-22-2006, 12:05 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
I actually did both also, but the removal of he tab was the clincher. Some matching blue fingernail polish did the trick on the cut edges...

Old 08-22-2006, 12:18 PM
DrPhilGandini
Originally Posted by TonyB
... Some matching blue fingernail polish did the trick on the cut edges...
Ah, the many uses of nail polish! I've been searching for Dark Silver... It substitutes for Loctite also, when without the latter.

Old 08-22-2006, 12:36 PM
JS
3rd Gear
Could ether of you estimate how much you removed from the scoop's tab? I'll forward suggetion, to correct problem in mold, for future parts.
Sorry for any inconvenience to all that have experienced this problem.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:01 PM
DrPhilGandini
I removed the tab until it was no longer there. The tab is in the center top under surface and with dimensions of approximately 3/4" x 5/8" x 1/8" tall. My grinding with a Dremel removed it completely. I'm sorry I don't have a scoop to photograph, as one's on my car and the other at the paint shop.

Phil

Old 08-22-2006, 01:04 PM
JS
3rd Gear
I removed the tab until it was no longer there. The tab is in the center top under surface and with dimensions of approximately 3/4" x 5/8" x 1/8" tall. My grinding with a Dremel removed it completely. I'm sorry I don't have a scoop to photograph, as one's on my car and the other at the paint shop.

Phil
Thanks. The most expedent way may be to have the fabricator fill in the entire tab area.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:24 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
I didn't remove all of the tab on the scoop, but a good portion of it though. With the bonnet tab sectioned-out, having the scoop tab or nub drop into it served a centering function, in addtion to the bolts/holes. I had to elongate a couple of bonnet mounting holes with a rat tail file, but that was no biggie...

The Extreme Scoop is a winner, as seen on the stock and GRS testing I did last Summer, with Dr O's analysis. I feel that it's larger bite radius (sorry, I saw "Jaws" again over the weekend) will serve the DFIC well also...

Old 08-22-2006, 02:09 PM
DrPhilGandini
Originally Posted by JS
Thanks. The most expedent way may be to have the fabricator fill in the entire tab area.
Gee, here's where I need a diagram... The scoop tab is raised and pushes down on the central bonnet (metal) tab, causing the scoop to push up against the two mounting bolts on the sides--hence the pressure that sometimes causes the bolts to break free from the resin. Removing the scoop tab releases this pressure and the scoop sits neatly in the bonnet recess. I like Tony's idea of indexing the metal tab but this is extra work that some might not want to undertake (of course, if you're into modding your MINI, and not prepared to get out the grinder, then... )

Old 08-23-2006, 07:03 AM
JS
3rd Gear
dr. phil,
If you've had the scews pull out of the scoop, talk to Peter @ M7. There was a issue concerning this and I think it has been corrected at the fabricator's.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:24 AM
DrPhilGandini
JS: yes, I believe all new scoops have improved mounting bolt attachment. However, it was my concern with the central tab that led me to conclude it was the source of the pressure that caused the original bolts to break loose. So, removing the scoop tab might be a good idea for those with newer scoops, just to releave any pressure on the mounting bolts. I checked this morning and the bolts are holding just fine with my modifications.

cheers, and thanks for taking this issue up with M7.

Old 08-23-2006, 09:04 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Go ahead...dare me

Old 08-23-2006, 09:11 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Heck, I dare ya!

in fact, I DOUBLE DARE you!

Matt

Takes ya back, doesn't it? I haven't broken out a double dare isnce, like kindy-garden!

Old 08-23-2006, 09:17 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
in fact, I DOUBLE DARE you!

Matt

Takes ya back, doesn't it? I haven't broken out a double dare isnce, like kindy-garden!
You're on I'm sourcing sheet aluminum for the new diverter...

Old 08-23-2006, 09:19 AM
obehave
6th Gear
Triple dog dare you

Old 08-23-2006, 09:26 AM
DrPhilGandini
Geez, that's an extreme cut...
You'd need some way of blending the edge back down, like on the new DF scoop to meet the Al diverter, and you'll have to remove the rubber seal/gasket above the radiator in that area. The problem then becomes engine movement, if the diverter is attached to the engine, due to exaggeration of movement at distance. When closed, the bonnet is "one" with the body work, including the plastic piece above the radiator, so why not attach the diverter to the scoop, or above the radiator, then deal with engine movement through rubber gaskets to the DFIC? I know my engine damper has reduced movement considerably,but it still moves a little, especially back and forth.
But I likee...

Old 08-23-2006, 09:44 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Geez, that's an extreme cut...
Yes...

You'd need some way of blending the edge back down, like on the new DF scoop to meet the Al diverter
No...the line indicated will trim the frontal intake to the height of the diverter surface...But I will need an extended diverter to meet the new opening which will be very visible now...

and you'll have to remove the rubber seal/gasket above the radiator in that area
Yes...

The problem then becomes engine movement, if the diverter is attached to the engine, due to exaggeration of movement at distance. When closed, the bonnet is "one" with the body work, including the plastic piece above the radiator, so why not attach the diverter to the scoop, or above the radiator, then deal with engine movement through rubber gaskets to the DFIC? I know my engine damper has reduced movement considerably,but it still moves a little, especially back and forth.
But I likee...
Should be ok...I have dual engine dampers...

Old 08-23-2006, 09:52 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you need to borrow

my Sawzall?

Matt

Old 08-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JS
dr. phil,
If you've had the sews pull out of the scoop, talk to Peter @ M7. There was a issue concerning this and I think it has been corrected at the fabricator's.
I had a bolt break loose from the CF. The reason was that the diverter plate hit the bolt when closing the bonnet. I epoxied it back in place and bent the diverter out (or to the right) about a 1/8". All good now.

Longboard

Old 08-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
Go ahead...dare me

I had the same idea. I love thinkers with the guts to try their ideas.

Cutting it clean might be hard. CF is a little tough to cut. Once you cut it you can hand sand the edge then get some polyester resin to finish the edge.

Lets see it man!

Longboard

Old 08-24-2006, 07:13 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
After some though...I think I rather work with Joel to come up with another design than ruin this perfectly good CF...

Old 08-24-2006, 07:27 AM
pberry51mini
No Fear Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
After some though...I think I rather work with Joel to come up with another design than ruin this perfectly good CF...
That's a ton smarter. You could sell your CF DFIC scoop to many different people that weren't able to get one.

Hey, I didn't see earlier that you painted the top of the scoop Pure silver - you really are constantly thinking and improving your ride. Someday I'd love to see your ride up close - come on out to the left coast some day!

Old 08-24-2006, 07:32 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by pberry51mini
That's a ton smarter. You could sell your CF DFIC scoop to many different people that weren't able to get one.

Hey, I didn't see earlier that you painted the top of the scoop Pure silver - you really are constantly thinking and improving your ride. Someday I'd love to see your ride up close - come on out to the left coast some day!

I love to do that...maybe on a trailer behind an Escalade

The top of the intake is actually not PS...it's the same satin ceramic paint that I used for the louvers...Wonder how the whole Mini would look in this satin silver?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain DFIC diverter (alt.)