Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Installing an OCC

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 08:29 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I posted 2 diagrams, which remain visible to me, and others I presume. The photograph (not mine, I only draw 3 year old sketches) with the red and yellow Photoshop lines drawn on it show the M7 routing (red) and my second andpreferred routing (yellow).
This thread seems again to be heading the same way the original one did.
Where's the TSA when we need it...?

cheers,

Old 07-12-2006, 08:30 PM
Mr. Pep'r
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottinBend
Thanks O. The picture posted earlier by the Dr. P was of my install. He did the yellow to show the alternative.
No I am not a Doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

ScottinBend, I was just being the messenger and showing you what gandini had drawn up that you could not see. I used your picture for your comparison.

I am learning about this install also and I am in no way saying this way is correct, rather just passing the info along.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:39 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Pepr. I am just now able to see Gandini's drawings.

This post is still on topic.......hehe

Old 07-12-2006, 11:29 PM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by saifa
I agree...I am quite confused myself.

I have an M7 can but it did not include the instructions people are talking about. I was gonna install it as Johan did https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=63316
but I am not sure where the lower line is going. Is the M7 hose the same collapsible hose as the Alta?

Can someone please "tell me" which way I should go? I believe I have counted 4 or 5 possible routing options. Here is my setup, someone guide me. 1 can only, no VGS (saw routing options with VGS), no turbo and I'm not sure what else may be relevant.

Thanks all

Seann
Im with you there, i want to get an Alta catch can and i understand they include directions, but i see lots of different set ups, i think i should just stick to the Alta layout to keep things simple.

Old 07-13-2006, 03:43 AM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok...

Pre PVC - there was always a breather on the valve cover for OHV, vent tube for flathead, there's a vent tube on your 4 stroke lawnmorer - The crank case needs air. In 1 post, can't remember which, a sealed soultion was sugested NOT using ( Alta ) supplied lines, instead using harder lines to prevent collaps. If this sealed solution is used, the knife edge seals will fail ( think about it - harder lines, same seals ). A piston engine is a pump.... with a pulse

Best way - leave the drivers side vent alone, don't touch it.... Rout 1 line from the PVC to the can, the other to the grey line.. DONE. That's it. Simpler than the Alta setup & IMHO way more better

Old 07-15-2006, 06:08 AM
jymontoya
5th Gear
I dont get it, what's an OCC?

Old 07-15-2006, 07:31 AM
62Lincoln
5th Gear
Oil Catch Can.

Old 07-18-2006, 06:52 AM
mtrspt5
3rd Gear
I have just rerouted the hosing to the revised layout and immediately noticed that partial acceleration was much smoother than before

Old 07-18-2006, 07:04 AM
lou
2nd Gear
reroute ?

Could you sketch this new improved reroute? I have the Alta can hooked up per their instructions. The only thing I collect is a lot of condensation in the colder months. I have entertained the removal of the OCC or possible reroute? Thanks.

Old 07-18-2006, 07:14 AM
mtrspt5
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by lou
Could you sketch this new improved reroute? I have the Alta can hooked up per their instructions. The only thing I collect is a lot of condensation in the colder months. I have entertained the removal of the OCC or possible reroute? Thanks.
Lou,

Post 26 and 28 have a diagram of the routing.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:00 PM
moremini
Neutral
OCC on the cheap

After reading all the comments, I looked at OCC thru Google and found this for those wanting to do an OCC for less. http://www.sparerib.net/mini/mods.htm This guy shows how to use a small commercial separator to do the job about half way down his page.
I also agree only the PCV line should be altered to run thru the OCC. The PVC never clses, only varies it's opening size as needed based on engine needs for blowby.

moremini

Old 07-19-2006, 06:04 PM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Moremini, welcome to NAM.
The OCC in your link is the way to do it.

Old 07-20-2006, 06:49 AM
lou
2nd Gear
Related questions:
I have the OCC hooked up per Alta directions and note two things:
1) Cold weather all I collect is water vapor. Most drives are short distances and car never gets warm. Now that summer weather is here, no more water...minimum oil coating. I believe this to be normal.
2) Fumes...Have a lawn mower type smell in the garage after parking the MINI while cooling. ( No lawn mower is in the garage ) Also, in the car when first starting out..same smell. The Alta CAI is also installed.

Questions: Does anyone else have similar odors?

Will installation per post #28 eliminate this odor?

Thanks for any comments.

Old 07-20-2006, 06:52 AM
mtrspt5
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by lou
Related questions:
1) Cold weather all I collect is water vapor. Most drives are short distances and car never gets warm. Now that summer weather is here, no more water...minimum oil coating. I believe this to be normal.
2) Fumes...Have a lawn mower type smell in the garage after parking the MINI while cooling. ( No lawn mower is in the garage ) Also, in the car when first starting out..same smell. The Alta CAI is also installed.

Thanks for any comments.
Lou,

IMO, it is the smell of oil leeching from the silicon Alta can and the silicone hoses. I am in the process of switching to the M7 for that reason. I've already changed out the hose.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:37 AM
IrishCooper
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Is this common with the Alta OCC? I was planning on getting a red Alta unit but i dont want that to happen to me too.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:25 AM
BigBrownDog
4th Gear
I had this same smell without any OCC - my personal belief is that it comes from the Alta Intake - which when installed per the directions provides a very uninhibited path to the outside (via the cowl) from both the throttle body and the vent hose.

I could sometimes smell it inside the car when I would first start the car as well.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:28 AM
mtrspt5
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by IrishCooper
Is this common with the Alta OCC? I was planning on getting a red Alta unit but i dont want that to happen to me too.
I believe it is . . . hoping other people will chime in on this.

Old 07-20-2006, 10:23 AM
lou
2nd Gear
I will try to do the "sniff test" to locate the exact cause. I do not remember the odor with just the intake but I can not rule it out. The OCC was added about 6 months later and I do not remember a problem until then.

Thanks to all for information to same issues.

Old 07-20-2006, 10:57 AM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lou
Related questions:

Thanks for any comments.
Q 1: Yes
Q 2: Yes

In responce to Irishcooper, Reroute as to post #28

Old 07-20-2006, 11:44 AM
DrPhilGandini
I'd like to report that my reroute of the OCC from the M7 routing (which I think is similar to the Alta instructions) to that shown in post #28 is working *very* well. No problems, oil getting caught and no water. Nice and neat layout of the lines, also.
Here's a photo of the layout:

cheers,

Old 07-31-2006, 09:14 AM
JoeCool
3rd Gear
Does anyone know what the Mini Madness OCC breather filter does? None of the other OCC's seem to have one. Is it necessary or even an improvement over other designs?

Old 08-01-2006, 03:26 AM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JoeCool
Does anyone know what the Mini Madness OCC breather filter does? None of the other OCC's seem to have one. Is it necessary or even an improvement over other designs?
If this OCC is installed as per Alta instructions, the filter would allow more air flow for the crank case. Is the breather an improvment? It could be, depending on how you install it. Any OCC that is installed, as per this thread, does not need a breather. See Gandini's drawing

Old 08-02-2006, 10:40 AM
polizei
6th Gear
I need help, fast!

I'm trying to hook up my OCC right now. This is what I have so far.

Do I run the other tube to the other side of the valve cover and just clamp it down? Taking off my breather filter and the tubing that is already there?

So I have the T connected here. The valve to the tubing going to the OCC, then onto the grey line:

Then do I put the other tubing from the OCC all the way to this valve and clamp it down?

Thanks!
-Cody

Edit* Pics with arrows and text.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:11 AM
polizei
6th Gear
Bump. Anyone? I need help fast please!

-Cody

Edit, looking at this, I guess I shouldn't have connected all three lines?

Old 08-02-2006, 11:17 AM
DrPhilGandini
Cody:
Your photos do not look like my diagram! Remove the T or disconnect the line attached to the grey line and cap the T there. Now take the other line coming back from the OCC and connect it to the grey line. Leave all the original lines on the RHS unaffected.

cheers,

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Installing an OCC