Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Installing an OCC

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:05 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
internal inbound down tube extension - find either metal or plastic tubing that fits inside the nipple connection. The thinner the better because it does "narrow" the overall path. Other options JB weld a tube in place or actually weld it in place.

My tube is extends about 1/2 inch above the external clear plastic reader tube, this way when the reader tube is still functional. Bear in mind the farther you go down the less the OCC can actually hold. I also suggest making holes on the sides of the down tube.

Steel wool - fill the entire can but do not pack it down for you want the oily air to flow threw it.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:45 AM
haygood
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm confused about the tube extension. Sounds like you are using the tube to deliver the oil to the bottom of the can. It would then bubble up through any accumulated oil, distubing that oil and getting more of that sprayed/bubbled/splattered on through the outlet to the engine. The way the Wally-Mart/HD cans are made seems better. Spraying around the side of the container de-aerates the fluid.

I'm planning to do this using copper wool as the stuffing, if any. Our airplane uses aluminum shavings in the tip tanks to baffle the fuel. That aluminum breaks down and clogs the fuel filters on a regular basis. I know stainless is way way stronger, but IF it went down the line, a stainless bit in the engine would be horrible, while a copper bit would just get masserated. Still not convinced I want anything in there, but maybe I'll test both at some point.

Sombody please tell me the post number for Dr. Phil's diagram. Thanks.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:37 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by haygood
I'm confused about the tube extension. Sounds like you are using the tube to deliver the oil to the bottom of the can. It would then bubble up through any accumulated oil, distubing that oil and getting more of that sprayed/bubbled/splattered on through the outlet to the engine.
You are correct if you run the tube to far down. The length is best determined by the size of the can used (depth), the location of the reader gauge and how often you plan on checking it/emptying the can.

I use the M7 can which is pretty deep and ran the tube about 1/2 inch above the bottom of the reader gauge or about 2/3 from the top. I also drilled small holes on the sides of the tube (about 1" up from the end of the tube) which helps dissipate the air from blasting straight down.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Mike S
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JoeCool

Cody, I think this is the diagram you should be using.
In the above diagram, which way is the inlet and which way the outlet? I maybe missed a post where it stated it?

Old 09-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mike S
In the above diagram, which way is the inlet and which way the outlet? I maybe missed a post where it stated it?

green would be in and blue out

Old 09-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Mike S
4th Gear
Thanks bart!

Old 09-11-2008, 12:04 PM
haygood
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
How do you keep air from leaking in the bottom of the filter?

I got the Home Depot filter. It looks nice and has 4mm threaded holes already. The **** on the bottom pushes a valve up to open it. There is nothing to pull the valve down to keep it closed. I cna blow air into the chamber easily with the **** in either position. This would let air leak into the filter when used in vacuum as an OCC. How have you guys prevented this?

The Campbell Housfiled blue filter looks to have a similar valve, but maybe it works differently. Any advice? Thanks.

Brian

Old 09-11-2008, 12:06 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Those filters are usually held closed by air pressure... I don't know how that applies to this application....

Old 09-11-2008, 12:34 PM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The Campbell Housfield "Mini" filter has a spring in the needle-valve drain. You have to push it in to make it drain.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:39 PM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
has anyone notice the alta hose from the pcv to the can discoloring?

i used the supplied foam rings they give you with the alta can and jammed them all in there and ran the hose to the bottom. i have to reposition the site tube to the front so i can read it better as its in the rear now as i didnt notice until after it was bolted in and to lazy to unbolt it to swivel it to the front.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:19 AM
NewMINI2
1st Gear
Originally Posted by DrPhilGandini
Saturday morning I installed the OCC as per my first sketch, then obehave and clifft's posts made me think more about it.
Here's my install as of this morning (Monday - Gandini OCC alt sketch! - the sketch quality is not any better but still trying to get the feel for using a pen and tablet instead of a mouse!):

I recall on an earlier OCC thread some pictures of the second OCC installation, with the can in the air box. It looked pretty neat. Also this V2.0 setup has the neatest routing of lines (not as neat as stock, though!)
btw, the car runs just fine with this and the first setup, as it did with the M7 routing--all three do not seem to cause any drivability problems.

cheers,
Hello, I need a little help here.

I have that setup, previous I am runing the alta instruction setup.
But at that setup now, when I star the engine my alta OCC has squeze for a little. If I put the hoses down I hear a whistle. I feel a vacuum if I put the finger on one of the hoses (OCC).

It's that normal?

Old 01-13-2009, 05:49 AM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is (negative) pressure in the system. The routing shown works. For me--over 3 years.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:20 PM
jown.iv
4th Gear
after reading 187 posts, i still have no idea wtf is being said here. can somebody just put up a picture, plain and simple, of how it should look? ive got the bsh occ, for an r53. didnt come with any directions. what do i do?

Old 12-25-2012, 02:41 PM
05r50
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Did you try using the instructions from BSH? I didn't read them, but in case you need them, you can find them here. http://www.bshspeedshop.com/bshstore...structions.pdf

Old 12-25-2012, 03:06 PM
jown.iv
4th Gear
THANK YOU. i searched all over and was unable to find that. i appreciate the quick response.