Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Deep Sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 07:44 AM
BoyRacer
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello, I am a technical nightmare and don't really know that much about engines. I do know what I like in a car and that is a deep beefy noise. I was wondering if any one could help me by maybe listing a few modifications to make my car louder. By this I am not talking about a system, I mean I want a car to sound like it can out run a Scooby. I know that I could get a modified exhaust but what else??? I am not after bhp as it would just pump up my insurance. What type of exhaust and filter are the loudest and what are the other little tricks? Any one out there in the land of MCO know??

Old 02-19-2003, 08:00 AM
Thechandler81
4th Gear
Get the magnaflow exhaust and either the pipercross or mini-madness intakes. The magnaflow exhaust will add a very deep, bassy sound to your mini. Add the mini-motorsport airbox modification (drilling holes in the airbox partition) and your car will deffinately be louder.
Check out these videos courtsey of http://www.mini-motorsport.com exhaust + intake sound

And i was just wondering, if your insurance company doesent konw that you have added horse power to your car, why should it matter?

Old 02-19-2003, 08:05 AM
BoyRacer
4th Gear
Thanks for that. That is very helpful. The reason I would have to tell my insurance company is, in the event of an accident, some one from the insurance company could go over the car and notice any modifications. If this happened and I hadn't declared it then my policy would be void and I wouldn't get any money off them and I would be up a certain creek

Old 02-19-2003, 08:08 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BoyRacer,

I think thechandler hit the nail on the head (and he knows - 'cause that is the set up he has!).

1. Magnaflow
2. Madness Intake
3. MINI-Motorsport Airbox mod

These will give you incredible, and balanced, sound. The supercharger whine is pure music, and the deep throaty sound of the Magnaflow, combined with the part throttle burble, is absolute joy.

Disclaimer: The Magnaflow is a louder system than stock, and is not for everyone. There are several systems out there, each with their own benefits. Contact MINI-Motorsport for more information.

Randy
randy@mini-motorsport.com
720-841-1002

Old 02-19-2003, 09:53 AM
Whitney
1st Gear
Just finished the install on my Magnaflow......WOW!!!! Still not a hundred percent sure about the tips though. The performance and sound make up for it!
Randy, I have now done the madness intake and magnaflow exhaust. If I didn't want to do the pulley, would you have any recomendations on which ECU software would give the best performance and what other goodies would you suggest in the best bang for the buck area.

Thanks!!!!

Old 02-19-2003, 10:36 AM
Morales
4th Gear
>>Just finished the install on my Magnaflow......WOW!!!! Still not a hundred percent sure about the tips though. The performance and sound make up for it!
>>Randy, I have now done the madness intake and magnaflow exhaust. If I didn't want to do the pulley, would you have any recomendations on which ECU software would give the best performance and what other goodies would you suggest in the best bang for the buck area.
>>
>>Thanks!!!!
>>
>>
>>_________________
>>Scott

The trumpet tips grow on you. I love mine.

Old 02-19-2003, 12:32 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
>>Just finished the install on my Magnaflow......WOW!!!! Still not a hundred percent sure about the tips though. The performance and sound make up for it!
>>Randy, I have now done the madness intake and magnaflow exhaust. If I didn't want to do the pulley, would you have any recomendations on which ECU software would give the best performance and what other goodies would you suggest in the best bang for the buck area.
>>
>>Thanks!!!!
>>
>>
>>_________________
>>Scott

Scott,

Honestly, the pulley is really next in line. At $200, plus labor of roughly $400, it is worth more than the ECU alone would give you.

The other mod that's just about free is the MINI-Motorsport Airbox mod - check out the how-tos. This also intrduces more supercharger whine into the cockpit, but since you already have the Magnaflow, it balances the sound nicely.

The ECU programming that is worth anything is $750. I have driven the car with that upgrade, and it definitely makes power (around 18hp claimed to be precise), but a car with the pulley and no ECU can outdrag it. There are more choices coming - Garrett and Unichip to mention two.

The other option, but I don't have pricing on it yet, is the throttle body. We'll see what the horsepower and pricing is on that mod by itself soon.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Randy
720-841-1002

Old 02-19-2003, 02:07 PM
tsprayfhs
3rd Gear
The Beach Boys have a song 'No Go Showboat'. Just thought it fit.

Old 02-19-2003, 02:13 PM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Not quite sure what you mean by that????

Old 02-19-2003, 03:51 PM
d-mini-ero
6th Gear
Disclaimer: The Magnaflow is a louder system than stock, and is not for everyone. There are several systems out there, each with their own benefits. Contact MINI-Motorsport for more information.

I'm sure I had a little something to do with that....rofl

Peace,
D

Old 02-19-2003, 04:07 PM
binkydognose
3rd Gear
Old 02-19-2003, 05:36 PM
CharlesWil
5th Gear
This Post is a scam.
:evil:

Old 02-19-2003, 05:40 PM
Pebbles
6th Gear
I am SO glad I'm not your neighbors!

I can hear the kids coming down the street in their double loud cars from inside my house!!! I'd be out of my mind if they were in a MINI!!

Old 02-19-2003, 05:40 PM
Whitney
1st Gear
Thanks Randy........Your the man! I will do the air box mod this weekend and get back to you! Next will probably be the throttle body and then when more info comes in I will make an ECU decision. As for the pulley!!! When will you be in Southern California to help me with the install!!!

Scott: Red/White MCS.

Old 02-19-2003, 11:00 PM
dtmmini
1st Gear
hey whitney i just did the pulley mod. at first i was very scared but you know the mod was no big thing i thought it was a lot harder and with randys instructions how can you go wrong.
i cant wait for my super charger to come back from randy!!!! damn the pacific ocean i should have got the submarine option

Old 02-20-2003, 02:13 AM
BoyRacer
4th Gear
Thanks for all the comments. One further question though.
Randy, you suggest the Madness intake but on your site it says the BMP intake is loudest. I am confused (it doesn't take much)

Old 02-20-2003, 06:36 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
I've had both the BMP intake and the Madness/Rogue intake.

A-The Madness/Rogue intake makes much more power. I've tested both on a dyno.

B-The BMP intake makes more sound, yes....but it's a higher pitch than the Madness/Rogue.

R

Old 02-20-2003, 08:13 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
>>This Post is a scam.
>> :evil:

Say whaaa???

Old 02-20-2003, 08:18 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Boy Racer,

Ryan (davbret) got it right - for lower and louder, the Madness is the way to go. For higher pitch but more total noise, go with the BMP.

For those of you worried, the combinations I've suggested still won't make your MINI sound like a "ricer" (not that there's anything wrong with that political disclaimer). The sound is more like an old Austin Healey or a Spitfire with a good exhaust on it. It really is a pretty sound.

I don't think anyone should be flaming anyone - the whole MINI experience is different for all of us. To some it's environmental, to others it is a statement (even if that statement is making the car sound better), for some it's a hot rod, and still to others it is a throw-back to earlier times in our lives. Let's not mess up the motoring experience for anyone - just enjoy your MINI in your own way :smile: .

Randy

Old 02-20-2003, 08:36 AM
geyerlaw
Neutral
>>I've had both the BMP intake and the Madness/Rogue intake.
>>
>>A-The Madness/Rogue intake makes much more power. I've tested both on a dyno.
>>
>>B-The BMP intake makes more sound, yes....but it's a higher pitch than the Madness/Rogue.
>>
>>
>>
>>R
geyerlaw--hello, I am new to the BB as a new Cooper S owner--dark silver, black roof. Has anyone used the driver's side muffler as the only by merely bypassing the passenger side?

Old 02-20-2003, 09:08 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Welcome!

I have about four stock systems laying in the shop, so I could give it a whirl.

I haven't tried it yet. I'll report the findings.

Randy

Old 02-20-2003, 09:49 AM
Whitney
1st Gear
dtmmini, Thanks for the report, I think I might do the pulley, however I need to find someone experienced in the Southern California market...anyone have any suggestions........Randy do you?