Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain I also have B&M shifter install issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 07:01 AM
m332is
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have B&M shifter install issues

I tried to install the B&M shifter and had two problems... first the angle of the cables was way too great and the shifting was way too tough. After seeing the other B&M post, I think I may have missed a step which could have fixed that... I'll have to re-read the instructions.

The other issue was that the new bottom cover I got was pressed against the heatshield and that pressed right against the exhaust (JCW). So I had a horrible vibration.

Is this due to the design of the JCW or has anyone else had this problem and found a way around it?

And yes, I had the version for the 04-05 car

Old 08-30-2005, 07:00 PM
etickt
2nd Gear
rough shifting

I had a similar problem with my 05 b&m install. Mine was from bending the housing on the front-back shift cable, right where it enters the shifter box. I replaced it with a new one, and it shifts better now. It shouldn't be much higher effort than stock. I think the cable was about $65?

The instructions for installing frmo B&M suck. They give an incorrect way to remove the cup on the cable from the rod. I figured it out the 2nd time around... The cup is actually made so that you can put a small wrench on it, and lever it off very easily.

I think I've read here that there are some fit issues using the larger shift boxes with the JCW exhaust.

-Andy

Old 08-31-2005, 05:15 AM
garretwp
5th Gear
There is a sale going on for the BM shifter, should i be worried on purchasing the shifter for my 05 MCS? I do not want to end up with a messed up install and end up spending more money on parts becuase of issues.

Garrett

Old 09-01-2005, 06:18 PM
etickt
2nd Gear
Skip it.

Of the things that I have done to the car, that is the only one that I would not do again. This includes the items in my sig, plus parcel shelf, ipod adapter, 65W high beams, painted calipers, etc. I dont think it really improves the car very much, and several people I spoke with screwed up the shift cable in the very same way.

-Andy

Originally Posted by garretwp
There is a sale going on for the BM shifter, should i be worried on purchasing the shifter for my 05 MCS? I do not want to end up with a messed up install and end up spending more money on parts becuase of issues.

Garrett

Old 09-01-2005, 06:31 PM
red rage
4th Gear
Just have someone do it who knows how, a pro, who has been there before

I find the BM shifter to be MUCH MORE enjoyable, crisper, less "Lossey goosey", the stock sucked

Old 09-04-2005, 02:56 PM
garretwp
5th Gear
I took the plunge and bought the BM ssk! I installed it today and let me tell you, I LOVE IT! The install was not to bad and took me a total of 2 hours. A few tips for anyone interested in installing it yourself. I took etickt advice and used a small wrench to pop off the end cable and used a flat head screw driver to take the side cable off. With being careful, the cables came right off! All in all just take your time and you will be fine. I had to bend the heat sheild to form around the cover, but it all came out nicely! Its a shame that gas is so damn expensive right now that I just cant go for a nice long drive and enjoy it. I guess over time I will.

Garrett

Old 09-08-2005, 01:03 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i had mine in about 1/2 hour.

i dont see any problems, the instructions were clear to me. my shift cable angle is very steep, but i dont think it would be a problem. it shifts much firmer than stock, its like trying to drive a different car now, i found i'm accidentaly chirping the tires into second now, i gotta learn not to release the clutch as fast now!

Old 09-08-2005, 02:25 PM
VoiD
6th Gear
Can't wait to install mine..

Still waiting for my center pipe without a resonator to be delivered so I can do both at the same time.

Old 09-08-2005, 02:52 PM
garretwp
5th Gear
I too have to get use to driving the car now with the new shifter! Changing into gears is a lot more work then before. But it is well worth it! Changing gears is a lot faster and less movement which I like a lot. Now I am waiting on my whalen to make things even better!

Garrett

Old 09-08-2005, 03:23 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
any of you guys notice any clicking from the shift linkage moving side to side on the shifter? i notice from 2nd to 3rd sometimes or floping it around in neutral it sounds like the linkage is sliding side to side making a clicking noise....

Old 09-08-2005, 03:27 PM
conehead
3rd Gear
I have 50k miles on my 02 S and B&M SS with no issues. Its one of my favorite mods as you use it constantly.

Old 09-08-2005, 05:16 PM
DrkSilvrMini
6th Gear
Ive had my B&M shifter on for awhile now with no problems at all .

Old 09-08-2005, 05:48 PM
garretwp
5th Gear
I have had my shifter installed since sunday with no problems. I would suggest you take the shifter boot off and move the shifter around to see if you can figure out where the clicking may be coming from. Did you do the install yourself? Check the lever piece that connects to the side of the shifter as that is what allows you to move it from 2 to 3 4 to 5 etc.

Garrett

Old 09-09-2005, 01:37 PM
glassintrepid
3rd Gear
I got mine in after two trys. I gave up the first time because i could not get the retaining clips off of the box. I finnally got them of with a screw driver. Then i could push the cable threw the holes and remove the cables from the ball joints.

Old 09-09-2005, 02:49 PM
bambam
3rd Gear
I want to do one myself but it seems to me the cable would bind because you have to push it down to connect it to the pivot ball instead of comming straight through the box. With the shift kit it would go through the box then down. Is the angle really steep or is it no big deal?

Old 09-09-2005, 05:20 PM
garretwp
5th Gear
If you buy the BM SSK and your car is an 04 or up, then you get a new panel box that replaces the stock cover. It is deff. worth it to install the kit. I got the BM just becuase of the replacement cover and no need to leave it open! The work to remove the cable is not as bad as most people say it is. I used a small wrench that was small enough to go in between the cable and the ball portion of the shifter and used a lever motion to pop it off. Take your time and you will have not trouble at all. I was very worried on doing it myself and called up helix to get a cost of how much the install was. I was bored last sunday and said to myself what the h3ll and went with it and never turned back.

Garrett