Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain $16 Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 04:21 PM
daleCarlsbad
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$16 Catch Can

After reading up on all the options, I hooked this one up to the PCV circuit and plan to install a second one on the valve cover breather circuit. I think running two “cans” is the way to go after reviewing all the discussions. Just posting photos to help others looking into this topic.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:00 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
daleCarlsbad, that is an absolutely fantastic idea that you have put forth. Could you post the parts details and where you got them?

Old 08-26-2005, 10:21 PM
LAMINI
Banned
interested

please post parts needed and source....thx

Old 08-27-2005, 04:44 AM
daleCarlsbad
3rd Gear
I got the idea from here idea

Although I purchased two brand new ones off of e-bay for $5 each, the next best price for the Mini General Purpose Filter Model MP5138, is $10.35 from here. Jacks lawnmower

To mount it I tapped the holes for 5-mm screws and fabricated the bracket from scrap aluminum. The brass fittings were around $4 each at a local Speed Shop.
I plan on mounting a second "can" for the valve cover breather curcuit on the Alta air filter housing over on the Driver's side of the engine bay.

Old 08-27-2005, 06:17 AM
AC_MINI
5th Gear
Fantastic idea, thanks daleCarlsbad............

Old 08-27-2005, 06:48 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
applause

This is absolutley great. I wanted to add an oil catch can but thought the prices were absolutley ridiculous! I was playing with the idea of making them out of PVC components but your solution is even better!!

The VENDORS have way too much mark up ! I appreciate vendor know how and service and support and want them to make money so they are there for me BUT the mark up on cans is absurd.

Old 08-27-2005, 10:44 AM
betet
4th Gear
All I can say is

BTW, have you seen any oil collection??

///Gilbert

Old 08-27-2005, 11:24 AM
wc351
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is going to sound stupid, but what is the purpose of this???? I really don't know.

Old 08-27-2005, 01:12 PM
daleCarlsbad
3rd Gear
I’m still only 800 miles into the motor break-in and have not gone over 5K rpm, but I am seeing a trace of oil in the catch.

Purpose for this………...do a search on “catch can” for the full technical details, but the short answer is that it keeps oil from collecting on the inside of your intercooler.

Old 08-27-2005, 01:58 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
daleCarlsbad, after thinking about your solution overnight, I am still amazed at what you have come up with. Even at $30, it is still better than what the aftermarket vendors are charging - and their solution for inspecting the level of the oil/water in the "can" is frankly, underwhelming. This gets my vote for best idea of the month!!!!

Old 08-27-2005, 05:35 PM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You may want to put some coarse copper wool or similar in the catch can. If the oil droplets are fine enough, they may enter the bottle and exit right out. Putting an obstruction inside gives the oil a place to collect.

Old 08-27-2005, 06:00 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Very ingenious

Old 08-27-2005, 09:46 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Very clever! I'll 2nd what Andy said though. The oil vapor can simply shoot straight accross to the outlet w/o being caught...

The stainless steel lint trap seen in this photo can be trimmed to work very well in your set-up...

Old 08-27-2005, 10:56 PM
caminifan
6th Gear
Depending on the manufacturer/design of the bowl, there will be a baffle that is part of the head unit. The baffle will force the flow down to the bottom of the bowl before returning to the top to exit. If there is a baffle that is built into the head unit, I doubt there will be a need for steel/copper wool to trap the oil/water.

Old 08-27-2005, 11:07 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Good point on the baffle. Even if there is one though, a fine mesh, allowing for more surface area, would be a nice addition...

Old 08-27-2005, 11:23 PM
betet
4th Gear
Originally Posted by daleCarlsbad
I’m still only 800 miles into the motor break-in and have not gone over 5K rpm, but I am seeing a trace of oil in the catch.
Ahhhh that explains the clean motor.. I was about to comment on how good your detailing skills are ..

As far as putting some coarse material in the can, would this have to be changed regularly or is it more of a permanent item?

///Gilbert

Old 08-27-2005, 11:37 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
I was under the impression that if one uses something like stainless steel, it's in there for good, and there's no need to remove it. Just empty the oil like mixture... and with this container being clear, it's certainly obvious when to do so .

Old 08-28-2005, 12:41 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
One possible hiccup.... If the bowl is polycarbonate, polycarbonate doesn't like temperatures such as are present in the engine compartment. So, it might need to be replaced with a metal bowl. However, even with a metal bowl, the pricing is still very competitive(~$50); you just don't have the benefit of the clear bowl and a sight glass becomes a need.

Old 08-28-2005, 07:42 AM
francisk
6th Gear
Looks like it has metal bowl replacement part.
Filter manual

Old 09-05-2005, 07:45 PM
Johnna
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by caminifan
Depending on the manufacturer/design of the bowl, there will be a baffle that is part of the head unit. The baffle will force the flow down to the bottom of the bowl before returning to the top to exit. If there is a baffle that is built into the head unit, I doubt there will be a need for steel/copper wool to trap the oil/water.
I think you're right caminifan. This one seems to have a built in filter of some sort. Here's it's description.

"The MP5138, mini general purpose filter protect tools and equipment by removing most solid and liquid contaminants. This may include dust, dirt, pipe scale, rust, liquid water and bulk oil. A 5-micron filter element removes the smallest of particles. See-through bowl allows easy monitoring of fluid level. Features a manual drain and screw-on bowl. Mini series provides up to 21 SCFM flow capacity at 90 PSI. 150 PSI maximum pressure."

No need for added screens or stainless steel wool.

Old 09-20-2005, 06:46 AM
drewffff
2nd Gear
re: $16 catch can (mp5138)

I went to get this filter at Harbor Freight ($15). In the bowl was a factory note stating that it should not be used with various substances- one of them being synthetic oils- as it could cause the bowl to fail. Thought you should know.

drewffff

Old 09-22-2005, 08:27 AM
drewffff
2nd Gear
re: $16 catch can

Can a good catch can be made by onesself out of parts from Home Depot or whereever? Would pvc pipe work? It is thick and I would not think that heat would be a problem. What would be needed to do this project (tools, parts and supplies)? Would it withstand the pressure and chemicals and heat? Could a screw buttom or valve **** be put on it to remove the oil? Lots of questions, huh?

drewffff

Old 09-22-2005, 08:37 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You shouldn't have lots of pressure inside the catch can. The PCV is routed to the supercharger inlet, which usually sees a vacuum and shouldn't see boost. The breather is routed to the rubber inlet hose upstream of the throttle, which also usually sees a vacuum and shouldn't see boost.

Definitely plan in advance, a way of emptying the can.

You should have something that withstands fairly high temps and can put up with nasty chemicals like motor oil, but then again for $16 ... it may be worth taking a chance. I'm going to try running a pair of these cheapies to see what I catch and if there are any problems with their contact with the oil/sludge/water/etc.

Old 09-22-2005, 11:48 AM
simpsoap
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
if one was to have a Greddy Oil Catch Can let's say left over from the previous car they had, is there a good place to install this on the MCS? I am going to be purchasing a MCS in the next couple of months and would like to know if I should sell the Greddy or hold onto it....

Old 09-28-2005, 08:29 PM
///ACS330Ci
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by andy@ross-tech.com
I'm going to try running a pair of these cheapies to see what I catch and if there are any problems with their contact with the oil/sludge/water/etc.
So, what did you find out?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain $16 Catch Can