Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Exhaust Q - which way would you go?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 08:43 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Q - which way would you go?

Okay, here is chance for your TWO cents - which way would you go?

Looking for best HP gain for the $

option 1 - OBX header PLUS one ball exhaust.
option 2 - stock header plus CAT back system.

The car is for daily street use - so which way is most complimentary (note I have a 15 pulley and CAI) ?

Pollution issues, warranty, ect.... not an issue.

So which way would you go?

Old 08-25-2005, 09:42 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
what no comments - okay will take 1 pennies worth, you cheap B@stards

Old 08-25-2005, 10:13 AM
obehave
6th Gear
Stock header + cat back.

Old 08-25-2005, 10:25 AM
inimmini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
header for me

I'm trying the opposite route, stock exhaust with OBX header. I don't think I'll go as far as the the 1-ball route, having listened to the sound clips in the exhaust shoot-out thread. The 1-ball is so high pitched and tinny sounding.

But I wondered the same thing, having added the pully and intake -- what is the best bang-for-the-$ in opening up the exhaust? After reading all the exhaust and OBX threads and mentally averaging the comments, I concluded that the header has a better chance of making a noticeable power difference, it deepens the exhaust note, and it's cheaper than most cat-backs.

Old 08-25-2005, 10:34 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
But if you buy a OBX header don't you have to buy a CAT or cut and weld the OEM cat to the header?

Old 08-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
[/QUOTE]The 1-ball is so high pitched and tinny sounding. [/QUOTE]
Just so you know the 1-ball made my MCS just slightly louder and deeper than stock. The sound difference between stock and 1 -ball is very subtle , I only really notice a difference as I rev out first gear. I also perceive a performance difference, complementing the CAI and pulley - again perceive and for the money =

Bahamabart

Old 08-25-2005, 10:49 AM
inimmini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
But if you buy a OBX header don't you have to buy a CAT or cut and weld the OEM cat to the header?
Yes, I bought a stock header/cat on e-bay, about $90 delivered, so 'll use that to hook-up the OBX. I'll have the existing header in the garage if I ever need it. Still comes out a lot cheaper than a Milltek or Magnaflow cat-back.

Old 08-25-2005, 10:52 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
IF I go with the OBX and 1-ball - I would transplant the cat.

But I'm on the fence and need the board to push me one way or the othe.

Old 08-25-2005, 04:15 PM
vegasdan
3rd Gear
The one ball will do nothing but sound tinny. Start with a decent cat back, add a header later. To me, the one ball exhaust is comparable to the guy who wants to lighten his MINI and doesn't want to buy carbon fiber, so he just takes his doors off.

Old 08-27-2005, 06:53 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
feed back

Originally Posted by vegasdan
The one ball will do nothing but sound tinny. Start with a decent cat back, add a header later. To me, the one ball exhaust is comparable to the guy who wants to lighten his MINI and doesn't want to buy carbon fiber, so he just takes his doors off.
Appreciate yr comments but my question was an attempt to get feedback on which option would produce more hp or torque and not which would sound better.

I have the 1-ball installed and I don't find it tiny but virtually stock sounding - just a tad deeper. And I did find a performance difference - when joined to a CAI & pulley. You have to ask yourself how much difference is there between the 1-ball and a single sided system like Alta / mymini (examples only)? The degree of free flow between the two mufflers ? the 1-ball because it uses a more restrictive muffler just might produce more torque than a more free flow oriented muffler (again like alta or the new mymini system). Even Webb is playing with a new system that shuts down one side of the exhaust to enhance torque.

i think a lot of people sneer at the 1-ball because a) people perceive you need to spend more, b) you don't get a real noticeable sound difference and c) you don't get new sexy tips.

I am realistic that the 1-ball it will not match some of the after market system gains you get but I still question - how would the obx header & 1-ball match up against a stock header & cat back system - primarily for enhanced daily street.

Old 08-27-2005, 07:30 AM
muy_mini
2nd Gear
Assuming your funds are limited... A good way to help you make your decision in a objective way, removing any subjectivity, is to calculate how much money it costs per HP gained. You could use the manufacturer's claimed HP increase [I'm guestimating 4-6 HP?] or bump it down slightly to reflect reality [I guess there are some products that make more HP than claimed, but the opposite seems more common]. If you're not supplying the 'free' labor, then things can get interesting on a header install. IMHO, a header install would probably yield more HP if you had a head that has bigger valves and was ported/polished -- headers might be overkill for a stock head.

Re: Missing those sexy exhaust tips on an aftermarket system...
You can always get different replacement slide-ons...

To go one step beyond a one-ball mod, probably the cheapest bang for the buck thing to do would be to head back over to your friendly local exhaust shop and get them to run 2-1/2" pipe ALL THE WAY thru and replace the remaining stock one-ball muffler with a less restrictive or see-thru muffler. Downstream of the new muffler, you could have your choice of exhaust tip(s) and diameter.

-Barry [guilty of always looking for cheap HP]

Originally Posted by Bahamabart
Appreciate yr comments but my question was an attempt to get feedback on which option would produce more hp or torque and not which would sound better.

I have the 1-ball installed and I don't find it tiny but virtually stock sounding - just a tad deeper. And I did find a performance difference - when joined to a CAI & pulley. You have to ask yourself how much difference is there between the 1-ball and a single sided system like Alta / mymini (examples only)? The degree of free flow between the two mufflers ? the 1-ball because it uses a more restrictive muffler just might produce more torque than a more free flow oriented muffler (again like alta or the new mymini system). Even Webb is playing with a new system that shuts down one side of the exhaust to enhance torque.

i think a lot of people sneer at the 1-ball because a) people perceive you need to spend more, b) you don't get a real noticeable sound difference and c) you don't get new sexy tips.

I am realistic that the 1-ball it will not match some of the after market system gains you get but I still question - how would the obx header & 1-ball match up against a stock header & cat back system - primarily for enhanced daily street.

Old 08-27-2005, 09:05 AM
inimmini
4th Gear
I still question - how would the obx header & 1-ball match up against a stock header & cat back system - primarily for enhanced daily street.
Reading all the exhaust reviews, there seem to be a fair number of people who feel the cat back doesn't make much difference in power, except at the very high rpm range. The exhaust advice usually boils down to picking based on sound, look, and weight. One dyno of the Magnaflow even showed slightly decreased hp vs. stock. Of course, there are those on the other side of the fence as well, but overall it seems as if the cat back itself is not a big power adder.

On the over hand, the OBX header has pretty enthusiastic reviews claiming increased torque at lower rpms, which is great for street driving. There is also one nice dyno chart showing strong gains across the power band. I just got the OBX last nite, and in comparison the stock head has some pretty crazy restrictions, like the pinch point at the 4-in-1 collector and the neck just past the flex joint. The individual pipes are also narrower. So, I'm betting the OBX is a better exhaust mod than a cat back, but that's just my analysis of the situation.

Old 08-29-2005, 08:57 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by inimmini
Reading all the exhaust reviews, there seem to be a fair number of people who feel the cat back doesn't make much difference in power, except at the very high rpm range. The exhaust advice usually boils down to picking based on sound, look, and weight. One dyno of the Magnaflow even showed slightly decreased hp vs. stock. Of course, there are those on the other side of the fence as well, but overall it seems as if the cat back itself is not a big power adder.

On the over hand, the OBX header has pretty enthusiastic reviews claiming increased torque at lower rpms, which is great for street driving. There is also one nice dyno chart showing strong gains across the power band. I just got the OBX last nite, and in comparison the stock head has some pretty crazy restrictions, like the pinch point at the 4-in-1 collector and the neck just past the flex joint. The individual pipes are also narrower. So, I'm betting the OBX is a better exhaust mod than a cat back, but that's just my analysis of the situation.
You are confirming my gut - that the header w/ the 1-ball will actually give me more torque or enhanced daily driving power. So I think I just got pushed over the fence and will do the obx header.

I want to dyno the car and see where I have gotten.

thank you all for the input.

bahamabart

Old 08-29-2005, 09:28 AM
Green Giant
2nd Gear
FWIW, when I did my research on which mods to do on my MCSa, I learned from multiple sources that exhaust and intake mods should go together in order to get the maximum benefit out of both.

You can take that as just sales pitch like I did, so I did the install one at a time. After installing the intake first, I drove it for about 500 miles (made sure the ecu resets and learns the new addition), I can say that the seat of the pants feel of power was minimal. Then I did the catback exhaust, and there was a noticeable boost from the mid range up, and this was even before the 500 miles ecu relearning curve!

Well, I guess this just proves the theory of intake and exhaust mods should be done together. Of course this is just my observation, and as always, your mileage may vary.

Old 08-29-2005, 09:37 AM
bomboasy
4th Gear
If you are going to do anything to the exhaust, do the OBX. You can forget about the Cat-Back. It is OK to do it, but the header is a must. After the pulley, it is the best for the money mod.

Bomboasy

You are confirming my gut - that the header w/ the 1-ball will actually give me more torque or enhanced daily driving power. So I think I just got pushed over the fence and will do the obx header.

I want to dyno the car and see where I have gotten.

thank you all for the input.

bahamabart

Old 10-01-2005, 04:20 AM
low4life
1st Gear
From reading above I take it everyone in this forum is trying to find a cheap solution. I am going with the Mini Madness header and the My Mini one sided exhaust both for the quality and performance gains. I feel that the one ball is nothing but a ghetto way to rig an exhaust.

You spent all of the money for the car dont go cheap on the aftermarket accessories

Old 10-02-2005, 07:19 AM
muy_mini
2nd Gear
Just your basic self righteous comment or are you trolling for fun...? I'd be more than happy to buy a quality exhaust system if you loan me the money. How about you also pay my mortgage and child's college tuition [enough to buy a Mini a year].
Here's one for you - why don't you buy a 'real' sports car that has rear wheel drive?

Ghetto homey with a bruised ego, cheap exhaust, and surrogate sports car,

Barry / 10 Ball

Originally Posted by low4life
From reading above I take it everyone in this forum is trying to find a cheap solution. I am going with the Mini Madness header and the My Mini one sided exhaust both for the quality and performance gains. I feel that the one ball is nothing but a ghetto way to rig an exhaust.

You spent all of the money for the car dont go cheap on the aftermarket accessories

Old 10-02-2005, 08:44 AM
Bahamabart
6th Gear
Originally Posted by low4life

NO, not cheap solution but cost effective solution. As to ghetto solution, clearly you have not done your homework here at NAM. There is no doubt that your way vs my way - your car will be faster assuming both wallets are in the cars .