Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain MCS w/98K. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 11:59 AM
whskysouth
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MCS w/98K. What to do?

I currnetly have an MCS with 98K miles. Most of them are highway miles. I now have the option of doing some tuning on this MINI. I would like some recommendations from both drivers and vendors.

My options are do the JCW for around 5K. Or do it all aftermarket. Advantages of doing the JCW, the dealer can do the work. The disadvantage of doing all aftermarket is I dont really have the facilities to be able to do such a major undertaking. Therefore I would have to find a shop, close to SC.

My goals are to make the MINI more fun to drive. It will still be an everyday driver, with spirited road sessions from time to time. I wont Autocross.

Any vendors that wish to respond to PM is greatly accepted.
Thanks for your help in advance.
whskysouth
EB, 02, SSR-GT1,

Old 06-26-2005, 01:46 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The JCW upgrade is about $6000, compared with $2000-$3000 for equivalent performance aftermarket.

I will praise the JCW upgrade endlessly - but you pay a lot extra for the peace of mind of a full warranty.

Your MINI has no warranty - I would recommend that you spend less money and go the aftermarket route.

Old 06-26-2005, 01:58 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
definitely do it aftermarket - at 98k miles your MINI is already out of warranty and there is no sense paying extra dough for mods that can be had for about $1500 plus installation.

Old 06-26-2005, 02:02 PM
MGear
5th Gear
Why are you even thinking of spending that kind of money on a car with 100,000 miles on it. Am I not getting something here, please explain.

Old 06-26-2005, 02:04 PM
camelpilot
Banned
I seriosuly wounldnt put a JCW kit on a car that has 98k miles, even if they are mostly highway miles.

Just put a pulley, intake and exhaust, practically the same thing with same power. If the engine blows, then no biggie, because you only spent 1200 on mods.

Keep an eye out for second hand exhaust systems too. Alot of MINI owners change their minds about exhaust systems and you have a few just laying around (locally) for cheap.

Old 06-26-2005, 02:05 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Although if you want that nice head...

....you could go with the JCW kit - but seriously price out the comparable bits with a vendor like Helix13.com - you'll be surprised to find how much cheaper it is to buy aftermarket.

Old 06-26-2005, 02:16 PM
supersand
2nd Gear
Not that your stock supercharger is worn out, but you'll get a new one with the JCW kit which would be nice and something thing to keep in mind. I'm no expert on engine mechanics but it seems that this parts high RPM's would eventually wear itself out even in its stock form. I personally went aftermarket with a pulley intake and exhaust and I'm happy with the result... Another problem is that at 98K miles its probably getting to a point in the car's lifespan where your better off just saving the money for a downpayment on another new or newer car.

Erik

Old 06-26-2005, 02:16 PM
JeffS
5th Gear
You could have an entire new engine built for the cost of the JCW... that's definitely not the route you want to take.

Old 06-26-2005, 03:24 PM
jbsf3
3rd Gear
I would guess you want to keep the car since by now it is probably paid for? I can only agree with what the others have already said- skip the JCW as your car is already out of warranty, go the less expensive route and enjoy the new mods!

Old 06-26-2005, 08:20 PM
whskysouth
3rd Gear
Thanks for all the input!!

I like the car what can I say. I dont see me getting rid of it. There is nothing really wrong with it.

Old 06-26-2005, 08:48 PM
Elkerster
2nd Gear
My dealer flat out told me although the JCW is great for the money you can do better for the car. It's an awsome kit but it doesn't add a whole lot.

Originally Posted by whskysouth
I currnetly have an MCS with 98K miles. Most of them are highway miles. I now have the option of doing some tuning on this MINI. I would like some recommendations from both drivers and vendors.

My options are do the JCW for around 5K. Or do it all aftermarket. Advantages of doing the JCW, the dealer can do the work. The disadvantage of doing all aftermarket is I dont really have the facilities to be able to do such a major undertaking. Therefore I would have to find a shop, close to SC.

My goals are to make the MINI more fun to drive. It will still be an everyday driver, with spirited road sessions from time to time. I wont Autocross.

Any vendors that wish to respond to PM is greatly accepted.
Thanks for your help in advance.
whskysouth
EB, 02, SSR-GT1,

Old 06-26-2005, 09:07 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Congrats on the mileage, whskysouth! Go for the CAI, pulley, Unichip and exhaust.......you'll love it! I've done all of the above except for the exhaust (I like the stealth OEM one). My girl is very PEPPY!

Clover

Old 06-26-2005, 11:01 PM
camelpilot
Banned
Originally Posted by whskysouth
Thanks for all the input!!

I like the car what can I say. I dont see me getting rid of it. There is nothing really wrong with it.
Definitely DONT get rid of that car, just because it's got alot of mileage on it. It's probably a good MINI, having got that far. Anyone who reccommends you do so are most likely the ones that send their parents to a home at age 60.

I would do what Clo suggested above. If your engine needs rebuilding, then get a tuner to rebuild it with race pistons or something. At 98k highway rpm miles, it probably doesnt need rebuilding.

The engine in a car is one of the easiest things to replace. Your car can stay with you for another 30 years if you let it. Just keep it clean and working and your car - even with race mod, will be just fine.

The only unfortunate thing for you is you've motored 98K miles without the 2 golden nuggets, pulley and intake. You're going to really be mad at yourself for not putting them on sooner - just wait and see.

Old 06-27-2005, 04:32 AM
whskysouth
3rd Gear
CamelPilot,

I would have loved to have done pulley, intake and exhaust much much much sooner. However the car was a company car till recently. Now that I have acquired the car I am looking to add a little more pep......

02, EB, SSR-GT1, ?, ?, ?, ?

Old 06-27-2005, 05:38 AM
mikem53
5th Gear
Go aftermarket... I agree with the pulley, intake , exhaust and then maybe some ECM tuning. Good bang for the buck. You have a seasoned engine, which is a good thing... mileage is not an issue if it was well maintained.
Keep us updated.. good luck

Old 06-27-2005, 05:53 AM
planeguy
6th Gear
Ok, dont get me wrong here. But why are we talking like the MINI is going to fall apart at 100,000 miles. I would have never bought a car if I planned on it comming to pieces at 100k. You guys are making all the reliability worry warts who have started numerous threads on the reliability of this car look reasonable and rational.

Old 06-27-2005, 06:21 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Some common sense thinking here: At 98k, while your MINI probably looks and performs as it was new, the resale value has dropped quite a bit simply due to the amount of miles. The JCW kit, while expensive, does include a new head and supercharger, both of which are wear items. If you look at it from this perspective, you are getting a partial upper-end engine rebuild for the price, which is wasted on a new car/engine. This is a positive along with the JCW cachet. The car will perform well, guaranteed. Downside? Dont expect the kind of return on your investment like you would if you installed your JCW early on and had low miles on your car. And while you will get a warranty on the JCW kit install itself (usually 12mo/12k) from your dealer, the overall warranty is long gone, so the other big benefit that some people enjoy about JCW is not an option either.

You can approach or exceed the performance levels of the JCW for less than half the cost using aftermarket items (pulley, intake, exhaust, chip tuning, etc), with the savings going towards things like upgraded wheels/tires, suspension, LSD, dressup items, stereo, what have you. So for the same potential costs as a JCW installation, you have added much more to your car.

Old 06-27-2005, 08:19 AM
camelpilot
Banned
Originally Posted by planeguy
Ok, dont get me wrong here. But why are we talking like the MINI is going to fall apart at 100,000 miles. I would have never bought a car if I planned on it comming to pieces at 100k. You guys are making all the reliability worry warts who have started numerous threads on the reliability of this car look reasonable and rational.
Well, high mileage engines don't really take the strain like when they were younger. 98K actually isnt that many miles, you could probably redline the engine alot until about 140K, after that you need to nurse it. The crank area is usually the part that doesnt like high mileage strain. I say drive it until it smokes!!!!!

Old 06-27-2005, 06:17 PM
whskysouth
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by camelpilot
I say drive it until it smokes!!!!!
Camelpilot, that is excatly what I plan on doing. Then after that.... Look for another engine and do it all over again.

GreatBear great post!!!

Old 06-28-2005, 02:51 AM
d6-mcs
4th Gear
100k on car isnt that bad...these motors are strong engine...they have a 4 bolt main on the bottom end with i believe forged internals and the heads are good....change the head gasket if it needs it and mod that crap out of it.....have fun with the thing....i have 60k on my mini and i still pull away from m3's...:smile:

BATES

Old 06-28-2005, 09:27 AM
RomhoG
2nd Gear
so wait a sec here.
The package does not have a warranty with a car off the drivetrain stock warranty? I would think the parts themselves would at least be covered.
Is this correct?
Thanks

Old 06-28-2005, 06:18 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
I think you're right ... there is probably a "basic" warranty included with the JCW upgrade - maybe a year for the new parts? Can't find any info in the brochure or online.

Old 06-28-2005, 06:44 PM
kalbone
5th Gear
twin charge it.

Old 06-28-2005, 09:24 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
I agree with the above poster. Do the stage 1 twincharger system. Very close to the same amount of $$, but you get 50+ hp more than what the JCW package will get you. Also, be sure to have that supercharger replaced soon...a little preventative maintenance never hurts