Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Twin Screw

Old 06-08-2005, 01:02 PM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Twin Screw

I thought 'someone' was working on one for the Mini??? Comments anyone??? Upsides, downsides???

Michael

Old 06-08-2005, 01:23 PM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Micheal! Randy Webb is the source of knowledge on this one. I haven't chatted with him on this in a few weeks, but there are some challenges in making this a viable option for us; the horrendous exchange rate, and the sourcing of the sc itself come-to-mind...

Old 06-08-2005, 01:41 PM
62Lincoln
5th Gear
Meb, I think we've shared this link in the past, but for those that haven't seen it, here's a very good explanation of why a twin screw is superior to a roots-type s/c:

http://www.kennebell.net/techinfo/ge...romcatalog.pdf

I wish we could get a twin screw for a decent price, but it just doesn't appear our application represents enough volume to get economies of scale. Bummer.

Old 06-08-2005, 02:05 PM
meb
6th Gear
Hellooo Tony!

62Lincoln - yes we have.

I keep getting my stone busted by a friend who owns a Cigarette - boat - with an supercharged 8 litre V8 making something like 900hp. He waxes eloquent the obvious differences between the roots and screw type SC. I don't swim well so I don't pose much of a threat while over open water...just waiting to sneak up on him on the highway one day...teach him to make fun of my Mini...said I should be wearing a clown suit!

Do I correctly assume that a Wipple-charger is nothing more than a brand name for a twin screw?

Exchange rates...yuk! Very technical term BTW

Michael

Old 06-09-2005, 04:28 AM
62Lincoln
5th Gear
The Whipple is indeed just a brand name for a screw type s/c.

Old 06-10-2005, 09:35 AM
uae mini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why can't it be sourced from the US?

I really like the idea of the TWINZ but no one seams to be able to deliver.
What $$$ are we talking about if it had to come from Europe?

350whp is what I'm looking for and thats the ticket, well I believe, that would get me closer to my goal.

The twincharger would be too hot for our weather and the track. I like the turbo only idea but no one has one out yet at a reasonable price.

All in all I'm thinking of getting a 2nd car.. a *** since its very easy to mod and find parts at increadible prices (good parts).

Now look where I'm going

Old 06-11-2009, 05:56 AM
mcs_jcw
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 62Lincoln
The Whipple is indeed just a brand name for a screw type s/c.
http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/....asp?PageID=57

Old 06-11-2009, 06:13 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Back from the dead!

Implementing a twin-screw supercharger is still the best solution, IMO. Rotrex has no low-end torque, turbos have crap drivability purity, and the roots blowers are way inefficient. Now, who will be the first to actually get a twin-screw bolted on?

Old 06-11-2009, 01:13 PM
M!N!-ME
3rd Gear
If Eaton ever drops the TVS R900....It shall be I

Old 06-11-2009, 08:38 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryephile
Back from the dead!

Implementing a twin-screw supercharger is still the best solution, IMO. Rotrex has no low-end torque, turbos have crap drivability purity, and the roots blowers are way inefficient. Now, who will be the first to actually get a twin-screw bolted on?
Ryephile,

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, find your way out to SoCal and take a spin in Longboard's Rotrex'd car....you will definitely change your view in regards to the Rotrex.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:29 PM
M3NTAL
4th Gear
heat=bad & twin screw is mucho caliente

Old 06-12-2009, 02:27 AM
D-MAN
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
Back from the dead!

Already done..... just not in the States

RMS had a kit available that used an opcon twinscrew SC
http://www.rms-tuning.com/cms/index....d=39&Itemid=58

Also Adam from minimania UK has been developing a kit ... I think it has been shelved due to economic climate (but if enough people showed interest he might get things going again).
http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f24/...rcharger-2136/

Old 06-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by M3NTAL
heat=bad & twin screw is mucho caliente
Which is why the Rotrex works so well .

LB

Old 06-12-2009, 10:22 AM
big howe
5th Gear
I'm not sure how many of those Opcon kits were fully developed. In theory they show promise but I haven't seen any performance data, nor have I looked very hard either. Right now the Rotrex and TVS show the most promise.
The Rotrex is pretty much finished, but still has a good deal of more power potential, and the TVS, if and when the 900 is released, will be an obvious choice. The efficiencies rival that of a turbo.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:51 AM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I would want to see the charts from Eaton and Opcon, but I would wager that the Opcon was a bit more efficient. Last I checked the rotrex was a one of custom. Is that no longer the case?

Old 06-13-2009, 10:54 AM
big howe
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Some Guy
I would want to see the charts from Eaton and Opcon, but I would wager that the Opcon was a bit more efficient. Last I checked the rotrex was a one of custom. Is that no longer the case?
I have the charts for the Eaton TVS, and it is very close to turbo efficiencies at certain pressure ratios. I've heard they have already developed Gen2 cases for the TVS which make them more efficient.
I have never seen the efficiency data for the Opcon, or performance data. Nor have I looked very hard.
As for production of the Rotrex, it's probably closer than anything else at this point. You'd have to talk with RMW to get the actual status, but I'd bet with enough people pushing they'd get made in a timely matter.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The twinscrew is nice...

but because it compresses at all RPMs besides just moving air (that's the source of it's high TEs), it takes a MORE WORK to twist it when at light load or low RPM. While the TEs are very good, I'm thinking the TVS will put a stake in the twinscrew heart. Here's why: THe twinscrew has very tight (much tighter than Eaton designs) so the manufacturing costs are higher. Couple that with the high licensing charges to make them to the holder of the IP, and you get a very high cost unit.

All told, the TVS design has much improved TEs, lower cost manufacturing, and the only thing that sucks is right now, it's only really done via OEMs who design the integrated cases, and I haven't seen the "bolt on aftermarket" versions like there are for the non-TVS Gen iV/V Eaton units. But anyway, as long as the licensing costs for the twin screw stay high, I'm thinking they've priced themselves out of the market, especially here in the states....

Matt

Old 06-13-2009, 06:06 PM
mcs_jcw
2nd Gear
Before some tries out the twin-screw will get mad thinking of the best choice.
I'm not quite sure. But I think there's a Greek guy who has a RMS Opcon kit fitted. Around 295-297 bhp.
Every now and then, I have a look at RMS price list and I think that's too much for a S/C. The whole kit price is mind-blowing! About 12k €, so around 17k bucks.
The Opcon S/C alone is around 5k€ so $7k. Still a lot!
Still I haven't made up me mind about what to do when I get 100k km or so. Yet, I still have time since me milage is 40k km in 2 and a 1/2 years.
I will keep researching, and see what I'll do.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mcs_jcw
Every now and then, I have a look at RMS price list and I think that's too much for a S/C. The whole kit price is mind-blowing! About 12k €, so around 17k bucks.
The Opcon S/C alone is around 5k€ so $7k. Still a lot!
I'll take that turbo now.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:50 PM
Longboard Mini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Some Guy
I'll take that turbo now.
But then you would have to change the pic in your sig because you will no longer have a Cooper S .

LB

Old 06-13-2009, 10:47 PM
big howe
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mcs_jcw
But I think there's a Greek guy who has a RMS Opcon kit fitted. Around 295-297 bhp.
Yes, but 297bhp is around low 260's at the wheels, if it has been quoted correct. And nowadays 260 is pretty standard fair on the M45 with the correct package. I would expect more considering the efficiency and dollars spent if the pricing is correct.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:44 AM
mcs_jcw
2nd Gear
Leave you the link so you can have a look at it.
http://rms-tuning.com/pdf/VKMini.pdf
Every is in German so a translator will help.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
They've been doing this

four at least 4 years..... And it comes down to the same thing: heck of a lot of money.....

Matt

Old 06-17-2009, 09:42 PM
cesare
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
but because it compresses at all RPMs besides just moving air (that's the source of it's high TEs), it takes a MORE WORK to twist it when at light load or low RPM. While the TEs are very good, I'm thinking the TVS will put a stake in the twinscrew heart. Here's why: THe twinscrew has very tight (much tighter than Eaton designs) so the manufacturing costs are higher. Couple that with the high licensing charges to make them to the holder of the IP, and you get a very high cost unit.

All told, the TVS design has much improved TEs, lower cost manufacturing, and the only thing that sucks is right now, it's only really done via OEMs who design the integrated cases, and I haven't seen the "bolt on aftermarket" versions like there are for the non-TVS Gen iV/V Eaton units. But anyway, as long as the licensing costs for the twin screw stay high, I'm thinking they've priced themselves out of the market, especially here in the states....

Matt
Also owning a S197 Mustang i'll tell you that the aftermarket does have a few kits for the TVS blower. Edelbrock has a really nice TVS-2300 kit for around $6k and it add's around 160+hp to the 3V 4.6 Litre engine.....and thats at ONLY around 5lbs of boost!

The TVS will truly be the next big step for power hungry mini owners for sure

Old 06-17-2009, 10:16 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I stand corrected...

but most of the TVS apps are for much higher volume cars than the Mini.

Matt

Mustangs Rock!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drivetrain Twin Screw