Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Need some mod advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 10:46 PM
CGaboury
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need some mod advice

So here's the deal...

2002 R53. 120k miles

I'm looking to plan out my next set of modifications and I'm not sure what direction to head in. Here's what's done so far...

Cat back exhaust (eBay)
AFE Cold air intake
Cravenspeed 17% pulley
Airtec Intercooler
Detroit speed bypass valve
ST suspension coilovers

Should I consider more power mods...header, cam, injectors, coil? Will this net me any real power gains? What's a good estimate of my current HP?

This car is daily driven. Not a track car. Just the usual spirited street driving.

Would suspension upgrades be a better upgrade at this point? If so, what do you suggest.

I'm fully aware this isn't a straight line car. I've got a 600HP firebird for that. But I'd like a car that's at least decently quick on the street.

Thanks!

Old 07-09-2015, 06:11 AM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
A header and cam will definitely net you more HP, but you'd probably wanna upgrade your fuel injectors too. And with that, you'd need a tune. Common estimates are that a header and cam will each get you 7-10 HP. I'm not sure what your current HP might be....maybe 200 WHP? My '06 with almost 61000 miles made 216 WHP and 192 lb ft TQ on a blistering FL summer day and a low-reading dyno. (See my sig for build details). Mine is a spirited DD too, and I'm very very happy with how the car drives and handles now.

I believe in buying quality parts for my baby, so I went with RMW for the header, cam, injectors, and tune. It was $2000 for all that (excluding labor), but to me it was worth it. MINIs are more about the handling, so if you're satisfied w/the power you get now, your money might be best spent on the suspension (rear sway bar?) or light wheels.

With adding power, I did learn a hard lesson: more power will expose any weakness in the car, so before taking that next step make sure all maintenance is done, and everything is tight & right.

HTH

PS: IMHO, unless you need to replace it, skip the coil. I've heard way more bad than good about MSD & Screamin' Demon coils. OEM seems to do just fine.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:44 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
ill save you some cash, you can keep the intercooler off your list for now, the stock intercooler is just fine for the street. I love the airtec, I want one myself, but a meth injection is $200 cheaper and will work way better.

ive just recently put a header on my car, a 4-2-1 and I could feel a difference from about 4.5k rpm up. but it was also catless which im sure contributed. id say go for it, they also make the car sound real good!

I haven't put a cam in my car yet, I was also planning on putting in a big valve head as well. not sure when that's in the pipe line for me.

although I am running sticky tires, and I can break them loose on the streets going around some good corners, which makes me think, I would need only the power between the corners, then ill need better brakes.

suspension will definently help you, since these cars are meant for it. the bypass valve may not be needed, but only you can tell yourself that. need to look for that fluctuating boost.

injectors are not needed unless you start getting into the head. the stock 330's will be working with a 15% pulley,header,intake, and cam, but they will do, could move up to the 380's with no issue or tune needed. higher than that you will need a tune

Old 07-09-2015, 09:29 AM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
When you start looking at the injectors do your research. I went from the 330s to the 380s but I went with the Volvo 380 injectors. They are one fourth the price of the JCWs and have new technology. The specs are exactly that of the JCWs also. You will have to buy pig tail adapters but those are about $25 for four. There is a huge thread on them in the R53 Forums. I have had them now for about 5,000 miles and no issues.
I did a resonator delete and gained a small amount of power according to my butt dyno. I just picked up an M7 PowerTone cat back exhaust yesterday and will have it installed in a few weeks. I'll let you know how it does.
CAI", I'm running an Alta. Not a noticeable gain like it is in a naturally aspirated engine. Sounds cool though and more air will be needed down the line from what it sounds like from what you are wanting to do.
I went from a JCW pulley to a 17% pulley. It was not the type of power gain I expected it to be, but it was a definite power boost. I expected neck jerk type power, instead I got a linear power increase that really surprised me.
Suspension, I just had the Koni FSDs installed, it's a DD with no plans of lowering. They work really well. I have an HSport rear sway bar sitting at home waiting to be installed. From what I have read it will be a great mod to the car.
I know they are not near you but you should call and talk to people like Jerry at EuroTechs in Arizona and Way at Way Motor Works for some advice. I have dealt with both of them and they seem to be very knowledgeable.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:08 PM
CGaboury
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the record, the items listed above I've already done. Pulley, Intercooler, exhaust etc.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:15 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
The best bang for the buck mod would be and Hsport Comp rear sway bar. That will improve the handling the most.

For HP we have a great mild cam that will net you some nice gains without breaking the bank.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/way-mil...t-r52-r53.html

Headers do have gains, but they are small and will make the exhaust louder.

Also look at an ATI Damper as the crank pulley is a common failure and just good maint item to replace.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 07-11-2015, 01:18 PM
batrugger
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't get an aftermarket coil or wires. None of them have shown any gains over the OEM and MSD's have even fried some ECU's. Your intercooler was wasted money. Sell it and go back to the OEM. If your not going to get a BVH then header, cam, injectors, and a tune would be what you want to do. Way is right about that sway bar though. It makes a big difference in handling if that is what you are looking for.