Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Highest power (with good power delivery) on N18

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 08:23 AM
Kenny Woo
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Highest power (with good power delivery) on N18

Hello folks!

I recently scored me a 2013 R58 Cooper S. It’s a manual and I’m enjoying every moment!

I was hoping to find a JCW R58 but in the whole of Australia, there was only one for sale and he wasn’t answering my texts and phone calls were not going thru!

So this manual 2013 Coupe Cooper S had to do and I’ve just taken her home.

My intention was for this car to be a project and something I keep for a very Long time. Not something I need to drive daily but reliability has to be there (who likes breakdowns?)

If I could ask for some recommendations on a dream list of ideal parts and the best that one can squeeze out of the N18 motor.. Basically as much power as I can squeeze out without sacrificing a good mid range and pulling power in the Low end..

I’m contemplating a rebuild of the engine, properly balanced, port and polished. Would appreciate recommendations on pistons, rods, turbo, intercooler, radiator... basically anything necessary to keep the car performing optimally day in day out despite not being driven as a daily driver.

Ive gotten an idea on the exterior look I want to accomplish so I will share that once I get a quote back on the parts and start the ordering!

Thanks in advance for the advise and recommendations! Appreciate it very much and look forward to sharing this journey with everyone!

Old 07-21-2019, 11:05 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Before you buy too many parts, find a tuner then work with him for what to buy and when to buy it.

Maybe browse for N18 build threads and learn from them about parts and reliability, but definitely start with a tuner.

Old 07-22-2019, 02:57 AM
knt
3rd Gear
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
What "oldbrokenwind" said, You might find that a good stage 1 or 2 tune and some minor mods be enough for you without spending big money on stage 3 or 4+.

But, if you've deep pockets and decide to to big project make sure you do your homework about the company rebuilding the engine as many will say they can do it but will not do a proper job of it.

Old 07-22-2019, 04:20 AM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I have a Stage 3 N18 so I have a bit of experience.

Start small, as the others said. The less power you make, the more reliable the car will be. Stage 1 or 2 is a huge gain over stock, and the increments between Stages 1, 2, and 3 are not as big as stock to Stage 1.

The other benefit to starting only with Stage 1 or 2 is you keep the power delivery of the stock turbo, which spools more or less instantly. If you're looking for good low end torque, the stock turbo is really good. Your power limit on that turbo though is going to be in the range of 220-230 whp.

Once you upgrade the turbo is where is gets a little more complicated. Power delivery really is dependent on the combination of turbo and tune. In general, the bigger the turbo, the more your usable power will be pushed up the rev range. So if you go with something on the larger size like a JMTC GTD (47mm compressor) you may find that you won't get that big turbo shove until 3k rpm, but something smaller like an S42 or Mario's 43mm turbo will feel a bit more like stock just with a little more power up top and a more even power delivery rather than spiking and dying off.

Also, for reliability's sake, I would recommend looking into methanol injection if you're going beyond stage 1 and upgraded rod and head bolts if you're going beyond stage 2. These are recommendations from experience. I've blown 2 motors, one on stage 2 and one on 3.

I could get into other factors as well like LSDs and tires and sway bars and their effects on power delivery but in general your focus on power will be in the engine bay.

I can say that my setup works for me. I wanted to build a car for mountain driving. Quick spooling, takes corners hard. It is not built for straight line speed. I had bought a lot of parts from MarioKart prior to my turbo and when I told him what I was after he recommended his 43mm turbo because a lot of autocross guys liked it. It's perfect for me. I feel like if I had went bigger I'd be missing the low end torque. However I have a friend that comes from the world of muscle cars with a very similar build to mine and he wishes he went bigger for the straight line speed.

The following 3 users liked this post by thebombardier:
mountainhorse (01-27-2020), OSilvera (12-05-2019), SunBird (11-18-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 07:25 PM
Kenny Woo
1st Gear
@knt @oldbrokenwind

Thanks for the responses guys! Appreciate it very much. Yes i fully agree. Unfortunately "tuning activities" or aftermarket activities for Mini here in Perth, Western Australia is truly in short supply. I met with 1 guy that used to work on my E46 almost 15 years ago and i think he should be the right guy for the job.

This is my 2nd experience with the R58, my 1st time being a 2013 JCW Steptronic when i was living in Malaysia. Loved every moment but didnt do very much with it mod wise.

This time round i got this car as a project with the intention of squeezing as much power as possible out of this car. As much as i can get. I know some wise-guy will come along telling me about slapping on a big turbo and having power for 1000 rpm at the top end... And hence my caveat in brackets about usable power..

I think what i will do is try to get it up to stage 2 as stage 2 seems to be the place where the supporting hardware goes in (intercooler, larger radiator, oil coolers, head studs etc). Stage 3 will be a new turbo relying on the support of all that good gear in stage 2 so no harm going to stage 2 and then working out stage 3 with an engine rebuild if at all.

Thanks again folk. Am excited and looking forward to sharing the journey with everyone!!

Old 07-22-2019, 07:33 PM
Kenny Woo
1st Gear
Originally Posted by thebombardier
I have a Stage 3 N18 so I have a bit of experience.

Start small, as the others said. The less power you make, the more reliable the car will be. Stage 1 or 2 is a huge gain over stock, and the increments between Stages 1, 2, and 3 are not as big as stock to Stage 1.

The other benefit to starting only with Stage 1 or 2 is you keep the power delivery of the stock turbo, which spools more or less instantly. If you're looking for good low end torque, the stock turbo is really good. Your power limit on that turbo though is going to be in the range of 220-230 whp.

Once you upgrade the turbo is where is gets a little more complicated. Power delivery really is dependent on the combination of turbo and tune. In general, the bigger the turbo, the more your usable power will be pushed up the rev range. So if you go with something on the larger size like a JMTC GTD (47mm compressor) you may find that you won't get that big turbo shove until 3k rpm, but something smaller like an S42 or Mario's 43mm turbo will feel a bit more like stock just with a little more power up top and a more even power delivery rather than spiking and dying off.

Also, for reliability's sake, I would recommend looking into methanol injection if you're going beyond stage 1 and upgraded rod and head bolts if you're going beyond stage 2. These are recommendations from experience. I've blown 2 motors, one on stage 2 and one on 3.

I could get into other factors as well like LSDs and tires and sway bars and their effects on power delivery but in general your focus on power will be in the engine bay.

I can say that my setup works for me. I wanted to build a car for mountain driving. Quick spooling, takes corners hard. It is not built for straight line speed. I had bought a lot of parts from MarioKart prior to my turbo and when I told him what I was after he recommended his 43mm turbo because a lot of autocross guys liked it. It's perfect for me. I feel like if I had went bigger I'd be missing the low end torque. However I have a friend that comes from the world of muscle cars with a very similar build to mine and he wishes he went bigger for the straight line speed.
Thanks so much for the response! Was truly informative.

I will reach out to this gentleman @MarioKart to see on some of the parts. I can then begin to assemble the "support hardware" and get the car up to stage 2. At that point, enjoy it abit on the road and then possibly drop the engine to do everything else and a new turbo which may very well take months.

Do you mind if i reach out to you via pm from time to time on some advise or some first hand experience on how your mods and tune is working for you?

What tune/program would you recommend? I see alot of rave reviews for a Manic one. But also some called NM?

Thank you once again!

*EDIT* I see from your signature you are using Manic. Will google more on the manic tune which seems to be hugely popular! Thanks!

Old 07-23-2019, 03:01 AM
knt
3rd Gear
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Doesn't look like you've many Manic tuners in your area

http://www.manicmini.com/dealer-map/4586066233