Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Oil filter cap modified for senders

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 11:42 PM
Svampfest
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Oil filter cap modified for senders

Hello,

I have come across with a German manufacturer making solid machined oil filter caps with 2 threaded connections.

https://www.merx-tuning.de/olfilterdeckel-fur-mini-one-cooper-cooper-s.html

Would I able to read oil pressure and oil temp reliably from this part?

Thank you

Old 07-14-2019, 04:05 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,714 Likes on 1,381 Posts
Looks cool. Should be good for temperature. Not sure about the reliability of pressure readings.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:14 AM
Yupetc
4th Gear
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
That's a great find! Are there any other methods of obtaining oil temp readings besides tapping through the OBD plug-in? Does anyone know? If not, then this may the closest I can get to getting that reading sent to an extra gauge into my dash.

Old 07-15-2019, 02:36 PM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 549 Likes on 446 Posts
Oil temp is best read via the drain plug. Check the VDO website for combo plug/sending units. Summit Racing also sells them.

The following users liked this post:
MINI33342 (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 01:21 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
https://www.outmotoring.com/cravensp...r-install.html

you want to install an oil temp gauge, getting the temperature from your oil pan is now simple. Just install the temp probe into our specially machined adapter, then replace the drain plug in the oil pan with them paired together. One of the easiest gauge adapters to install.

$30

Old 07-17-2019, 03:34 AM
njaremka
Alliance Member
Received 1,714 Likes on 1,381 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
https://www.outmotoring.com/cravensp...r-install.html

you want to install an oil temp gauge, getting the temperature from your oil pan is now simple. Just install the temp probe into our specially machined adapter, then replace the drain plug in the oil pan with them paired together. One of the easiest gauge adapters to install.

$30
But that is for the 1st gen cars... The 2nd gen engines have the drain plug on the bottom of the oil pan, which makes installing an oil temp gauge in the drain plug a non-option.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:05 PM
Yupetc
4th Gear
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by njaremka
But that is for the 1st gen cars... The 2nd gen engines have the drain plug on the bottom of the oil pan, which makes installing an oil temp gauge in the drain plug a non-option.

Exactly what I'm wondering, too. Looks like CravenSpeed has a water temp T-joint to plug into the outlet hose from Thermostat housing. With that I think we can still get a good engine temperature reading, possibly slightly lowered because iit measures the coolant temperature after it exits the engine. But any reading associated to engine temp is better than no readout at all, right? I very interested to move onto the coolant T-joint method. This is the link: https://www.cravenspeed.com/water-te...r56-2007-2013/

Old 09-28-2019, 04:16 AM
bluescreen
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Yupetc
Exactly what I'm wondering, too. Looks like CravenSpeed has a water temp T-joint to plug into the outlet hose from Thermostat housing. With that I think we can still get a good engine temperature reading, possibly slightly lowered because iit measures the coolant temperature after it exits the engine. But any reading associated to engine temp is better than no readout at all, right? I very interested to move onto the coolant T-joint method. This is the link: https://www.cravenspeed.com/water-te...r56-2007-2013/
I have installed a similar one from aliexpress, for 5$ instead of 60 from cravenspeed, and i get the same exact temperatures with the obd reading. This is for water temp.

I have installed an adapter and an elbow to the top of the block where the oil pressure sensor is and i get the oil pressure from there,

and i bought the aluminum oil cap from merx-tuning for oil temp but i havent installed it yet. The temp from the drain plug is out of question as the car is lowered and it will brake for sure.

The following users liked this post:
Svampfest (10-03-2019)
Old 02-07-2020, 05:15 AM
bluescreen
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
UPDATE

I am using the cap from merx-tuning for a while and everything is ok. I read my oil temp from there. One thing to check is the sensor seal. The cap says that the threads for the sensors are tapered and therefor self sealing. For me that was not the case! I had to put a copper washer to seal it.

Old 02-09-2020, 11:47 AM
Svampfest
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bluescreen
UPDATE

I am using the cap from merx-tuning for a while and everything is ok. I read my oil temp from there. One thing to check is the sensor seal. The cap says that the threads for the sensors are tapered and therefor self sealing. For me that was not the case! I had to put a copper washer to seal it.
Glad it's sorted out for you.

Still waiting those .stl files for gauge pods 😁