Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Do Foam Air Filters (DDM/Alta) Effectively Filter Debris?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 12:09 AM
Marc08EX
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Do Foam Air Filters (DDM/Alta) Effectively Filter Debris?

Hi NAM!

I recently got my R53 MCS and I’m already thinking about putting and intake and exhaust on it LOL.

I’ve been doing a lot of reading about intake systems and it seems that a lot of people like the Alta or DDM intake systems. But I noticed that these systems use foam air filters. I’m used to K&N type air filters and I’ve always thought that foam filters don’t filter debris or particulates as effectively as the K&N type of air filter.

Is this true? Or do you think the foam filters are good in filtering the bad stuff in the air?

Old 06-18-2019, 06:17 PM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
They use foam filters on ATVs. If an oiled foam filter can deal with fine dirt, it can deal with street stuff.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:11 AM
OCR
5th Gear
Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts
Years back, I was totally against them for street use. They did NOT do even remotely a good job. Good for keeping rocks out only.

Over time (about ten+ years) and competition (more brands), they all got better. I have a K&N that is a "factory" part for one of my motorcycles. It does a good job of even keeping the finer dust out of the airbox. I have white cotton gloves from work...yes I white cotton glove checked my air box for dust one tune-up interval. All was good..!

Stay away from foam filters. They do such a good job of filtering, that they also restrict air flow at mid to higher rpm's. I've seen this first hand on chassis dyno's with the sniffer up the tail pipe. The higher the rpm, the richer the system, as compared to the same engine with a cotton filter, just a few minutes before. I've seen this more than once on more than one dyno.

Your choice, your money.

Mike

Old 06-19-2019, 11:21 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc08EX
Or do you think the foam filters are good in filtering the bad stuff in the air?
As far as I am aware, they are not good in filtering the bad stuff in the air, if you live depends on it, like in an aircraft. Aircraft with reciprocal engines use cotton fiber filters rather than the "high performance" foam. But then you can get better performance without filter, like yesteryears' carburetors with just the air horns if you don't need to worry about pulling over and park in the air.